Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

TheDream   TheDream   Catfish_82   TheDream   Catfish_82   TheDream   Catfish_82  
 Member  Message

TheDream
View Profile

Sterilite Drawer Rack

I’m not sure if this has been discussed or not but I thought I would try something new over this past weekend and am not sure how I feel about the results.

Previous to trying this I had used sterilite tubs placed on a Home Depot Plastic rack and seemed to work out ok but was a pain to move around, etc.

I noticed a few issues off the bat:

1.) There is a small gap (1/8) between the lip of the bins and the actual white plastic frame. I figured this wouldn’t be a huge issue housing bloods so I set up my newspaper, water bowl and hides in each, placed digital humidity gauges on the back walls of the bins and got the temps to the low 80’s where they should be. I achieve these temps by using a ground heater that is a few feet away.

2.) Humidity- with these temps, water bowls and newspaper as substrate I could only achieve around 38-40% humidity. Way too low so here is what I did: I bought a roll of 1/8 foil tape and stuck it to the bottoms of the frame so that it would lift the bins and seal the gaps in the front and back. Well still, couldn’t get humidity up.

3.) Finally I decided to place heat pads under the bins and placed the water dishes over them and supplied a soaked sponge on top of the hides and was able to produce 49-50% and this held overnight.

I really can’t figure out the issue. Only thing I can think of is that there are gaps on the inside sides where air could escape and humidity cannot build. Only thing I can think of.

It’s kind of driving me nuts right now as I care too much for my reptiles and want them to be in optimal living quarters.

This is what I thought of trying: I thought maybe tonight I would get a piece of plexiglass 1/8 thick and create a cover for a bin and see how that works. That way I can worry about just the tub being enclosed rather than the tub and the frame holding the bins. Please if you have any suggestions or think I am over reacting, I appreciate any responses.

I will throw a pic I snapped here shortly. The idea is great, clean look...but may need some work....

04/19/10  12:07pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2141729

Sterilite Drawer Rack

04/19/10  12:11pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2141730

Sterilite Drawer Rack

Pat...I normally suggest increasing the size of a water bowl or misting to increase humidity. However, if you’ve put wet sponges in there then that’s similar (although an excellent source of mold, mildew and bacteria). Try misting in addition to what you’re already doing, see if that helps. In addition (and I may be wrong) but I noticed that the space around the cage is empty. IF you have a designated ’snake room’ then try putting a humidifier in the room. That may help as well. One more thing, what brand of digital hygrometer are you using? I have found several brands and several models that work for crap. For example I have an accurite (which I’ve previously praised as quite reliable) that has a 9% difference in what it reads versus what the actual humidity is.

Also consider the placement of your cages. Are they in a room with a lot of sunlight, or that is otherwise abnormally dry? That can suck the humidity right out of the cages.

04/20/10  09:15pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2142146

Sterilite Drawer Rack

Hey Catfish,

I removed the sponges and had the idea of trying something else that might work.

The brand of hygrometer I am using is Springfield? Its the digital temperature/ hygrometer guage. It has a white outer border. I have been using these in every one of my enclosures and they all seem to read the same, but that doesn’t mean they are spot on. They all could be 9% off as what you were saying. What have you found to be reliable?

As far as my setup; the room doesn’t get much light. I designated my second bedroom to be somewhat like an office setup and I have the rack setup in there as well, the room is heated by a floor heater and I have that set to where I achieve 80-83 temps inside the enclosures.

What I did yesterday was I grabbed 3 sheets of plexi glass at HD and scored them in a way that would slide in over the tops of the bins and fit inside of the frame itself. From what I have gathered yesterday up until this morning, I was able to hold 55-65% humidity according to my gauges. This is just with a water bowl inside each enclosure, newspaper as substrate, and the hides. I also used a soldering iron and placed 4 holes in the front of the bins.

Let me know if you want me to snap some pics. From what I can see so far, I think this will be a great setup aside from the fact that my humidity guages may be off. Let me know. Thanks! Pat

04/21/10  08:56am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2142278

Sterilite Drawer Rack

Pat, that sounds fine to me...sure I’d love to see a few pics of the revamped setup if you want to. I love looking at pics of others setups. I haven’t had any experience with Springfield hygrometers...mostly dealt in accurites. Have a honeywell that seems to work really well, and have placed an order for a western digital caliber III. I’ve been hearing good things. Anyways, congrats on everything.

04/26/10  03:57pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2143568

Sterilite Drawer Rack

Thanks Catfish.

I know I am running behind with getting pics up and getting to the status of my animals. You were right about one thing; I just couldn’t stop at one. :)

As soon as I get everything organized and 100% finished, i’ll throw up some pics of the setup, the snakes, and how everything has come together.

Thanks again Pat

04/26/10  10:43pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2143644

Sterilite Drawer Rack

A cheap way of checking the reliability of your hygrometers would be to order a calibration kit. I believe I saw one on amazon for relatively cheap. However, some hygrometers are unable to be calibrated. My accurite and honey well are like this, and I’m looking at that western caliber and one other brand. The WC is reputed to be reliable and the other one I can calibrate should it get off. Figured I can ’fact check’ that way.

04/27/10  04:56am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area