Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

CentralMayhem   CentralMayhem   Chris78   CentralMayhem   CentralMayhem   Snakey68   CentralMayhem  
 Member  Message

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Bark in mouth

hey there. in a previous post i had mentioned my snakes mouth open. well i took her out today to change substrates back to paper towels instead of the cypress mulch i was using. when i took her out i noticed one side of her mouth open so i took her by the head and found quite a bit of the mulch wedged inside her lips. i figure this is from her burrowing through the mulch. i removed it with tweezers and her mouth seemed to close up. i changed back to paper towels. do i have to worry about her getting mouth rot due to this situation? any info would be great. thanks in advance.

DJ

08/15/06  02:16pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 940897

Bark in mouth

one more thing, she refused her meal last night. this isnt the first time she has not eaten so i am not too worried but i still would like others opinions on the matter.

08/15/06  02:17pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 940900

Bark in mouth

Does her mouth look OK now? Some snakes just do that with their substrate and they probably wont stop. Id switch to newspaper permanently if I were in your shoes. They can still burrow in newspaper believe it or not. If you see any leakage or inflammation from the mouth take her to a vet. For right now Id just wait and see.

08/15/06  04:21pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 941082

Bark in mouth

awesome. yeah i have her back in the paper towels. i wont use the mulch in her cage anymore. her mouth looks fine to me but time will tell. ill keep ya posted.

08/15/06  04:27pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 941092

Bark in mouth

well she ate again tonight. thank goodness. hahahha. i guess its all just me worrying. anyways thanks to those who responded and put up with my newbie questions. its appreciated.

08/17/06  12:25am

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 943348

Bark in mouth

sorry mate been on holiday ...haha.................anyway good to see she is eating ok again and has already been advised change to newspaper that should ease your worries a bit as well.

08/18/06  10:55am

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 945521

Bark in mouth

yeah for sure. it has definitely eased my mind since switching back. no more open mouth and no more problems in general. she seems to be just fine and dandy

08/18/06  01:09pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area