Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

HerperWooten   HerperWooten   Junior12084   Snakey68   Snakey68   Melv   Snakey68   Snakey68   SnakeGuy89   Snakey68   Snakey68   Snakey68   Snakey68   SnakeGuy89   Snakey68   Lizard man 1   Donjuan   SnakeGuy89   Snakey68   SnakeGuy89   Snakey68   SnakeGuy89   Snakey68   Donjuan   Snakey68   Snakeman64  
 Member  Message

HerperWooten
View Profile

Growth rate?

Hi I’m new to this forum and to blood pythons. So I have done a little reaserch, but I still have a few questions. What was the growth rate of your bloods? Also can someone post pics of there Sumatran and Borneo cages and some pics of them being handled. thanx

this is me and a red blood

Andrew

06/11/06  05:51pm

HerperWooten
View Profile

Message To: HerperWooten   In reference to Message Id: 829060

Growth rate?

anyone???

06/14/06  07:04pm

Junior12084
View Profile

Message To: HerperWooten   In reference to Message Id: 833613

Growth rate?

6-10inchs a year. Maybe a foot. On the enclosure, use an aquarium that isn’t very big at first. They will become aggressive and won’t eat well if they are in to big of an enclosure.
But Good Luck with him.

06/17/06  10:49pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Junior12084   In reference to Message Id: 837731

Growth rate?

certainly 10 inches to a foot a year and twice the thickness in the early couple of years. On the enclosure I agree with the train of thought about not making it too big but also I dont think its quite such an issue as some would believe as long as there are hides for the snake and it is not left with just a big open space it should be ok. It certainly should be a consideration if the snake doesn’t eat or shows signs of unusual aggression this is why IMO this snake is not a beginners snake and you shuold have some experience with snakes prior , particularly Pythons.

Mine have done well in large tanks even as yearlings , the one thing though, the larger the tank the more difficult it becomes usually to maintain temp and humidity levels so be careful regardless. Smaller tanks are easier to manage especially for inexperienced keepers.

Be prepared to step up tank size as the animal grows they need room, width and length over height as they dont need to climb like Boa’s etc.

None of mine have been more agressive or stopped eating due to tank size but Royals I have dont like open spaces at all, I have found Bloods to be good natured if handled regularly at the appropriate times but like a lot of species they tend to be like a coiled spring as juveniles. The bigger they get the more confident and less worried they appear to be and so are less aggressive but they still hiss when moving them around at times.

They get heavy and are immensely strong and I dont think ( and its just my opinion ) under 16 years old should be keeping these snakes possibly even older. They are heavy for an adult to move about in and out of tanks and a young kid IMO should not be keeping these just yet. You can injure a snake of this weight by incorrect handling this should beconsidered before getting one , can you handle a full grown snake of its weight and size ?

Same thing happens with Burmese Pythons which grow extremely fast crap like a horse and eat like one to but they quickly get to an unmanagable size for many owners who cant deal with a snake that grows over 12 feet in just a few years. These snakes have killed their owners albeit I would say its more to do with stupidity of the owner or ignorance.

Better to start on Royal Pythons or Balls as they are named in the states if your just getting to grips with Pythons for the 1st time. While they are relatively easy to keep and are small and not prone to be aggressive they will still give the 1st time Python owner a good induction into Pythons and I would recommend them for anyone thinking of owning a python for the 1st time.

Most respected Pet Shops or herpers selling snakes will try their best to suggest the best species relative to the experience of the person that is buying ...........unfortunately alot dont either and just want cash.

06/18/06  05:54am

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 838011

Growth rate?

there is about 20 months or so seperating these two the larger one is the male 3 1/2 years old and over 5ft long he has a great temperment. The smaller Female was very bitey at 1st but calming down nicely as she gets bigger and more confident.

06/18/06  06:20am

Melv
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 838018

Growth rate?

A pic of my boy holding a pretty big Black short tail (Python curtus). The Bloods that I hatched out in July of 04 are 4’+ and 5 to 6 lbs.

06/18/06  03:09pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Melv   In reference to Message Id: 838417

Growth rate?

thats an impressiver black short tail Melv. And very nice colour on the blood below it, beautiful snake.

When I get a time later I have a few pics of my boy holding a blood as well, I will post one up.

06/19/06  05:27am

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 839281

Growth rate?

my boy holding one of my Bloods

07/01/06  10:49am

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 861432

Growth rate?

Wow! The snake looks almost heavier than him. I’d say we have a young Hercules on our hands.

07/01/06  12:28pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 861560

Growth rate?

lol thats actually what the snake is named ...Hercules.

07/01/06  02:07pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 861684

Growth rate?

lol snakeguy this is an older pic about a year before the one with my boy in the pic ...as I said he was named Hercules ......which weas funny when you mentioned the name

and another

hanging put with some Royals ( Balls) during a tank cleanup.

young female enjoying her dinner in a feeding tank....

and last but not least a male blood chillin out ...

