Pythons-Burmese Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GODisgood   Phoenix23   BMC   Phoenix23   Boomalang   Canipe  

Member  Message

GODisgood
View Profile

New Burmese

Hi all! First of all, it is nice to meet you all! I’m glad to be here.

I just bought a 7’ female burmese python a week ago. Very healthy,strong and beautiful. The problem is that every time i open her enclosure she start hissing. I put my hand very slowly and touch her softly and she start hissing very hard in strike position (she’s had strike two times). After some minutes i took her out and she stay calm. Always looking to roam but calm. I’ve been doing this everyday since i bought her for about 1 hour.
I’ve been keeping Red Tails, Balls and Cornsnakes. I always bought them babies and never had problems with this kind of behavior. I know she’s not that bad and aggressive but i really don’t want a 15’ python with that attitude. Yesterday i putted a used tshirt in her enclosure.

Are there possibilities that she will stop doing this? Can you guys with experience in burmese recommend me something, anything else to try besides what am doing? maybe more time each session? I know theres not a lot to do but anything you can tell me i will appreciate.

Sorry about my english, it not that good.
Thanks a lot in advance.
God bless.

08/24/10  05:36pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: GODisgood   In reference to Message Id: 2171431

New Burmese

I’m not one of the most experianced burms owners here but I do have 3 now. I got my first 1 about a year and a half ago and I asked the same question you did.
What i found and heard was that burms have the tendancy to be noisy snakes. I got all 3 burms when they were only months old and 2 of them still to this day hiss when i go to take them out... They never strike just hiss. But I would suggest to always make sure you touch them on the head or body before reaching in to grab them.... this just lets them know your not food.... Most of the time burms are really easy to read when it comes to striking. So when they pull back in the strike position just gently nudge their face away and they should calm down... Thats what i did anyway.....

Your doing good with the handling but if anything probably a little less time handling....1 hour each time is a bit too long... In my personal opinion...

POST SOME PICS!!!
First Few Are Melman...Normal Het Albino Male and the Others are my Normal Female

The Albino Is Summer....She is much bigger now..

08/26/10  10:29am

BMC
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2171706

New Burmese

pheonix, the pic with the white water jug [3rd pic], what size is that cage? very nice.

08/26/10  02:59pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: BMC   In reference to Message Id: 2171767

New Burmese

its 6x3x2... They both are... I built them both..... next ones are going to be 8x3x2

and thanks for the compliment....

08/26/10  03:36pm

Boomalang
View Profile

New Burmese

Have you looked into hook training? It is the best method of pulling large snakes out of the cage. You can buy a snake hook or you can make your own. I took a laundry hook and reshaped it with a blow torch. You hook the snake around it’s body and start to pull it towards the cage. The snake learns that when this hook is inside the cage it is not feeding time, and you can usually grab them out as soon as you’ve hooked and started pulling. I agree with Phoenix, a half hour is probably enough time for handling before she goes back in her cage, but try to take her out everyday until you’re more comfortable with her. But definitely look into a snake hook, almost everyone on this forum I’m sure uses them for Burms and Retics. Good luck.

09/17/10  02:44pm

Canipe
View Profile

New Burmese

Sounds like she was not handle that much and she thinks that when the door is opend food is comeing in so don’t put your hand in frist get a snake hook when you want to get her out rub her when you feed her don’t as far as her hissing she may always do that and is she get enouge food how often are you feeding her.

01/05/14  11:10pm

Back to Pythons-Burmese Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area