Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Hyfvenom   Catfish_82   Hyfvenom   Catfish_82   Snakeyman68   Catfish_82  
 Member  Message

Hyfvenom
View Profile

Help for a new blood owner

i just got a beautiful blood python. although right now his terrarium is quite lacking, it has an under tank heater (its a little hot at 96F) , a nice sized water container (he can sit in it completely), with a layer of aspen bedding. according to the care sheet i need 50-65% humidity but seeing as my tank is glass with a screen top, and im not shure how to accomplish that. any tips would be nice cuz i want charlie to have a happy life in his new home.

01/28/10  07:52pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Hyfvenom   In reference to Message Id: 2118211

hyfvenom, first off welcome to the blood forum, and congrats on getting a blood. Is the snake a baby or an adult or somewhere in between? 96 degrees is WAY too hot. At those temps, feeding and health issures are very likely. Is the UTH hooked up to a rheostat or is there some way to control the temps? Bump your basking spot temp down to around 86-88. Ambient air temp in the cage should be around mid 80s while the cool side should be low 80s. As far as boosting your humidity, try covering up a 1/3rd or 2/3rds of the top with a towel. That should help trap more humidity in the cage. Also you could try adding a larger water dish or perhaps multiple water dishes. Or consider misting two or three times a day. Good luck with it.

01/28/10  08:45pm

Hyfvenom
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2118233

thanks a lot. unfortunatly we dont know exactly how old he is but its some were around a year or two. as for the heater there is no way the change the temp directly the only thing i can think of is putting like a folder inbetween it and the tank to change the temperature. at least untill i find a better heater

01/29/10  09:25am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Hyfvenom   In reference to Message Id: 2118357

I take it your heater is plugged directly into the wall with nothing inbetween? That’s not good. I know you’ve said you have an UTH, but what brand is it? Whatever you have you’re going to need a rheostat. That’s how you regulate your temperatures. A quick temporary fix would be go down to home depot and get a dimmer switch. Splice it in between the wall outlet and the heater, that way you can turn the heat down. Don’t get me wrong, this method is IMO extremely innacurate, but if you can knock your temps down about 8-10 degrees that will work until you can get a better set up.

01/29/10  12:40pm

Snakeyman68
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2118396

I would definitely consider/focus on a different set up and go for a suitable sized tub or alternative rather than a glass tank which is rather too good at retaining moisture for longer than needed so it gets very damp for very long periods which is not what you want.

the set up is the most crucial thing for a healthy snake make it the best you can manage.

01/29/10  05:27pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Snakeyman68   In reference to Message Id: 2118463

Quote:

I would definitely consider/focus on a different set up and go for a suitable sized tub or alternative rather than a glass tank which is rather too good at retaining moisture for longer than needed

Snakey is exactly right concerning the plastic tubs. I have kind of climbed off my soapbox as far as preaching plastic tubs goes. However, holding too much humidity? In my experience, glass aquariums (with no regulation) hold little humidity.

02/04/10  11:21pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area