Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

BigBoyzBoids   Buffaloriver   BigBoyzBoids   Buffaloriver   Xkingspade13   BigBoyzBoids   KimboSliceEatsCats   BigBoyzBoids   Tupi1   BigBoyzBoids   Tupi1   BigBoyzBoids   Ice696  

Member  Message

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Aggressive bloods

i just bought a pair of bloods off a breeder that are about 6 months old and the only time he interacted with them was cleaning the cage and feeding and he would just throw a mouse in when it was feeding time. my question is has anyone had experiences with bloods similar this age as soon as the female knows im aroud shes in full out kill mode the male is less ecentric he just lays there and waits until i try to pic him up to bite me but the female will strike and jump at me when i get within a foot of her if that. any information on taming is helpful. they are in 15 qt containors with ecoearth for there bedding cause i know they like to hide and humidity and it does great for humidity and they ate for me. just wondering if they will calm down

01/11/11  03:17pm

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2197626

Aggressive bloods

Good luck with them I have a pair the female is a yr and the male 2 they are both tame as a kitten but they came to me that way I had a pretty nasty anaconda once and got him to calm down but i just held him a lot weather he bit me or not the Bloods pack a mighty punch from what i understand so that may be easier said than done

01/11/11  08:16pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2197700

Aggressive bloods

lucky you. wish these 2 were tame the female struck at me through the tub last night when i was trying to put the tub back on the rack. thank god for the lid. the male hit me the first day when i was moving them from the containors i had them in to the bigger tubs and he hit me hard enough to puncture through the glove and hes just a baby. im hoping i can get them to calm down for the most part the male just sits and huffs and puffs until you touch him then he will strike. but her she is just wicked.

01/12/11  09:49am

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2197778

Aggressive bloods

they have a rep for being nasty I have a friend that runs a reptile and fish store that wouldnt even probe my male for me at first he has seen too many aggressive ones I hope they calm down for you the only way you gonna get them to calm down is to handle them a lot easier said than done I am sure

01/12/11  01:51pm

Xkingspade13
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2197808

Aggressive bloods

the best thing that has helped me deal with an aggressive snake is first off let the snake settle in, and get a few meals in her. i hate to say it but to tame an aggressive snake your most likely going to get bit, but you cant fear an animal that you intend to keep. another thing is some snakes just wont become tamed, its just the way they are. once you feel the time is right just reach in and pick it up if your afraid of getting bit wear gloves. then just hold it for like 5 min a day.after awhile hold it for 15min a day. good luck

01/17/11  09:19pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Xkingspade13   In reference to Message Id: 2199054

Aggressive bloods

belive me im not affraid to get bit been tagged by my fair share of snakes red tails, rainbow boas, retics, burms, lol bloods now. they are coming down female wont eat now though

01/18/11  12:12pm

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2199154

Aggressive bloods

How about trying to get her on feed and stop worrying about the snake being tame? Leave her alone, make sure temps are right, amke the cage more secure, blood pythons are not picky eaters for ridiculous reasons the same way other species can be.

And watch out, blood pythons can jump really far, like literally thrust their entire bodies off the ground a good distance towards you when they strike, get hooks and dont use gloves just rest them in your lap and let them relax.

01/20/11  05:46pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2199797

Aggressive bloods

im not worrying about anything but her eating right now and her and the male have there own seperat tubs that are top shelf away where noone can bother them and temps and everything is on the spot i even had to up it cause the breeder kept them a little higher then most people. and i only bother her now to change the paper and clean when she spills her water and stuff. i had her out to clean the tank the other day and she didnt strike just got hissed at and belive me i know they can jump. hopefully she will eat this weekend because it will be over amonth and she was on the skinny side when i got her and is getting a little skinnier.

01/20/11  07:14pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2199834

Aggressive bloods

I left my girl alone for a full two weeks.Then I fed her and left alone another week .She calmed way down.I used gloves and a hook at first because I was told she was crazy. I would hook under her head /neck and slide my gloved hand under her and pick her up real slow.Doing everything slow really helps.
Anyway she tamed right down.I still go slow and let her know Im coming by touching her with the hook first and then sliding my hand under her but I dont use gloves anymore.She is just as tame as any ball python now and eats like a champ.Im pretty impressed with her.Now if I can just get my jcp to be as tame.

01/25/11  08:06am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2200906

Aggressive bloods

my carpet pythons were calm the one i got as a hatchling the other was a little older they loved being held and stuff. well the female decided she wasnt going to eat so the breeder swapped her out for another one and now i got one tame female and one jerk of a male lol

01/25/11  08:26am

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2200909

Aggressive bloods

I dont think my jcp will ever tame down competely.I have no idea if its a male or female.Ive had it for 7 mnths now and it still wants to kill me.Strikes right throught the glass sometimes.I have it in a nice quiet room too.

02/26/11  07:04pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2207082

Aggressive bloods

all i can say is put on gloves if you dont want bit and work on handling a few minutes a day or a couple times a day until it learns that your not a threat to it and not going away

02/27/11  12:05pm

Ice696
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2207178

Aggressive bloods

I know this is an older post but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in anyway. I have a female that is just over two years older that is even more aggressive then my retic. She is captive bred and I have held her over and over again and she just won’t calm down. So although most snakes will eventually come around some just never get it.

11/21/11  05:09am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area