Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Getscared   KimboSliceEatsCats   Catfish_82   Catfish_82   Catfish_82   Getscared   Catfish_82   Getscared   Qqqqz   Getscared   Buffaloriver   Tupi1  
 Member  Message

Getscared
View Profile

I would like to have a Blood python someday

Any comments on the issue?
How fast do they grow? How long could a baby stay in a 20 gallon?
Can they be kept in a rack system? if so how large of a tub would be needed?
Are their temps higher than that of a ball python?

Also I have heard they can be pretty aggressive. What is your experience with the temperment?

Lots of questions! sorry haha (oh and yes i have read he care sheets)
Im thinking about getting one at the next reptile show depending on the answers to these questions.

10/13/10  09:03pm

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2180970

They grow fast. I do not have a blood but my friend does, and I do know about them, he bought his sumatran blood about 14 months ago, now its pushing over 3 feet and weighs 10 pounds or more. And that is the growth rate of a male.

A 20 gallon could last a couple months, but it is hard to keep humdity up in those. A large apporopiate sized sterlite container with a clamping lid would work great. They dont need a wet substrate, just air humidity, so you can keep them on paper towels or repticarpet fine as long as the humidity in the cage is high enough. Substrate is not a good way to keep humidity up anyways. I suggest you build a custom wooden selaed enclosure for it after it outgrows whatever you originally put it in.
They are harder to keep than a ball python.
They need higher humidity than a ball python, heating not much different. If you kept them in a rack system it would have to be a big one. Like at least a 150qt tub.

They are naturally aggressive, unlike your average ball python, because unlike ball pythons most bloods are not hundereds of generations old, ball pythons were kept as captives by cleopatra her self, so you can pretty much consider them domesticated.

By nature a blood is nasty, but you can just work with it through gentle handling, force handling by grabbing it will not be very effective. Mainly people consider them aggressive because of how strong their bite is, making them a little more intimidating, and because of their short muscular bodies hooks are not that effective. So starting out with a baby and handling it a couple days a week after you have it feeding for you will work great and it will become tamer, but I dont think you could ever entirely trust it like you can a ball python. Cause my friends still hisses when first touched in the cage, but in his hands its fine, but if your are not holding it he gets scared. He was on the floor and probably jumped at me and landed 2 feet closer to me than he was, then can jump pretty far when they strike, so watch for that.

10/15/10  01:55pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2181343

Ok....I’m going to throw the challenge flag. Kimbo...there are so many things wrong in your post that hell man I’ll just list ’em.

Quote:

They grow fast.

Quote:

now its pushing over 3 feet and weighs 10 pounds or more. And that is the growth rate of a male

The growth rate of a snake, any species has a myriad of factors...genetics, diet etc. Please establish what your friend is feeding and at what scheduling....bloods have a slower metabolism and tend to get girthy. not lengthy. A ten pound three foot snake is a little on the obese side.

Quote:

A 20 gallon could last a couple months, but it is hard to keep humidity up in those.

The OP didn’t specify whether he was going to keep the animal in a tank or a tub, but did ask about a rack system which tends to indicate he’s leaning towards tubs. In which case, it’s actually quite easy to keep up humidity in those. Furthermore, whether a 20 gallon tub/tank will work depends on the age of the snake the OP is planning on getting. I kept mine (when I got them as babies in 15-20 gallon tubs and they stayed in those for at least 6 to 8 months. Bloods as a species are reclusive and shy. They tend to like claustrophobic spaces. It helps them to feel more secure.

Quote:

A large appropriate sized sterlite container with a clamping lid would work great.

Absolutely correct here. Good job mate.

Quote:

you can keep them on paper towels

I am not sure I agree with this one, but since it’s basically the same as newspaper (which I use), maybe. I will only add that some paper towels can have scents so it would probably be a better idea to stay away.

Quote:

Substrate is not a good way to keep humidity up anyways

You’re partially correct here. Substrate can be used to assist in maintaining humidity levels. For bloods, who usually love a good soak every now and then, a water dish big enough for them to climb into is good.

Quote:

I suggest you build a custom wooden selaed enclosure for it

I disagree. Depending on what kind of ’wooden’ enclosure you might build (and Kimbo I may totally have you misunderstood here, if so please disregard). A plain wooden one won’t be very good at all. I have heard tell of people using paint and polycrylic to make a custom wooden enclosure. So that’s a maybe. I got a very good price on Marley’s adult cage.

