Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pyboathon   BigBoyzBoids   Phoenix23   Pyboathon   Phoenix23   BigBoyzBoids   CupcakeSmith   Phoenix23   CupcakeSmith   Phoenix23   BigBoyzBoids   Boc   Dracen knights   Phoenix23   Dracen knights   Jon whittington   Phoenix23   Boomalang   Boomalang   Phoenix23   Boomalang   Egreen2010   Mhd730399  

Member  Message

Pyboathon
View Profile

Cage suggestions

So my 2 yr old albino Burmese "powder" is ready for a bigger cage. I have been looking online for one and the biggest one I have found is the vision cage 632 which is 6ft by 3ft. Has anyone had any experience with keeping a Burmese in one of these. I have a baby on the way so the only way my wife will let me keep her, powder that is, is if I have her in a noway, can’t escape, even when she is 200lb cage. So I am hesitant about building my own.

11/30/10  09:13am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Pyboathon   In reference to Message Id: 2190176

Cage suggestions

my breeder keeps his in 4l by 4w by 2h and he has some big 16+ footers. depending on your feelings about it i would build one. i was going to buy a custom enclosure for my monitors and decided to build one that is 6l by 4w by 2h and cost me around 150 . if you want to give them space to roam or stretch out build your own. i have to build 3 more of them i got 3 burmese pythons right now and they are growing fast. i got a normal in july about 18 inches and she is already 5ft my male albino is 4+foot i got him as a hatchling in august and i just but a granite hatchling a week or so ago. so unless you dont have the time or resources i would build one.

11/30/10  01:51pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2190212

Cage suggestions

They dont sell enclosure big enough.... forsure gotta build one.... thats what i do...4x4x2 is a little small... breeders do it cause they gotta make money and more space they have more money they can make.... but if you aren’t breeder then give it a better home.... i found that if my snakes are happy with their enclosures then they never try and get out.... yes the roam but not a "get me outta here" kind of roam...... i’ve built 2 as of now and both are 6x3x2 and the next one i build is going to be 8x3x2.... I think those measurements are the smallest you should go...

These are the ones i’ve made so far.... it takes work and time but i think it was well worth it... also i did things you dont really need which cost more

12/03/10  02:11pm

Pyboathon
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2190770

Cage suggestions

well the vision cage I was going to get is 6ft by 3ft, which is the same size as yours. Yours do look amazing, i wish I was that talented

12/04/10  08:40pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Pyboathon   In reference to Message Id: 2190992

Cage suggestions

oh really... are they mad expensive tho..... i actually saw some the other day for sale that were bigger than mine.... but they cost almost a grand...... and thanks

12/05/10  10:46pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2191231

Cage suggestions

boa master and boaphile and monster cages all make big enclosures also

12/29/10  12:19pm

CupcakeSmith
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2190770

Cage suggestions

hey, awesome enclosures. how do you go about installing those light fixtures? and i noticed the thermostats and plug ins on the side. i have no clue how to even start that, other than siliconing and screwing on the actuale fixtures.

03/06/11  12:17am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: CupcakeSmith   In reference to Message Id: 2208243

Cage suggestions

Thanks..... It basic electrical from grade 10 and 11.... I couldnt really explain how to do it as thats all i know how to do....lol... and the thermostate on the side is just one i picked up from lowes and i use it for all my tanks... once i have the temps set i dont really need it cause my room stays pretty much the same all the time..... The switcches on the outside i just looked up in a book i had once again from school..... had the book for ten years and finally it comes in handy

03/07/11  02:03am

CupcakeSmith
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2208440

Cage suggestions

thanks
i didn’t take electrical in highschool so I guess I’m screwed. But what do you plug in? whats the power source? do you have a cord that gets plugged into an outlet or is it wired directly into your house? the pictures are confusing because it seems like the fixtures are connected to something on the side, but then what is that box connected to? see what i mean?

03/07/11  12:14pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: CupcakeSmith   In reference to Message Id: 2208486

Cage suggestions

ya i see what your sayin.... The lights go to the switch box and i cut an old extension cord and have that going from the box to an outlet in the wall.... The outlet on the enclosure i just added on to make it easy when i wanna vaccum or something.... I actually use it mostly to plug my laptop in....:)

oh and you see 2 switches....one is for the day time lights and the other is for the night time

03/08/11  04:55am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2208606

Cage suggestions

if you dont feel safe cutting electric cords look up online it will tell you how to wire correctly and all you will have to do is go out and buy the supplies you need the light fixtures, romex, switches, and the plug of course. i like phoenix took some shop classes which make wiring a little easier for me

03/08/11  12:39pm

Boc
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2208649

Cage suggestions

Any electrical questions I will have no problem answering I am a licensed electrician in ct so I will try to explain the best I can

03/08/11  08:09pm

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: Boc   In reference to Message Id: 2208700

Cage suggestions

I’m here also if boc isn’t in I’m a lisc. electrician in tx and la. with 10+ years experience. I have been thinking about doing up a basic how-to on this but haven’t had time yet...

