Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Breeding Forum

Devilish2   Edf  
 Member  Message

Devilish2
View Profile

Unfertilised eggs???

I have owned my Ball Python around 26 years, she was an adult when I got her. During the time I have owned hershe has not been with another snake, or laid eggs. She has been reclusive for the last month, and didn’t take her mice two weeks ago when I last tried to feed her. Today I was about to clean out her tank, and offer her mice again. I lifted up the log she has been hiding under and went to pick her up, only to discover she was brooding a clutch of eggs! Obviously these can’t be fertile.....can they? I have been told that they could be,and that I should "candle" them to check.....any wisdom and advice would be apreciated! ( the eggs all look big/white/healthy!)

05/16/09  06:50pm

Edf
View Profile

Message To: Devilish2   In reference to Message Id: 2005883

Unfertilised eggs???

well, I would check into either building an incubaotr, or let the mom sit on them.

First, candle them to make sure they are fertle. Just get a strong flashlight, turn the lights out, and put the flashlight up to the egg. If they are fertile, you will see veins. If not, you shouldn’t... ( i only had one slug, and it was yellow and very small to begin with, and I forget what it looked like candled) If you have any doubts, I would incubate or let th emom incubate anyways. You will know if they are not fertle in a bit- i believe they will rot if not ( once again, I am not sure!)

You can buy an incubator or make your own:

Link

Link

If you let the mom maternally incubate, you just got to remember, the eggs need high humidity, but cant get wat. You can keep dishes of moss near the mom, but you have to make sure she doesnt knock the dish over on them or pee on them. I never maternally incubated, but I have let mom sit on the eggs fo r alittle to get incubator ready...

here is a link
Link

this webpage has info on breeding- scroll down and you see a candled egg and slugs. I would compare your eggs to theirs, and just read the info to determine if they are fertile or not
Link

I am betting they are slugs since she wasnt with another snake, but I tell you what- if a snake of mine laid eggs, and I knew it was never paired or anything, and i saw eggs, I wouldnt throw them away unless I knew for sure they were infertle...

good luck! hope that helped

06/01/09  09:00pm

Back to Pythons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area