Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

TheDream   Catfish_82   TheDream   Catfish_82   Isabela   Bearded_dragon_0   Catfish_82   TheDream   TheDream   Isabela   Catfish_82   TheDream   Catfish_82   Isabela   Catfish_82   Snakeyman68   Isabela   TheDream   Isabela   TheDream   TheDream   TheDream   Isabela   TheDream   Catfish_82   Isabela   TheDream   TheDream   Randy Clark   TheDream  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

TheDream
View Profile

Thinking about getting a Blood

Hello all.

I wanted to find out as much as I can and learn as much as I can about the short tail/ blood python.

It has always been my favorite snake and I am looking into getting one at the Hamburg show in February. I have done quite a bit of research, however I have questions....

I am sold on the idea of using a sterilite container.....my question is how do you guys regulate temperature (heating pads, lights) with these types of containers?

I’d like to use newspaper as substrate and have a hiding box. I know to not handle a baby as it needs to adapt to its surroundings before I start handling.

With that, I am looking to get a male and was wondering what you recommended (sumatran, borneo, etc)

Glad to be here! Pat

12/14/09  04:02pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2104866

Hey Pat, welcome to the blood forum. First of all, congratulations! Bloods make for extremely rewarding snakes. I have $10.00 now on the fact that you won’t be able to stop with just one lol. To answer your specific questions:

I’m glad you’re going with a sterilite tub. They hold humidity so much better than aquariums. A plastic tub will work great for a baby or a sub-adult. Bloods (especially babies) like enclosed places. It helps them feel secure. You can regulate the humidity by drilling more holes in the side of the tub. Take an accurate hydrometer and measure the humidity in the tub. Drill/cover holes until you get to about 60 -65% humidity. This is a good normal humidity for bloods. Of course during shedding you’ll need 80% humidity. You can regulate the temperature by simply regulating how much of the cage is in contact with heating material. I would strongly recommend flexwatt as your heating source. Lighting in a plastic tub is a fire hazard. Speaking of which, I don’t recommend lighting for your blood. They don’t need it, and it’s strictly for you to view the snake.

Newspaper makes a great substrate, because it’s easy to clean, cheap, and doesn’t have any negative effects on the snake. You will need two hiding boxes at least. One for the hot side, and one for the cold side. Your blood is going to spend the majority of its time in these boxes. They are a shy reclusive species by nature. Regarding the time you’ll need to leave it alone, well done Pat. Bloods will appreciate a period of being left alone to acclimate to their surroundings. I left Marle alone for two weeks before I tried handling her as well as feeding her. I’ll go ahead and warn you. Young bloods can be nippy. Doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing anything wrong.

I personally prefer female snakes, simply because they usually get larger. But a male is not a bad acquisition. However, don’t start a flame war by asking people kind of blood they prefer lol. I keep the red bloods (brongersmai) so I am biased. However, all species are equally rewarding to keep I think.

12/14/09  09:10pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2105014

Thank you Catfish for the well detailed post, it really helps me out.

The reason I asked about the different types of bloods/ short tails was in regards to the size they usually get. I tend to like the shorter bloods.

Do you recommend a place to purchase my supplies aside from the sterilite container and newspaper lol more so the heating sources, etc.

Again thank you for all of your help, I fell this will be a great experience!

12/15/09  09:03am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2105166

Dream,

You’re welcome. I’m glad I can help. Having only kept the brongersmai (red bloods) as of yet, I couldn’t really say one type gets larger than the others. However, if you check out VPI.com they have a really good and detailed blood biography including their size. Paraphrasing from that site, the max for bloods (of any kind) is basically six feet. Your females will get bigger than males, and a bit less girthy as well.

I got my tub from Walmart. I cant remember the exact size, but it’s pretty big. However, Marle is rapidly outgrowing it, and I will soon be switching to a custom made enclosure. I usually ask my neighbors and family for their unwanted newspaper. That is always a free, abundant source. For heating, I got my flexwatt from a site called Reptile basics. Link. They’re based out of Trinity, NC. I’m also in NC (though not affiliated with them in any way). So its easy for me to get things I need through them. Honestly though, you can google flexwatt and find suppliers.

Good luck!

12/15/09  05:18pm

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2105285

Black bloods are supposed to stay the smallest, red bloods get the largest, and Borneos are somewhere in the middle. Of course, you’ll find your monster blacks and small reds so you should be prepared to house a large animal. : )

12/15/09  07:09pm

Bearded_dragon_0
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2104866

Quote:

I know to not handle a baby as it needs to adapt to its surroundings before I start handling.