03/09/11  12:42pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Dracen knights   In reference to Message Id: 2208784

Cage suggestions

that would be a good idea Dracen.....

03/09/11  01:41pm

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2208789

Cage suggestions

I will more then likely get to doing it before to long but right now I do have one major tip...... the black wire (which is the hot one) always connects to the brass (gold screw) it doesn’t make a difference if its on the plus or the outlet or the light (which honestly doesn’t matter) now the thermostat changes depending on the maker.

03/09/11  04:38pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Dracen knights   In reference to Message Id: 2208820

Cage suggestions

I notice that there are speakers in the background,does the noise or vibrations ever bother the snakes?

03/12/11  09:20am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2209221

Cage suggestions

I’m not sure they don’t talk to me too much..;)....

j/k.... Those speakers are there pretty much just for somewhere to be.... I dont ever play music in that room anymore.... hardly even watch tv.... I’f im in there its just for the xbox playing;).... and thaat doesnt seem to bother them.....

I did used to have a corn snake that once i turned on music he would come out of his hide...everytime without fail.... he’d poke his head out and i’d put my hand in and he would climb up.... dont know if that was cause he was annoyed or happy....

03/15/11  07:22pm

Boomalang
View Profile

Message To: Pyboathon   In reference to Message Id: 2190176

Cage suggestions

It’s a lot more affordable and actually kinda fun to build your own, if at all possible I’d recommend it. I made 48"x42"8" cages for my burms, but as a couple of them are in the 12-13 ft. range now, I’ll have to build some slightly bigger cages. I ran 2x4’s around the base and the top of the cages so that it would allow me to recess the lighting and the water tubs, and make it easier and safer to stack the cages. My snakes cannot and will not escape from these cages. Here’s a few pics.

03/19/11  07:51am

Boomalang
View Profile

Message To: Boomalang   In reference to Message Id: 2210378

Cage suggestions

Ugh...I’m dumb...I just saw how old the original post is.

03/19/11  08:25am

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: Boomalang   In reference to Message Id: 2210380

Cage suggestions

Nice.... I like how the watter dishes are in the floor.... 1 question tho.... the lights... looks like they dont have covers..... dont the snakes get curious and put their nose up there.... as in burn themselves???.... mine are always exploring and pushing on my light cages

03/19/11  01:06pm

Boomalang
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2210422

Cage suggestions

Out of the 6 snakes that are housed in those two sets of stackables I’ve got 1 purple phase albino retic, she’s a 10 ft. skinny little thing, that messes with them at night and always broke one of the bulbs. After I replace 5 or 6 of them I started using ceramic heaters and just use a normal 150w bulb for viewing light. I noticed right away after doing that that the albinos stopped hiding their faces as much as they used to, and my retic doesn’t mess with the lights anymore. I also kinda figured out on accident that it’s easier to keep the cages humid now that I’m using ceramic heaters as well. I haven’t had to replace any of the ceramic bulbs either since I bought them 9 months ago, so I’ve saved a ton of money on bulbs. If you haven’t tried them before you should give em a shot. I used to have to replace sooooo many bulbs from bumping them or snakes bumping them or moving lids, etc. I always keep my eye open though at stores like home depot for some kind of cheap crowns or something I could use to cover them and hold them up better and make it so the snakes can’t mess with them even if they got a bug up there some day, but I haven’t found anything that would work yet.

03/20/11  07:19pm

Egreen2010
View Profile

Message To: Boomalang   In reference to Message Id: 2210669

Cage suggestions

Boamaster.com they have tanks up to 10ft long 4ft wide 3 ft tall so just oder or call them I live near them an they do a really good job

01/23/12  04:26am

Mhd730399
View Profile

Message To: Egreen2010   In reference to Message Id: 2252358

Cage suggestions

where are you located egreen? i am in VA. he lives in bed ford i believe witch is a little past Richmond, about 2 hours away from me.

01/31/12  06:25pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area