Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Breeding Forum

Jyson   Tommy Layton   SHOTAK   BAMF3321   Wild "J"   Snowrider   Like my balls   ScyllaCharybdis   BooByVu   Snowrider   Slos40  
 Member  Message

Jyson
View Profile

Ball Python breeding questions

I am going to be breeding all sorts of ball python morphs hopely soon and I need to know some things like incubation- Should I let the mom incubate them or should I get an incubator? When does breeding season start? What temp and humidity would the eggs need? etc.
Thankyou
-Jason

06/07/07  12:46pm

Tommy Layton
View Profile

Message To: Jyson   In reference to Message Id: 1309466

iím not so sure when breeding season starts but you should definitly get an incubator to be on the safe side and keep the temp at 87 to 90 farenheit. donít change the temp, keep it the same at all times.

09/12/07  10:00pm

SHOTAK
View Profile

Message To: Tommy Layton   In reference to Message Id: 1441650

u guys sound young, which isnt any problem....

anyways, the season starts usually from mid nov. to march. the best way to get the best hatch rate is to incubate the eggs. use the havobator, which is the best smallest incubator on the market. it should be set at 88-90 for best results.

it is tough to type out all that is necessary to breed bpís, that is y u should do research on your own.

shotta k.

09/14/07  01:11am

BAMF3321
View Profile

Message To: SHOTAK   In reference to Message Id: 1443040

Link
This pretty much sums up the process.

09/14/07  09:10am

Wild "J"
View Profile

Message To: BAMF3321   In reference to Message Id: 1443230

how much do the havbators coast?

09/18/07  10:45am

Snowrider
View Profile

Message To: Wild   In reference to Message Id: 1447915

There about $40 but dont rely on the wafer thermostat. Be prepared to spend extra on a good thermostat.

09/22/07  12:14pm

Like my balls
View Profile

Message To: Jyson   In reference to Message Id: 1309466

I found this to be helpful
I would say get a incubator but Iím not going to.
my female is not even close to breeding age she is only a year old.
but when she does lay eggs Iíll let her do her thing.
(all though I will be watching her close and the eggs)

HERE IS THE LINK

Travis

Click Here

09/29/07  12:22pm

ScyllaCharybdis
View Profile

Message To: Like my balls   In reference to Message Id: 1461713

Sorry guys but I have to disagree with a few things said...

If the "Hova-Bator" was the best incubator on the market for only a mere $40...then why are there models for $300, $600, $1,800 and so on?

Your statement doesnít make any sense.

The $40 model is not really that good. If you insist on getting a Hova-bator...At least get the Turbofan model ($80 - $100). And again...thatís just an Ok model. Too many things can (and have with other people I know) go wrong with those units.

And to just let you BP "do her thing" is practically guaranteeing you wonít hatch a single egg. I would highly recommend getting a quality unit or at least building something suitable.

Just my 2 cents!

10/05/07  03:01am

BooByVu
View Profile

Message To: ScyllaCharybdis   In reference to Message Id: 1468006

I think they meant the $40 incubator is good for that price plus it only hold a few eggs unlike the 400$ fancy big incubators. the Hovabator is good for 40$ but you gotta add a good therostat anyways so its like 75$ but i still think its a good price for a hobby breeder. But for the bigshot commercial breeders, then ofcourse they would go for the bigger more expensive incubators because they are making a profit from this.

Also, its proven that in captivity a female can incubate her own eggs and hatch them successfully. They can regulate their body temp and can hold humidity. Its just the hatching rates arent as high. So if you want to let her do her thing i think its fine and goodluck.

10/09/07  07:24pm

Snowrider
View Profile

Message To: BooByVu   In reference to Message Id: 1473053

Also keep in mind that Hovabators are designed for fowl (chicken,bird,etc.) eggs so the turbofan is not the best for python eggs. Too much air flow will not let it hold the 95 to 100% humidity that is needed.

Also if 50 to 100 bucks gets the job done why spend more? All problems related to Hovabators is due to the wafer style thermostat. They are prehistoric and are not reliable. This is why a better thermostat is needed.

Though I have a homemade incubator I do use hovabators as back up for when it is full. I have never lost a clutch or an egg for that matter in a hovabator.

If the 3 main needs of the eggs are met there are no problems.

1. Temp
2. Humidity
3. Oxygen

And Ta Da:

10/10/07  01:37am

Slos40
View Profile

Message To: Snowrider   In reference to Message Id: 1473570

Not wanting to teach my granny to suck eggs by pointing out the obvious but as previously said the incubators on the market are primerely for fowl with the more expensive incubators being auto turn a feature not required for reptiles. Love the pics of the babies.

10/10/07  08:20am

Back to Pythons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area