Just don’t handle it for a few days and not too long of periods after wards for a while. Or it will turn out like mine (It was only a couple minutes of bleeding).

12/19/09  07:29pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Bearded_dragon_0   In reference to Message Id: 2106381

Quote:

Just don’t handle it for a few days and not too long of periods after wards for a while.

bearded, no offense dude/dudette, but that’s very bad advice. Bloods need a two week minimum of quiet time before attempting handling or feeding or anything. And handling thereafter should be dependant on the snakes mood. If the snake accepts it, theres no reason/no harm done by having a twenty or thirty minute handling session.

12/20/09  12:11am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2106458

Oh yes; I wouldn’t handle nor stress the snake out in any way for at least a couple of weeks. The snake needs to adapt to its surroundings without the added interference. Its enough of a change for the snake itself to be lofted into an unknown environment, different temp, surroundings let alone trying to handle just after a few days.

I also had a few other concerns; does anyone have a digram and or a basic set up guide on how to use the flex watt adapted to a thermostat? I plan on using a sterilite container and am versed on how to drill holes, however I am new to the flexwatt, etc.

Also, do any of you feed your snakes in another container rather than their primary setup? I have heard of feeding in a separate tub.

Thanks everyone.

12/21/09  10:55am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2106458

Oh yes; I wouldn’t handle nor stress the snake out in any way for at least a couple of weeks. The snake needs to adapt to its surroundings without the added interference. Its enough of a change for the snake itself to be lofted into an unknown environment, different temp, surroundings let alone trying to handle just after a few days.

I also had a few other concerns; does anyone have a digram and or a basic set up guide on how to use the flex watt adapted to a thermostat? I plan on using a sterilite container and am versed on how to drill holes, however I am new to the flexwatt, etc.

Also, do any of you feed your snakes in another container rather than their primary setup? I have heard of feeding in a separate tub.

Thanks everyone.

12/21/09  11:20am

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2106864

I can’t help ya with the flexxwatt thing but feeding out of the tub to get rid of aggression is the biggest baloney ever! Moving your snake before and after it eats is a great way to stress it out and make it go off feeding. Let it feed from the security of its home so it can attack how it would in the wild (ambush).

That being said, people do feed out of the tank separately and say their snake won’t eat in the tub. The most important thing is to do whatever works for you and your snake, but feeding in tank will not cause aggression like so many people will readily tell you on the internet.

12/21/09  11:42am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2106871

Here’s a quick how to guide on wiring flexwatt, just take the space out from between herp and center. For some reason it wouldn’t let me post it either way: http://www.herp center.com/wiring-heat-tape.html and here’s a quick guide to wiring in a rheostat (a simple dimmer in this case) so you can control the temps: http://www.herp center.com/wiring-heat-tape-dimmer-switch.html

I personally dislike using something that unsophisticated because that is an inaccurate way to control temps IMHO. I personally use a Ranco ETC-111000 prewired rheostat/thermometer found here: Link I’ve had it for about two years now and it works wonderfully.

Oh as far as feeding in seperate enlosures, Dennis is absolutely correct.

12/21/09  01:48pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2106936

Great! I’m going to try and get the supplies I need and go from there....

I understand the concepts now of the flex watt, thermostat, etc.

What I came up with is this; I plan on purchasing a sterilite bin and then store it on one of the sterilite shelving units. Can I mount the tape to the shelving or the bottom of the sterilite bin?

Is it ok to provide two hide spots, or just one? I figured at least one on the colder side?

12/23/09  04:00pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2107576

Well in general the more contact between the bottom of the cage and the flexwatt the better the heating effect you will get. However, if you mount it to the direct bottom of the cage you will have to worry about moving it when you go to wash the cage out. Do me a favor, since you plan to get this tub, take a few pics and post them here. I’d kind of like to see exactly what kind of bin you’re talking about.

About the hides, you need two minimum. One on the hot side, one on the cold side. That way the snake can properly thermoregulate without having to choose safety over heat.

12/23/09  06:33pm

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2107607

Some people just used crumpled up newspaper as hides for bloods.

I think people have tried using the sterilite stacking units in the past, but the snakes were able to get out easily. Make sure the tubs are held in very securely.

And I’m not sure if there is room in the units to put flexxwatt in. Even if there is, flexwatt will only heat a portion of the tub. How do you plan on heating the entire thing?

12/23/09  06:41pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2107614

Quote:

Some people just used crumpled up newspaper as hides for bloods.

Exactly. As the old saying goes, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I personally, knowing how young bloods like enclosed spaces, tend to prefer something a little more concrete and defined than just crumpled newspaper. But like I said, it’s not incorrect to just use crumpled newspaper.

