Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Getscared   Ice696   Ice696   Getscared   Corny74   Getscared   Getscared   Corny74   Getscared   Ice696   Ice696   Corny74   Ice696   Corny74   Getscared   Corny74   Ice696   Getscared   Ice696  

Member  Message

Getscared
View Profile

Getting in to bloods!

So after meddling in the herp world for a little over a year trying different species and researching i think ive come to the conclusion that bloods are my thing. I like their size and reputation, I love the morphs and even the normals are gorgeous. They beat the hell of out ball pythons imho even when it comes to morphs and breeding. I like that they are less common that the other pythons out there too.

Needless to say im looking into getting one soon. Ive even gifted my ball python (first snake ever) to a friend of mine whos gecko died recently. I dont want just any blood though, I’d like something with higher genetic value in case i ever get into breeding in the future.

Problem is, i cant seem to find a good site to base prices on. I have a general knowledge of ball python prices but i dont know what bloods go for. Id like to have a general idea before i go to the next rep show in case i find some!

Maybe post some pics of your bloods and how much you bought them for? :)

11/28/11  06:42pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2245556

Getting in to bloods!

Check Kingsnake.com You will find that blacks, normals and albinos, along with some morphs will be more reseaonably priced than most places. There are high end breeders that are producing some amazing animals but if you go to them you can expect to pay thousands.

12/01/11  09:45pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Ice696   In reference to Message Id: 2245879

Getting in to bloods!

And sorry about my spelling.. These grave shifts are kickin my butt..

12/01/11  09:46pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Ice696   In reference to Message Id: 2245879

Getting in to bloods!

I’ve been keeping an eye out there. I wasnt sure if the prices they had there were standard or not. I’ve found some good looking deals there too. Yeah I wish I could afford those high end snakes, hopefully I can climb my way up to them though :)
Thanks for the advice! And I didn’t even notice the spelling errors haha

12/03/11  10:12pm

Corny74
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2246080

Getting in to bloods!

My bf wants a blood to. We are having trouble finding any. Our reptile show only has one vendor that just carries the normal ones and we are pretty sure they are wild.
I have started looking at LLLreptile. They have great prices and seem like a decent company. I have never ordered a pet online though I have no idea how that would even work!!

12/03/11  10:33pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Corny74   In reference to Message Id: 2246086

Getting in to bloods!

Ordering online can be great if money is not
Much if a problem. Shipping is 50+ Dollars for live animals and sometimes that is more than the animal you are buying! Since I want to get into breeding though, it may be the route I end up taking.

12/04/11  12:14pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Corny74   In reference to Message Id: 2246086

Getting in to bloods!

Ordering online can be great if money is not
Much if a problem. Shipping is 50+ Dollars for live animals and sometimes that is more than the animal you are buying! Since I want to get into breeding though, it may be the route I end up taking.

12/04/11  12:14pm

Corny74
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2246144

Getting in to bloods!

Money kind of is a problem which is another reason I have never ordered online. Not that we cannot afford the pet just hurts to spend $40 or more just on shipping.
Anyway I noticed reptile city has free shipping on orders over $100 and right now LLLreptile has buy one get one half off on all their reptiles!! I am kinda excited the $40 shipping fee would be worth it then.

12/06/11  11:42am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Corny74   In reference to Message Id: 2246367

Getting in to bloods!

Oh those are some exciting offers actually. I may have to check that out. Money is definatley am issue with me too lol. I just bought a new car and I’m broke in the first place

12/06/11  02:25pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2246373

Getting in to bloods!

Shipping can be expensive. I bought a couple of amazon tree boas off of there. If you are buying normals you may be better off buying at a local pet shop provided they have any in stock. When it comes to morphs though you will likely never find them cheaper, even with the shipping added. If you live in an area where they have regular reptile expos and are looking for normals or black bloods you cant go wrong. BUT, if you are looking for blood morphs, forget it. The last expo I attended they wanted $2,000 each for albinos, which is a rediculous price considering they show up regularly on Kingsnake.com in the $200-$500 range. Use your own judgement when it comes to purchasing your snakes. I haven’t had any problems with Kingsnake.com. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t people out there who will either rip you off or sell you a snake that isn’t in good physical condition.

12/08/11  10:39pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Ice696   In reference to Message Id: 2246565

Getting in to bloods!

