Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Puffpuff420   Catfish_82   Puffpuff420   SnakeKeeper19   Catfish_82   Snakeyman68   Snakeyman68   Catfish_82  
 Member  Message

Puffpuff420
View Profile

Newbie blood python owner ..wow

wow ok so the pet store had this beautiful lil creatur in a tank kinda off to the side.. anyways long story and ALOTTA convincing later i was able to bring him home. Ive started calling him Ash..not sure why but he doesnt complain. So Ash is 4mnths old (we think) extreammmly docile ..hes been in my hoodie pocket for 2 hours now. lmao . So anyways like any new parent i wanted to show off my new baby..

01/01/10  06:47pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Puffpuff420   In reference to Message Id: 2109879

Very nice snake puff. Just a friendly tip seeing as how you bought it from a pet store. Get it to a vet qualified to do exotic animals ASAP. Have it thoroughly checked for external and internal parasites. Also have the vet give it a thorough physical, just to be on the safe side. As a further precaution, isolate it from your other snakes if you have any for at least six months. Blood pythons are often very poorly cared for in a pet store. Most employees (not knocking anyone who does work there) don’t know anything about them other than throw in a rat every week, and occasionally scoop out poo. But I wish you luck and congrats on your new snake!

01/02/10  01:15am

Puffpuff420
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2109968

catfish thank you very much... yep i know most of the regular care about snakes and most reps...keep them away from others...lights heat blah blah blah all the important stufff... what sucks is i live in a place where the closest exotic animal vet is 8 hours away..maybe even further.. so ...im doing the whole TLC thing...everything i possible can do and check and go from there. the pet store i go to has a pretty good reputation and the guy that works in the black exotic section is pretty knowlagable and ya i think this is gunna be a good buy! yay me!

01/03/10  12:37am

SnakeKeeper19
View Profile

Message To: Puffpuff420   In reference to Message Id: 2110251

I see its on aspen bedding, which doesnt hold humidity very well. Baby bloods need about a 75% humidity. Switch the bedding to eco earth, repti-bark, or cypress mulch

01/14/10  02:55pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: SnakeKeeper19   In reference to Message Id: 2113662

Quote:

Baby bloods need about a 75% humidity.

I disagree. Keeping a snake at elevated humidity like that makes it more prone to respiratory illness. I’m curious, where did you get that number from? That’s more a humidity I would recommend for shedding rather than for every day.

01/15/10  07:21am

Snakeyman68
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2113817

Quote:

I disagree. Keeping a snake at elevated humidity like that makes it more prone to respiratory illness. I’m curious, where did you get that number from? That’s more a humidity I would recommend for shedding rather than for every day.

absolutely that’s too high for a baby blood on a constant day to day basis. 55 to 60 is closer to what you should aim for below that may cause problems in shedding but too much is detrimental for them and can lead to respiratory problems.

01/22/10  06:55am

Snakeyman68
View Profile

Message To: Snakeyman68   In reference to Message Id: 2116191

I would like to add that it is some what confusing for would be Blood Owners as the information on the web is very varied and conflicting unfortunately. There are forums and sites where you can get advice from real people who actually keep these snakes and breed them and that is the best place to gather information.

I have kept and bred snakes for over 20 years and it amazes me the amount of inaccurate information flung on to the web which can be dangerous to the snakes and their owners.

Try http://www.ball-pythons.net I highly recommend this site for the amount of knowledgeable friendly people there covering most species of snakes and other pets including Bloods. There are knowledgeable people on here as well but its a rather slow moving community here and can take some time for people to gain a response.

Most importantly speak to people who own them if you can, contact reputable breeders if need be as good accurate information is invaluable.

01/22/10  07:40am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Snakeyman68   In reference to Message Id: 2116197

Quote:

I have kept and bred snakes for over 20 years and it amazes me the amount of inaccurate information flung on to the web which can be dangerous to the snakes and their owners.

Bingo....Snakey, please promise me you’ll never be too far from this site again, lol.

01/26/10  11:01pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area