Quote:

Make sure the tubs are held in very securely.

Again, Dennis is absolutely correct. Hence my desire to see Pat post some pics of what he’s thinking of getting.

Quote:

Even if there is, flexwatt will only heat a portion of the tub. How do you plan on heating the entire thing?

Bloods like lower temps than ball pythons. Besides, if Pat is talking about the kind of bin I think he’s talking about then an 11" piece of flexwatt would be more than adequate to not only provide the hot spot, but to heat the whole enclosure.

Sorry, trying to make sense.....drunk again. Recent college grad= celebration= inebriation.

12/24/09  12:20am

Snakeyman68
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2107683

good to see another blood owner to the scene or soon to be one anyway.

Catfish gave great advice one thing I might add to that is young bloods hatchlings up to yearlings can be a bit skittish and appear nervous. However they almost always tame down well with regular handling as they attain their adult size and get more confident.

The thing with bloods more so than say royals ( balls ) for example is they benefit from being able to read snake behavior to a certain degree.

Confidence and calmness are required to handle these animals, they pick up on your energy as all animals do but you cant be hesitant or nervous with them.

Do also bare in mind they may not get very long on average around the 5 to 6ft mark the latter being the females but they get very thick and heavy and are incredibly strong and you cant control them like you would a ball python hence the importance of developing their attitude through regular handling and meeting their husbandry requirements.

In general they are great feeders and as adults you can maintain them on a 14 day feeding cycle quite comfortably, they love water so always provide as large a water bowl as possible and hides in both the cool and warm ends of their enclosure.

I have personally seen 8 ft specimens which are considered very large both of mine are close to the 6ft mark and over 30Ibs and are a real handful when they decide they want to go somewhere you dont want them to lol

So think carefully what you want from your pet snake and ensure you can provide everything it deserves for a healthy carefree life before deciding on the species.

best of luck
snakey

12/24/09  07:25am

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: Snakeyman68   In reference to Message Id: 2107714

Quote:

Exactly. As the old saying goes, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. I personally, knowing how young bloods like enclosed spaces, tend to prefer something a little more concrete and defined than just crumpled newspaper. But like I said, it’s not incorrect to just use crumpled newspaper.

Yeah, I agree. I picked up some small bowls from the dollar store and they make perfect snug hides.

And where’d ya graduate from. I’ll be graduating from the Univ of Maryland this spring...

Dennis

12/24/09  02:04pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2107796

I can’t tell you all enough how much this helps me out. As far as the enclosure, I would like to start with a smaller sterilite container (sweater box) I was just wondering if it makes more sense to attch the flex watt to the base of the enclosure or to a shelving unit if I go towards that route.

Maryland? I’m actually not too far from the University, I live just outside of Rockville.

Thanks everyone! and Merry Christmas Eve lol

12/24/09  05:45pm

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2107842

Quote:

I was just wondering if it makes more sense to attch the flex watt to the base of the enclosure or to a shelving unit if I go towards that route.

Maryland? I’m actually not too far from the University, I live just outside of Rockville.

I’m still not entirely sure what you’re asking here, but my UTH is directly under the tub my Borneo is in. And its not really "attached", rather, its sitting on top of it. Zoomed makes UTH’s that have sticky sides that are a real pain in the to deal with. You’re better off just resting your tub on top of the UTH. But let me know if I’m way off mark here.

And another Marylander eh? Have you heard of the Havre de Grace reptile shows? They are the only shows in our area that happen once a month. You should definitely go the the January show! : )

Dennis

12/30/09  02:00am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2109164

You’re not way off at all. You answered my question. I will set up the heat pad on shelving that I purchased and set the container on top of the pad. Reptile Basics has been helping me out with the best way of going about this. I appreciate the help. I’ll get everything set up and snap a pic once its complete and see what you guys think.

Havre de Grace; I have been there twice and also attended the manassas show once. It’s definitely a nice show. I also just got back from Hamburg a few weeks ago as I heard that was a big show. Definitely nice to have a lot of different shows to go to in the area.

12/30/09  08:40am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2109197

I was recommended to start off with a sterilite tub measuring 22 x 15 x 6 high. I was also recommended the Ultra Therm Heat Pad 11 x 11.

My only concern is now finding a good thermometer/ hygrometer so I can monitor the temps, humidity. Anyone have a recommendation as to what would be best?

So far-- I need 2 hide boxes, watering dish, Heat Pad, container and tool for measuring temps/ humidity.

Can’t Wait!

