Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

KriSnake   Chris78   KriSnake   How_goes_it   Chris78   Snakey68   Tbowman   KittyJ  
 Member  Message

KriSnake
View Profile

Mostly dead

So I fed my Borneo blood the other day. The mouse that i gave him was live, but i injured it so that he wouldnít put up much of a fight. So i held the mouse by the tail and let the snake take it from my hand. The snake grabbed it and then started its constricting. I figured all was well so changed my focus back to an online game I was playing.
A few minutes later I checked on the snake to see how he was doing when i noticed that the mouse wasnít dead by the time the snake was already halfway done with swallowing him down, only the legs were visible but still kicking a little bit. I was worried that the mouse could be biting the snake from the inside so i began bothering the snake a bit hoping he would regurgitate the mouse. It was too late though, he swallowed it down completely and he didnít want to throw up his food, so I moved him back to his cage. Today the snake seems fine with no sign of injury/bruise or blood.

Does this ever happen to you guys? Should i just make sure the food is always pre-killed or bought frozen? (I prefer this method anyways, but the store was out of frozen)

08/25/06  06:55pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: KriSnake   In reference to Message Id: 956831

Mostly dead

Why didnít you just kill the mouse? And never ever feed prey from your hand. Ever.

08/25/06  10:58pm

KriSnake
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 957202

Mostly dead

thanks for your feedback. I will stop feeding by hand, i can understand the reasons against doing it that method. As for not killing the mouse i figured the snake would finish it off, i would feel alot less guilty. The store was out of Frozen mice so i went and bought a live thinking i would kill it myself, but when that time came it wasnít as easy as i had hoped. It was so Cute! Im an animal lover.

08/26/06  01:15am

How_goes_it
View Profile

Message To: KriSnake   In reference to Message Id: 957354

Mostly dead

All of my snakes eat frozen and i recommend a good pair of hemostats they are awesome help and not to expensive.

08/26/06  04:21am

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: KriSnake   In reference to Message Id: 957354

Mostly dead

Sorry for the harshness about feeding from hand, but when he gets big, you really canít afford to do that. Sometimes when a prey item is to small they donít even bother killing it. Or it might have been a fluke, who knows. With the live prey, A. I have success with just putting it in a bag and smacking it on something, just donít think about it. or B. Make a C02 chamber, they just go in there sleep peacefully

08/26/06  01:52pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 957900

Mostly dead

yeah Bloods are not the type of snake to be feeding by hand so its wise to stop that , they are extremely aggressive feeders and you dont want one honing in on your hand by mistake and wrapping your arm, they are very powerful snakes , stronger than probably most if not all snakes of similar length.

get yourself a good pair of tongs and feed F/T if you can as you should have no trouble getting them to eat that and you wont have to worry about killing the prey animal.

Or as Chris stated get a CO2 chamber made if you have to purchase live as I dont think your comfortable with killing them yourself are you ?

snakey

08/26/06  04:44pm

Tbowman
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 958102

Mostly dead

yes my ball tryed eating a rat without even constricting..(it was his first rat though i dont think he knew what he was doing lol)

09/07/06  11:18pm

KittyJ
View Profile

Message To: Tbowman   In reference to Message Id: 975268

Mostly dead

Same with my Bp!!! (Fed her a small rat) My snake just constricted the head!!! With only one coil!! Luckily I feed f/t and if it was alive my snake would be scratch up and all!!! So I helped rap a coil or two around the rat which she soon go the idea.. but then she was done in 3 minutes, started to eat it.. lets just say my snake is weird, lol

09/09/06  12:23am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area