Quote:

They are harder to keep than a ball python

Quote:

They need higher humidity than a ball python, heating not much different.

Eh, partially. Bloods are considered intermediate snakes because they are not as forgiving of husbandry mistakes as your ball pythons or corns.

Quote:

They are naturally aggressive, unlike your average ball python, because unlike ball pythons most bloods are not hundereds of generations old, ball pythons were kept as captives by cleopatra her self, so you can pretty much consider them domesticated.

I would be absolutely fascinated to hear your source for this. Cause if you don’t have one then congrats man, this is one of the greatest a s s pulls that I have ever read. Bloods range from psychotic to dog tame, just like any other snake species. There are so many factors that go into what determines a blood or any snakes temperament. Genetics, breeding, socialization etc. True story, one of mine, Gretta is a perfect example. I got her on Jan 19th 2009 from the Charlotte Repticon. The gentleman (who shall remain nameless (because I suspect he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing)) I bought her from said she was probably a wild caught specimen due to her temperament. Psychotic was an understatement when I first got her. In fact she spent her first month in my care striking at the wall of her cage whenever I entered the room. however, after a bit she calmed down. Now she is dog tame for me. I can handle her whenever I want with absolutely no issues.

Quote:

By nature a blood is nasty

Buzz...try again Jeopardy contestant. See above statement as to why.

Quote:

Mainly people consider them aggressive because of how strong their bite is

Source? To my knowledge there has never been a scientific study on the bite strength of the genus. Ah, but hell I have only kept them for a few years, not need to listen to me, you KNOW a guy who has one man.

OK, I should probably add as a footnote, Kimbo, I’m not attacking you personally bro.....I see a lot, and I mean a lot of BS when it comes to bloods. I love them and it really pisses me off when I see people do the whole stereotype "Oh they’re mean" "Aggressive" etc routine.

10/16/10  09:21am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Ok....I’m going to throw the challenge flag. Kimbo...there are so many things wrong in your post that hell man I’ll just list ’em.

Quote:

They grow fast.

Quote:

now its pushing over 3 feet and weighs 10 pounds or more. And that is the growth rate of a male

The growth rate of a snake, any species has a myriad of factors...genetics, diet etc. Please establish what your friend is feeding and at what scheduling....bloods have a slower metabolism and tend to get girthy. not lengthy. A ten pound three foot snake is a little on the obese side.

Quote:

A 20 gallon could last a couple months, but it is hard to keep humidity up in those.

The OP didn’t specify whether he was going to keep the animal in a tank or a tub, but did ask about a rack system which tends to indicate he’s leaning towards tubs. In which case, it’s actually quite easy to keep up humidity in those. Furthermore, whether a 20 gallon tub/tank will work depends on the age of the snake the OP is planning on getting. I kept mine (when I got them as babies in 15-20 gallon tubs and they stayed in those for at least 6 to 8 months. Bloods as a species are reclusive and shy. They tend to like claustrophobic spaces. It helps them to feel more secure.

Quote:

A large appropriate sized sterlite container with a clamping lid would work great.

Absolutely correct here. Good job mate.

Quote:

you can keep them on paper towels

I am not sure I agree with this one, but since it’s basically the same as newspaper (which I use), maybe. I will only add that some paper towels can have scents so it would probably be a better idea to stay away.

Quote:

Substrate is not a good way to keep humidity up anyways

You’re partially correct here. Substrate can be used to assist in maintaining humidity levels. For bloods, who usually love a good soak every now and then, a water dish big enough for them to climb into is good.

Quote:

I suggest you build a custom wooden selaed enclosure for it

I disagree. Depending on what kind of ’wooden’ enclosure you might build (and Kimbo I may totally have you misunderstood here, if so please disregard). A plain wooden one won’t be very good at all. I have heard tell of people using paint and polycrylic to make a custom wooden enclosure. So that’s a maybe. I got a very good price on Marley’s adult cage.

Quote:

They are harder to keep than a ball python

Quote:

They need higher humidity than a ball python, heating not much different.

Eh, partially. Bloods are considered intermediate snakes because they are not as forgiving of husbandry mistakes as your ball pythons or corns.

