Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

SnakeGuy89   ES_Tropicals   Lizard man 1   Youngblood  
 Member  Message

SnakeGuy89
View Profile

Handling.

I have a few Bloods and theyíre fine with me handling them. Iíve heard alot of people say how their bloods hate being handled. What do you guys think?

03/15/06  03:31pm

ES_Tropicals
View Profile

Message To: SnakeGuy89   In reference to Message Id: 693563

Handling.

This can vary quite a bit for different reasons IMO..the ones that arenít quite liking it are probably ones unused to interaction and handling, then again they can plain just be angry snakes lol..I can reach in and grab most of the stuff here, like our female adult borneo will tolerate handling, way more than her partner will..I believe they were adult imports back years ago when they got here to us..so I think they never will be too keen on being handled really. Handling can be stressful on the animals either way though, so some may seem to really enjoy the time out for handling more so than others do..I think though it may be some work you have to put in in order to get certain animals to turn out somewhat decent.

-Amelia
ES Tropicals

03/15/06  08:57pm

Lizard man 1
View Profile

Handling.

well I have herd the same. Some people will tell you to change to feeding your snakes in a different container because most of my snakes are fine once you get them out, but I have most of my problem when I am reaching in to get them out. I think that they are looking for food.
Now most of the time I do feed mine in there enclosure, but what if have found to work for me is I will put a heavy welders glove on and I will touch the top of there heads. A little like you may rub a dog on the head but lightly. This seems to tell them that itís not feeding time (so I think).
I really only do this with my Borneoís. the others are small enough that I really donít worry about it.

04/05/06  01:34pm

Youngblood
View Profile

Handling.

My sumatran red was not to excited about being held at first, but I just handled her every day for about 10 to 20 minutes and she got use to me pretty quick. She no longer strikes at my hand, and she allows me to rub up under her head and on top of her head. She have grown to be a well tempered blood.

04/05/06  04:00pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area