Corny74.. Sadly there isn’t really a way to tell if they were caught wild. Often times a blood who hasn’t been handled alot will be snappy. If you are buying a young blood you can almost count on it being snappy. Also, some people simply don’t handle their pets and keep them as breeders only. I have had captive bred bloods that were every bit as mean as anything I caught in the wild and some just wont be tamed down. The main thing is, if you are buying at an expo ask the seller alot of questions. Watch the snake and make sure it’s alert and not lathargic. check the mouth for rot and look at it to insure it’s weight appears to be healthy.. Shriveled skin can not only mean it is under fed but may have been kept in a cage with the humidity too high which can also contribute to mouth rot. Study this breed alot. They are a forgiving snake but NOT a beginners snake. If you are leary of snakes that may bite you then you may want to buy a ball (royal)..

12/08/11  10:50pm

Corny74
View Profile

Message To: Ice696   In reference to Message Id: 2246566

Getting in to bloods!

I don’t like snappy snakes unfortionatly its my bf that wants a blood. Actually he wants a breeding pair. I suggested we get one first see how that goes but he will not hear it. We have an adult amazon tree boa he rarely holds because after he got it he read they can be aggressive. It never has been but as any snake can bite and this thing has fangs he is afraid to get it out of its tank. He might do ok if he got a baby blood.
I do not think the expo peoples snakes were wild because of it being snappy though. They had other snakes in a tank and their jaws were kinda tore like they were hooked by something. There was 4 or 5 of them and all their jaws looked that way. They were on sale for like $10. Plus they were snakes you don’t usually see at expos. They looked like black water snakes or something. These people were just creepy. And lucky us those were only vendors selling bloods!!

12/09/11  09:30pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Corny74   In reference to Message Id: 2246652

Getting in to bloods!

Obviously I don’t know your boyfriend. But, I have had several Amazon tree boas and they can be a little tempermental. But if he is afraid of those a blood is probably not the snake for him. Have him look into a redtail. They are reasonably priced and the ones I have had are all very tame except just seconds before and right after feeding. Balls are also nice and come in an amazing veriety of morphs.

12/11/11  11:46am

Corny74
View Profile

Message To: Ice696   In reference to Message Id: 2246807

Getting in to bloods!

A redtail is too big . He wants a blood because they are thick but not super long. From what we have read they are about 6 ft. Some get alittle larger but thats the norm. Redtails can get over 10 ft. We have 3 ball pythons already . I wish he would go back to wanting a Dumerils boa. Not that we have been able to find those at reptile expo either.

12/11/11  05:34pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Corny74   In reference to Message Id: 2246853

Getting in to bloods!

I found one dumerils at my show today. I was so excited but I didn’t buy it cuz I’m broke atm and focusing on kingsnakes. No bloods at the show though

12/11/11  06:38pm

Corny74
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2246866

Getting in to bloods!

It depends on where you live I guess.

12/15/11  03:03pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Corny74   In reference to Message Id: 2247283

Getting in to bloods!

The expos seem to be saturated with balls. It’s understandable with their popularity. As for bloods, even given the cost of shipping you are better off keeping an eye on kingsnake.com. I have seen normals on there for under $50. Given that the price in pet stores seems to be between $100 and $120 for a normal you are not going to be paying much more than you would at an expo or a pet store, if any extra at all. You can also check craigslist. They rarely show up there but I have seen them there now and then and you can also place your own add.

12/16/11  01:53am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Ice696   In reference to Message Id: 2247345

Getting in to bloods!

Yeah I’ve started to realize that all that shipping is actually not so bad. I’ve also realized that kingsnakes are cheap and really really fun! I bought one at the last show and I’m totally sold on the species now haha. Bloods will come later when I have more money but I’ve found I can affor some meat kingsnake morphs. I’m pretty excited to get started with them

12/16/11  01:28pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2247387

Getting in to bloods!

Kingsnakes are a great snake. I’ve had many throughout the years and can honestly say the only ones I’ve ever been bit by were the wild ones we caught as a kid growing up in San Diego. I lived in the north part of San Diego county as a kid in a place called Poway and snakes were everywhere. And back then everything was plentuful. You could walk into the fields around where I lived and easily find kings, gophers, bull snakes, a variety of racers and even the occasional Rosy boa. Sadly it’s a rarity now. But it doesn’t stop me from looking. I no longer keep them as I did when I was young but even finding them is nice. I hope everyone finds the snakes they are looking for.

12/16/11  01:42pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area