Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Scott14   SnakeGuy89   ES_Tropicals   Snakey68   Snakey68   Scott14   Melv   Snakey68   Snakeman64  
 Member  Message

Scott14
View Profile

Just a quick question for Blood owners

Hey everyone,

Id love to get a blood python sometime in the future but i have other projects in mind before i do get one..

I was just wondering what do you feed them throughout their lifetime? because they get pretty girthy!! Could you feed an adult of 5 foot a rabbit?

What would you usually feed them?? jumbo rats?

Just by looking at the size of some of them they look like a jumbo rat wouldnt even put a bump in their tummies lol

Thanks for any input!

Scott16,

06/03/06  07:05pm

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 817711

Couple Jumbo’s or one rabbit. I go with the Jumbo’s personally.

06/04/06  12:40am

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 818166

Yea..there isnt a real need to feed them rabbits and such, a few larger rats each feeding could work out nicely, they are girthy, but looking at their metabolisms as well, they don’t need to be fed a whole lot, plus they don’t need to be so round that they are obese, which you tend to see a bit in these animals with some keepers.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

06/04/06  11:40am

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: ES_Tropicals   In reference to Message Id: 818568

very true, I feed my bloods every 10 to 14 days on a couple of Jumbo Rats or appropriate sized food. Certainly when they are younger they need more frequent feeding but when they get to 5ft or so I slow it right down I dont want to end up with a big obese snake that is over its recommended girth , if I gave mine a rabbit I would not feed it again for a month.

While they are naturally a very girthy snake there should be rush to get these beautiful snakes to full size and over feeding is a common mistake made in my exerience.

06/04/06  02:52pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 818881

to follow on from my post there , here is a pic of two of my bloods together the smaller of the two is a younger female still a wee bit on the shy side but coming along nicely. This pic was taken today as the weather was very hot I got them outside which is a rareity in Scotland let me tell you.

06/07/06  02:19pm

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 823362

Nice pictures and bloods!!

Yeah i know what it can be like up in Scotland!

We’ve been on holiday in the outer hebrides twice now! first time we went we spent 1 week on the isle of Skye 2nd week we were there we spent it on Isle of Harris. Second time we went up there we spent both weeks on the isle of Harris! Was a good time soo far away from everything lol!!

Thanks for the info people!

Scott16,

06/07/06  07:04pm

Melv
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 823842

There is really no need to feed an adult Blood a rabbit, or a jumbo rat for that matter. I have 2 females that are 5’-6’,and weigh in the 20lbs. range, and they get a med/lg rat every 3 weeks/month, and that seems to be fine for them. Bloods are very efficient with their meals, and are often times overfed.

06/07/06  10:36pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Melv   In reference to Message Id: 824230

yeah sometimes I wont feed mine for a month but I like to vary it rather than have a set amount of weeks. In th ewild they may go for extremely long periods without food or they may feed often depends on the quantity of the food source and how often they encounter it.

I do however recommend giving them as an adult the occasional Jumbo and not to feed anything less than a Large rat , Medium just is not substantial enough in my opinion. There may not be a need to feed a jumbo or a rabbit for that matter but there is certainly no harm in it if not done to excess.

If your feeding an adult Blood a Med rat every 3 weeks it would need to be very efficient ...lol ....just kidding your correct as reptiles in general are far more efficient at processing food.

I have yet to see an overfed specimen but they are such good feeders I can see how it can happen through Ignorance.

06/11/06  06:00am

Snakeman64
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 818166

these snakes arent lethargic they are comatose over feeding can happen very easily. hold your i feed mine a combination of rats and gunea pigs once every ten to fourteen days unless its a youngster then ill feed more heavily to help with the growth of the young snake

11/29/06  05:33am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area