I have a lot of pics but need to resize them , hope people like these in the meantime

snakey

07/01/06  06:56pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 861684

Growth rate?

lol snakeguy this is an older pic about a year before the one with my boy in the pic ...as I said he was named Hercules ......which weas funny when you mentioned the name

and another

hanging put with some Royals ( Balls) during a tank cleanup.

young female enjoying her dinner in a feeding tank....

and last but not least a male blood chillin out ...

I have a lot of pics but need to resize them , hope people like these in the meantime

snakey

07/01/06  06:56pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 862044

Growth rate?

apologies to the admin for the double post , I have no idea what happened there please edit delete one of them please.

snakey

07/01/06  07:04pm

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 862049

Growth rate?

Fantastic coloring. I especially like the last two pictures, my blood won’t let me get any pictures of it eating. Would you mind if I use the picture of him with his head resting on the rock as my backround picture for my desktop?

07/03/06  07:43pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 865225

Growth rate?

snakeguy89 your welcome to use any pics mate absoloutely no problem , when I have time I will post some more up.

07/08/06  11:43am

Lizard man 1
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 872890

Growth rate?

Awsome pics I love the one basking in the sun.
Keep them comming.

07/20/06  11:00pm

Donjuan
View Profile

Message To: Lizard man 1   In reference to Message Id: 896138

Growth rate?

how big do they get overall? and how big an enclosure would an adult need. also, the pet shop by me keeps their bloods in very moist soil, in almost swampy conditions. is this what they need? b/c that seems very messy, and thats what has kept me from getting one. i think they’re beautiful, but i can’t deal w/ that kind of enclosure.

07/20/06  11:14pm

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Message To: Donjuan   In reference to Message Id: 896167

Growth rate?

No, Most people keep them on mulch or paper. 60-70% humidity(lower is better than higher) and a 88-90 degree basking spot. Too much water will give them blisters and skin problems. They are an advanced/intermediate species though.

07/20/06  11:41pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 896209

Growth rate?

yeah good points snakeguy I keep mine on newspaper and everyone else I know that keeps them does as well. there is no need to keep these in damp conditions and as said can be bad for the snakes.

get the Temp & humidity in the tank right before you get it and your good to go. Bare in mind unlike most pythons these as hatchlings will not shed for 2 or 3 months so can be fed before there shed unlike some other species who wont eat until their 1st shed.

As snakeguy says its not a beginners snake. They get big, at 5 ft they can weigh near or over 20Ibs and can grow upwards to 6 or 7ft for males and up to 8ft or so for females 10ft has been stated for females but I have personally never seen anything bigger than an 8ft specimen weighing close to 40Ibs.

Most that I have seen, reds get to between the 5ft or 6ft for Males, and females average around the 6 or 7ft mark but can get bigger and have done (I have seen some big bloods )

07/22/06  05:24am

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 898640

Growth rate?

I would love to see an 8-10 footer.

07/22/06  01:04pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 899069

Growth rate?

yeah the breeder who originally got mine for me from Bob Clark has a few that are around the 8ft mark and they are impressive looking animals indeed. All females mind and all Brongersmai.

I think my male will end up near 6ft or possibly bigger , I dont know about the female yet as she is a bit younger but she is growing fast.

07/22/06  02:08pm

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 899170

Growth rate?

If you ever get another blood from them try to get some pics of the big ones. I’ve only heard 4-6 feet.

07/22/06  02:58pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 899244

Growth rate?

yeah I will do mate. I thought mine was big but they dwarf mine.

07/22/06  04:08pm

Donjuan
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 899330

Growth rate?

so guys, the pet store by me is absolutely wrong about the cage setup, right? i just want to let them know if the swampy conditions are harmful, b/c they’ve been keeping bloods like this, and giving people the wrong advice for years.

07/25/06  01:08pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Donjuan   In reference to Message Id: 904479

Growth rate?

Quote:

so guys, the pet store by me is absolutely wrong about the cage setup, right? i just want to let them know if the swampy conditions are harmful, b/c they’ve been keeping bloods like this, and giving people the wrong advice for years.

well put it this way IMO if they are keeping their bloods in wet and swamp like conditions thats certainly not ideal. Another thing Pet Shops again IMO are not the best place in general to find ideal habitats for reptiles as often the enphasis is on space constraints and a money making scheme rather than an ideal set up for reptiles.

This is not true of all pet stores and I am talking from experience in the UK not USA so it could be different there I dont know maybe some of my american compatriates can help out there.

Damp soil is used sometimes in pet stores but I have never seen Marshy wet conditions being used .........too much wet is bad IMO for Bloods but I have only been keeping snakes for 20 odd years dont just take my word for it.

And I doubt they would welcome you criticising their methods either , if it looks bad report it to the local animal welfare with your concerns and they will check it out .........I believe animal welfare societies are working towards the same goal world wide so all will want the animals to be properly cared for.

07/25/06  02:15pm

Snakeman64
View Profile

Message To: HerperWooten   In reference to Message Id: 829060

Growth rate?

i agree with snakey68 opinion this is not a snake for teenagers my 17 yr old just stepped up to a redtail for a pet he was too inexperienced to have anything that took the care bloods take i also agree balls make a good first pet python.

11/29/06  06:22am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area