Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

KriSnake   Petboy15   Herpteen15   Junior12084   KriSnake   Snakey68   C-Dog   Chris78   Snakey68   Chris78   Snakey68   Chris78   Marz   KriSnake  
 Member  Message

KriSnake
View Profile

Sharing the Cage

At a local reptile store they have a baby Blood Python for sale and I am very interested in buying her. At the moment I own a Ball Python and have had him for 7 years now. I am pretty sure I did enough research and have enough experience to feel comfortable raising a Blood Python. However amongst the research I did, I never found a definate answer to one of the questions that im sure you guys can answer for me.
- I dont have much space in my house for another cage at the moment, but i have a 40gallon breeding tank for my lonely Ball Python. Would it be safe to house both snakes together in the same tank for atleast a year or two? Feeding them seperately is no problem at all, but im more concerned if there would be any aggression between two different types of snakes sharing the same space.

-Thanks for your help in advance
-Kris

08/02/06  04:26am

Petboy15
View Profile

Message To: KriSnake   In reference to Message Id: 918455

Sharing the Cage

No! NO!Thre are lots of reasons that people will give you later but I have to go so I cant do it.

08/02/06  10:31am

Herpteen15
View Profile

Message To: Petboy15   In reference to Message Id: 918675

Sharing the Cage

dont listen to him, u CAN put them together cause they are similar pythons and i just saw a hybrid on kingsnake.com where someone bred a blood python with a ball python so it is ok to keep them together and ive kept a red tail with a ball before and never had problems!!!

08/02/06  02:00pm

Junior12084
View Profile

Message To: Herpteen15   In reference to Message Id: 918970

Sharing the Cage

You really donít want to keep them both together.
1. If one gets sick they both will.
2. They need entirely different temps and humidity levels.
3. You canít tell but one will always stress the other out.
4. Bloods are also much more aggressive than balls.
They only time you would want to keep these guys together would be to breed.

08/02/06  03:58pm

KriSnake
View Profile

Message To: Junior12084   In reference to Message Id: 919231

Sharing the Cage

Doh, Okay. Sounds like i will keep them seperate just to be safe. Personally i dont want my $50 adult ball python to kill or injure my $200 baby blood python, although in the snake world im sure they are all created equal. I will keep my ball python in the 40gallon tank then and have the blood python in a smaller tank.

Now with the blood pythons I understand they are more aggressive then Ball Pythons, and im sure picking them up from behind them is the best way (just like probably all snakes), but once you have the snake in your hands and under control they do mellow down a bit right? I have noticed this with my BP when he has been difficult to pick up and once he was in my hands he become much more loveable.

-Kris

08/02/06  06:06pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: KriSnake   In reference to Message Id: 919518

Sharing the Cage

Yeah Kris they will calm down alot as they grow and get more confident but even then they can be a bit hissy when you getting them out.

Personally I think thier aggressive streak is over exagerated in most cases and Wild caught Bloods were probably the main culprit to their reputation.

It wont be too long before you blood outgrows his enclosure and dwarfs the BP but I find them excellent challenging snakes and when adult are much more docile and easier to handle apart from the obvious bulk and weight that is ...lol

08/03/06  07:14am

C-Dog
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 920401

Sharing the Cage

bloods do have a bad reputation for being mean i was talking to a guy from reptile haven they have a 5-6 foot blood here is the message

Cody-hi chris i live in temecula ca not to far from you and am interested in bloods is this huge blood tame? you sound afraid of it but also said its tame???

Chris reptile Haven & Exotic birds-It is tame but its still a blood

ok save me the lecture i know reptile haven has crapy stuff but had to check it out i later called the store they said a customer brought it in and hes sure its cb and tame but he wont touch it because its a blood

08/03/06  04:44pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: C-Dog   In reference to Message Id: 921137

Sharing the Cage

My blood is as tamer than my king snake. Bloods have a strong feeding response but as far as aggression with mine itís pretty non-existent. All depends on the snake.

08/03/06  04:59pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 921164

Sharing the Cage

also depends on the owner I might add.

08/04/06  06:31pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 923373

Sharing the Cage

Haha, aswell as cbb/ch/wc.

08/04/06  07:03pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 923422

Sharing the Cage

yeah they do have consideration your quite correct, these days there should be little reason to get WC due the extent of breeders available.

more often than not the owner dictates the snakes behaviour by their husbandry and committment to the snakes well being and care IMO anyway which is true for many species.

08/04/06  07:28pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 923469

Sharing the Cage

Yeah, Iím considering whether or not to breed right now. Itís a huge investment. I donít suppose you have some kind of instant messenger system? Itís sort of a pain in the to talk on here all the time.

08/04/06  10:30pm

Marz
View Profile

Message To: KriSnake   In reference to Message Id: 918455

Sharing the Cage

kris...the ONLY time you should keep two snakes together is for breeding. if you can only afford one cage or have room for only one cage then wait until things change. donít take offence to this iím not jumpin on you ,iím trying to help you avoid a disaster that can happen...good luck with them...

08/06/06  11:25am

KriSnake
View Profile

Message To: Marz   In reference to Message Id: 925879

Sharing the Cage

I improved the layout of my room so now the two cages fit nice and snug in their places.

08/06/06  03:13pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area