Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Buffaloriver   Phoenix23   Buffaloriver   JeffK   Buffaloriver   JeffK   Buffaloriver   Buffaloriver   Buffaloriver   JeffK   Buffaloriver  
 Member  Message

Buffaloriver
View Profile

New to Burms

well want to intro myself my name is Keisha Howell I have several reptiles but my newest addition is an albino green burmese his name is whopper cause we stopped at Burger King on our way home with this baby he is very very young maybe 6 mnths eating like a champ ate two small pre killed rats as soon as we got home with him
I am in the process of building enclosures for the other two I have bought they will be here in Jan. and I may be on here asking some of you for advise hope you dont mind helping me out

12/23/10  08:59pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2194073

New to Burms

Since nobody else has said anything I will...... That a beauty you got there..... Keep giving us updates on him.... and make sure you post about the others your going to get too..... I’ve alwasy wanted an albino green.... very clean lookin....... And ask any questions you want..... most people on here are very helpful

12/31/10  10:42am

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2195404

New to Burms

thanks very much he was pretty dehydrated when we got him and hadnt eaten in a while i am proud to say he ate 2 small rats 2 days after i got him and a med. a week later and is now getting ready to shed so i think he is going to do great

12/31/10  06:24pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2195477

New to Burms

good looking burm. And please do keep us updated on him, the forums have been pretty dead lately. It’s good to see a responsible burm owner. Have a great new years!

12/31/10  08:13pm

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2195489

New to Burms

Ok I got up this morning and my baby has a bit of a runny nose so I checked temps and it is good and warm right above his heating pad but on the other side where he is staying was like 68 I couldnt believe it since the box he was in is only about 18 X 24 if that big so I moved him to a small tank with heating pad and heat lamp for the day to heat him up good with the light on the temp gradiant is 80-101 without the light it is 76-98 I kinda think the runny nose is a delayed reaction to the stress he went through just before I bought him so here is his story My husband and I walked into the pet store looking for a burm (he wanted one for christmas/ our anniversary) they had a nasty hissing striking reg 6 foot young burm I wasnt going to touch and this sweet little guy who had came in an hour earlier when I picked him up he was like ice he was so cold they said the guy traded him for store credit and they planned on feeding him up before putting him up for sale cause he looked starved and pretty dehydrated they said the guy that brought him in delt in a lot of reptiles and was keeping him at the bare minimum but like i said he was
Cold , dehydrated, and very hungry judging by the wrinckles and loose skin
I brought him home and kept him in the small sweater box to let him recover with the least amount of stress possible so my question is should I try to get him hotter or just keep doing what I am doing if you hold him to your ear you can hear some clicking when he breaths this just started today and I do not want it to get out of hand

01/02/11  09:24pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2195876

New to Burms

The runny nose/clicking sounds are signs of RI. What are your temps/humidity at? It may not be your fault if you purchased him from a pet store. If at all possible take him to see a vet.

Unfortunately i don’t know much about RI or how to treat it. Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will chime in and help you out.

Good luck, i hope everything turns out fine.

01/02/11  10:27pm

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2195897

New to Burms

Yelp I knew it was a sign of RI and I have bumped up temps unfortunatly my vet doesnt see reptiles and the closest one that does is still an hour away and they are more interested in money than animals they dont come with a good reputation. My vet will give me any meds I need they just dont work on reptiles I am going to see if the extra heat helps right now I have the tank he is in running between 82 and 101 humidity 70 % I am reading that the burmese are prone to RI if this is true someone here will know how to deal with it right now i am sure he isnt in trouble he is still active and he has eaten 3 rats in the 2 weeks I have had him seems pretty alert tonight and nose isnt runny anymore I havnt picked him up to listen to him breath dont want to bother him just want to keep him warm and cozy

01/02/11  10:45pm

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2195907

New to Burms

i am happy to report he sounds much better this morning I think I caught it early enough

01/03/11  08:56am

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2195962

New to Burms

He ate this morning too so I am pretty sure he is fine

01/03/11  03:50pm

JeffK
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2196024

New to Burms

Good to hear. Glad everything is fine with the little guy.

01/03/11  05:20pm

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: JeffK   In reference to Message Id: 2196049

New to Burms

Thank You I am watching him shed right at this minute so I would say he is GREAT

01/03/11  09:02pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area