Quote:

I would be absolutely fascinated to hear your source for this. Cause if you don’t have one then congrats man, this is one of the greatest a s s pulls that I have ever read. Bloods range from psychotic to dog tame, just like any other snake species. There are so many factors that go into what determines a blood or any snakes temperament. Genetics, breeding, socialization etc. True story, one of mine, Gretta is a perfect example. I got her on Jan 19th 2009 from the Charlotte Repticon. The gentleman (who shall remain nameless (because I suspect he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing)) I bought her from said she was probably a wild caught specimen due to her temperament. Psychotic was an understatement when I first got her. In fact she spent her first month in my care striking at the wall of her cage whenever I entered the room. however, after a bit she calmed down. Now she is dog tame for me. I can handle her whenever I want with absolutely no issues.

Quote:

By nature a blood is nasty

Buzz...try again Jeopardy contestant. See above statement as to why.

Quote:

Mainly people consider them aggressive because of how strong their bite is

Source? To my knowledge there has never been a scientific study on the bite strength of the genus. Ah, but hell I have only kept them for a few years, not need to listen to me, you KNOW a guy who has one man.

OK, I should probably add as a footnote, Kimbo, I’m not attacking you personally bro.....I see a lot, and I mean a lot of BS when it comes to bloods. I love them and it really pisses me off when I see people do the whole stereotype "Oh they’re mean" "Aggressive" etc routine.

10/16/10  09:28am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2181442

whoops sorry for double post.

10/16/10  09:29am

Getscared
View Profile

I am trying yo get rid of myglass tanks. As soon as I find a rack to buy they are outta here.
Ive been watching a lot of videos on these guys and I found a guy who seems to know his stuff and put out a video on handling them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLEEU4m7c1c

Im wanting a snake thats more challenging than my ball python. I dont feel like I can learn enough about behavior and body language from him. I hope to one day have the facilities and experience for a burm or retic and 10 years and a ball python will only make me sloppy.
I fully expect to get bitten at some point lol
Building a cage for the blood will be good practice too.

Wow thats quite a leap! haha I will certainly get one as a baby so I can learn to handle it and tame it down some before it gets big.

10/16/10  09:29am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2181444

Ok gotcha...getting rid of glass tanks is a good way to go. I watched the vid...nice...so no problems there.

It’s not necessarily a job of ’taming’ it down. A lot of what you get depends on how it’s bred etc. I have earlier given the example of Gretta, my ’wild’ blood. Now I will give an example of a meek one. Charlotte, my other acquisition on 1/19 was dog tame from the moment I got her. Probably the result of her being well bred/socialized from birth.

IMHO a keeper shouldn’t go into the experience "expecting to get bitten". When it comes to bloods if you’re careful and don’t make any concretely stupid mistakes, its never a matter of ’getting bitten"

10/16/10  11:31am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2181456

I meant if it were a jumpy snake or something Id like to hve it young so I could work with it while it is a safer size. I understand what your saying :) Every animal is different.

I guess I should re-word that. I dont exactly mean that Im expecting to get bit. More that I am prepared and know that if i make a mistake I will be bitten and that beginners in anything will make a mistake at some point.

10/16/10  02:20pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2181444

Bloods are great. I’ve always wanted one and was close to getting one recently, until I decided to get a bumese instead. I just got a granite six days ago. Maybe someday I’ll get the blood, but an olive is next on my list.

If you really want something a little more challenging than the ball python, I would suggest checking out the macklots, white lip, or water python.

Those, along with the olive python are my favorites of the pythons. Highly underrated and no where near as common as the balls, burms, and bloods. I didn’t recommend the olive because they get huge. I currently own a water python and it is my favorite in my collection.

I’m still doing some blood research myself because I think they’re neat looking snakes. It’s their heavy body that makes me like them. Good luck with yours whenever you get one.

10/21/10  07:59pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2182605

Thanks for the suggestions. i think I will take your advice on that.
I really like the look of the whitelip. they are pretty cool.

I will do some research on less common species and look into that.

10/24/10  12:46pm

Buffaloriver
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2183084

I own two blood pythons other than being a little hissy right before shedding I havnt had any problems with them they are great I really enjoy keeping them

10/26/10  09:05pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Buffaloriver   In reference to Message Id: 2183774

I love my blood.I would never have boughten one in a million yrs but someone traded one to me for a boa.Im really glad I took the trade.She is awesome.A bit nervous but way calmer then my jcp.She is the only one I keep in a bin but with the humidity levels and making her feels secure you just cant beat a bin..I use eco earth for substrate and it keeps the humidity perfect.Eventually I will get her a premade plastic reptile cage(I usually make wood cages for the other snakes) but with her I think a plastic cage is best.

12/29/10  10:26am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area