Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Burmese Forum

Cody mulanax   Boomalang   Cody mulanax   Boomalang  
 Member  Message

Cody mulanax
View Profile

Looking To get a burm

I currently have a green anaconda and a ball python and a red tail boa. I’m looking to get a Burmese to my pets and possibly getting rid of my ball and redtail. Just wondering what your thoughts on Burms compared to my green anaconda. Oh and know of any good reasonable prices on them or any trades for one. Pleaseet me know thanks

10/30/10  05:05pm

Boomalang
View Profile

Message To: Cody mulanax   In reference to Message Id: 2184759

Looking To get a burm

Burms are awesome pets, but I hope you’re not "getting rid" of your ball python and boa just because you’re bored with them or to make room for the Burm. I have a total of 6 Burms, 4 boas, and 1 reticulated python..most of which I’ve found (rescued for money) on craigslist because people buy them because people buy them because they think they are cool, or "they get so huge", and they don’t want them anymore. I’ve rehomed a few snakes in my time, but only to responsible owners, not just to the first person that came along with money, so I hope you’ll do the same.

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything, but we snakelovers get a little concerned when we see words like "getting rid of" on here. I’m not sure why you don’t want your ball or your boa anymore, but the advice I’d give you is to wait a few months at least and make sure you REALLY want one. A LOT of money goes into taking care of these creatures. I had to build custom cages for all the burms which was a lot of work, plus they were about $200 a piece in materials...They also are very expensive to feed when they are older. If you’re Anaconda is of size then you already know what I’m talking about. My biggest is 11ft 60lbs right now and she is eating 6-8 lb rabbits every two weeks. I buy mine wholesale locally and pay $2 a lb which comes out to about $30 a month just for her. And if you have them shipped it costs almost twice as much.

Also, make sure you get the Burm that you want if you get one. You wouldn’t want to get a normal and then find out a year later that you wanted a patternless albino and want to get rid of it.

11/04/10  03:53pm

Cody mulanax
View Profile

Message To: Boomalang   In reference to Message Id: 2185670

Looking To get a burm

nope not actually "getting rid of" my ball python. my mom is gonna buy him from me for my littlest brother who is 6 years old and the red tail is being done as a partial trade to the guy with the albino burmese python in my hometown so yea haha but it will be taken good care of and all.

11/05/10  07:05pm

Boomalang
View Profile

Message To: Cody mulanax   In reference to Message Id: 2185923

Looking To get a burm

Awesome. Well, you’ll love it man. I just spent thousands redoing my basement so that I can safely keep all my snakes down there in custom cages so I don’t have to find new homes for them since we have a baby now, and it’s worth it. They are awesome pets. Just start hook training right away. And start looking around for a local farm or something where you can get rabbits cheap!

11/08/10  11:25am

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area