Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

CentralMayhem   Snakey68   CentralMayhem   Snakey68   CentralMayhem   Snakey68   CentralMayhem   Snakey68   CentralMayhem   Snakey68   CentralMayhem   Snakey68   Snakeman64  
 Member  Message

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Feeding live pups?

well imma feed my girl tonight. shes been undisturbed and in a nice comfy environment for about 10 days? i still dont notice her out about the tank but i think thats only cause they are lazy and she likes the spot shes at. anyways, i have bought a rat pup and want to know if i should feed it live or kill it first. id hate to have to kill a baby rat but i mean its going to its death anyways. any thoughts or suggestions? also im waiting till about midnight when all the lights are off and have been off for some time, is that a smart way to do it? thanks in advance.

DJ

07/26/06  04:46pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 906948

Feeding live pups?

what was it feeding before you got it mate?

I feed mine F/T mate and am a big supporter of prekilled or frozen thawed becasue I think its safer and I wont go into all the details right now but thats just my own opionion.

If you can feed frozen thawed or pre killed but thats my opinion.

07/26/06  05:18pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 907031

Feeding live pups?

so does that mean that i should kill the pup before i feed it. i dont mind doing it if i have to. as long as thats what needs to be done ill do it.

07/26/06  08:10pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 907379

Feeding live pups?

listen mate I dont want to force my opinion on you i am just telling you what I do and do with success , IMO where possible you should feed pre killed or feed frozen thawed as there is less risk involved and its safer all round .....IMO

Blooods are great feeders in my experience so it is easy to get them on a particular feeding regime but its ultimately your call.

I dont support feeding live where an alternative is possible and thats how I see it. What you choose to do is the method that suits you and your snake I hope you do well in whatever method you choose.

07/26/06  08:44pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 907430

Feeding live pups?

gotcha. ill make it pre-killed then. cant go wrong with that i assume. thanks. just needed someone else to help me along through the decision. you are very careful with your words. i tend to blurt stuff out and deal with it later. hahahah. i think i have offended people before by just being so blunt. but hey, i like your style. and thanks again

07/26/06  09:49pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 907578

Feeding live pups?

yeah there are various debates regarding "live" feeding and IMO in all cases you should avoid if you can but alot of people like to feed live for various reasons of which none justify the end result in my opinion but its each to their own isnít it.

if things go wrong with a live animal in the enclosure with your snake you could be in trouble (its possible) and does happen, then you have pottential vet trips and bills or worrse a snake that dies. There are experienced owners however that feed "live" with no problems and do so as responsibly as one can.

I have debated this in depth on here on another forum.

Anyway glad your taking the safer option , I do have a habit of choosing my words carefully as I try not to come across as imposing my will rather than my opinion. lol

ahh well sometimes I blurt out trust me ...lol

07/27/06  06:33am

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 908129

Feeding live pups?

hey, you dont have to answer me if you dont want, you can pm me if needed but do you kill them yourself or buy them pre killed

07/27/06  05:47pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 909072

Feeding live pups?

I buy mine frozen mate.

07/27/06  07:37pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 909249

Feeding live pups?

well she ate like a pig. one second it was there the next second it was gone. put a smile on my face for the rest of the night though. made me quite happy. i had waited a little over a week to feed her just to let her settle in and was quite anxious to see if she would even eat. i guess my worrying was all for nothing. thanks for all your advice bud. not next time but a few times after ill try and get pics of her. i still dont wanna stress her yet.

07/29/06  12:21pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 911941

Feeding live pups?

excellent news glad to hear she wolfed that down...they are usually very good feeders providing everthing is set up right and they aint stressed.

seems like yours is doing fine and dandy.

yeah anytime you get pics fire them up glad some info was of use to you.

07/29/06  12:52pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 911974

Feeding live pups?

not some bud.....ALL info was of use to me. i think that i would have failed with this snake if it wasnt for your info. i would have been handling the snake everyday, she would have been in a big enclosure and the humidity and temp would have been wrong. hahahah. i wasnt anywhere near prepared when i bought this snake. i thought that i was but after coming on to this site i realized i was a long ways off. thanks to you i am now on my way to having a healthy and beautiful blood. thanks

DJ

07/29/06  12:55pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 911981

Feeding live pups?

well the main thing is your snake is doing well that in itself is great news for me , shows you do waht you say and take on board advice when it is well intentioned.

I just wish more owners were as responsible as you and took the time to find out what works and do what is best for their snake.

I was once in a position where I knew very little and in the early stages I made some silly mistakes , ever since I have went out my way to learn , mostly through experience but asked people that had valuable experience and if I can pass on something useful to someone who wants to provide a good environment for their snake then I am a happy man.

no need to thank me , you and your snake doing well is thanks enough.

keep in touch a pleasure communicating with you.

snakey

07/29/06  04:23pm

Snakeman64
View Profile

Message To: CentralMayhem   In reference to Message Id: 906948

Feeding live pups?

wouldnt reccomend it unless you can watch constantly rats are just plain mean rodents and id hate to see your snake get scarred up or worse yet fatally injured. if it hasnt ate for you yet go buy a large mouse and if it eats that thrn try the freshly killed rats. i havent had much lick converting mine to frozen or freshly killed so i watch mine eat. even when they are like my youngest female shes 14 inches long and just going from large hoppers to sm full gronw mice when i put hoppers in i watched but to be honest shes never been a finicky eater. when i first got her she ate 3 hoppers the first night and a hopper every three days like clock work since. at first she would only take food at night and now she dont care night or day. work with them alittle and they will take a live rat or mouse from hemostats
what kind of hide do you have and are you giving it a large bowl to soak?? if not try giving her one and laying sheet moss on top of the water. mine use the water as a hide and burst out from under the sheet moss and take live mice from me.

11/29/06  05:47am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area