12/30/09  09:52am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2109215

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3598159

This is what I found so far from Radio Shack.

12/30/09  10:55am

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2109228

That is basically what you want, an indoor/outdoor thermometer w/ a hydrometer, but that is wayyyyyy too expensive. Walmart sells an Acurite indoor/outdoor unit for 13$ that is accurate and reliable. I use a timex one that I found off amazon for 15$ that has worked well for me.

If you want the most accurate thing out there, temp guns are the way to go. I own this one from RBI, and like it a lot. Link

Dennis

12/30/09  02:48pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2109283

So then just get a temp gun and a hygrometer? I’m not sure if that comes with one or not.

12/30/09  03:22pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2109298

Quote:

And its not really "attached", rather, its sitting on top of it. Zoomed makes UTH’s that have sticky sides that are a real pain in the to deal with.

Dennis is right here. I’ll only add that once you’ve stuck a zoomed heat pad on your cage, if you peel it off, it’ll never stick properly again. Zoomed makes absolute trash....sorry if there are any loyalists out there, but thats my opinion.

Quote:

I was recommended to start off with a sterilite tub measuring 22 x 15 x 6 high. I was also recommended the Ultra Therm Heat Pad 11 x 11.

That should be alright for the setup. The ultra therm looks alright, a little pricey, but ok. Keep in mind though that you’ll still need a rheostat to go with it.

Dennis is also absolutely correct in that walmart sells an accurate temperature/hydrometer for a great price. I’d go with that, it’s much cheaper. I’ll probably ruffle a few feathers here, but I personally don’t use heat guns, and think they’re a bit excessive for a species that doesn’t require ’exact’ temps. I’ve always done fine with just my accurite.

Oh, and sorry to post so late, I graduated from UNC Charlotte. My degree is in Biology.

12/30/09  07:56pm

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2109374

Quote:

So then just get a temp gun and a hygrometer? I’m not sure if that comes with one or not.

Temp guns don’t come with hydrometers so you’d need to buy one. If you go this route, make sure you don’t get the stick on hydrometers from petsmart. They are junk.

My digital thermometer usually only differs 1-2 degrees from my temp gun, so they aren’t necessary if you have 1 tub. Although, they are nice for checking the exact temps at many different parts of the tub (which is hard to do with the digi thermometers), and if you plan on getting more snakes, 1 temp gun can be used for all of the tubs while 1 thermometer cant.

DEnnis

12/31/09  11:21am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2109523

I finally was able to get my setup together over the past couple of months and anticipate getting a blood very soon.

I had a few questions and concerns however; As you can see from the photo I am using a sterilite custom enclosure I picked up at a show and have the 500R Thermostat and Zoo Med Heat pad hooked up to it with an in tank hygrometer and 2 digital temp gauges with probes.

I was told to mount the heat pad to the side of the enclosure and wanted to know if there were any downsides in doing this?

The probes are set up on the hot side and cold side towards the top of the enclosure. Does it matter if they are setup there or should they be at the bottom of the enclosure, halfway down or all of the way?

My concern last night was that the enclosure wasn’t heating up properly; I checked the temps this morning and it went up only about 3 degrees overnight with a starting temperature of around 72.4

Humidity is around 50% at the moment. If anybody has any advice I would appreciate it greatly; I am very excited and have learned so much from you guys. Thanks! Pat

02/22/10  09:23am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2125794

I also wanted to mention that the heater I am using is a Exo Terra Heat Wave Pad in the desert edition. It is being controlled by the 500R.

I didn’t know if anyone else was using this heater but it seems to me that it doesn’t heat up very fast; I touched it this morning and it seemed warm but nowhere near hot.

02/22/10  12:19pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: TheDream   In reference to Message Id: 2125860

I set my probes at the height my herp is going to be at so in this case I say a few inches from the bottom. Personally I prefer to mount my heat pads/tape underneath my tank/tubs. Heat rises:). As for the humidity is increase the amount of water in the water dish or put the dish partially over the heat pad. If you need to drill ventilation holes in the tub here’s a little tip,put a few holes down low on on of the sides then on the other side of the tub put a few more in the top,this will circulate the warm air.

02/22/10  03:26pm

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2125931

Thanks for the response. The reason why I mounted the pad on the side was because I was advised in doing so as the setup is a plastic sterilite, and the owner of a small reptile store that I bought the equipment from told me to do so.

I can try lowering the probes as well. The pad just doesn’t seem to heat up as I thought it would. Its warm but not even close to being hot, etc. I am going to check the temps when I get home from work and see if there is any change.

02/22/10  03:43pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area