Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

SnakeKeeper19   Catfish_82   SnakeKeeper19   Catfish_82  
 Member  Message

SnakeKeeper19
View Profile

Considering a Borneo Short tailed Python

Hello, im new to the forum. Im talking to a guy that wants to trade a borneo short tailed python for my eastern blue tongued skink and crested gecko. Is it a good deal? the python is a 4 ft female. ive been doing research and tell me if this sounds right. I have a 55 gallon tank thats 4 ft long, 2 ft tall and 1 ft wide. i plan on knocking out one of the pieces of glass on the sides and making an extension to add on the back so it would be a foot wider but the same length and heighth. that would be 8 sq. feet of ground space. also about 2 1/2 inches of eco- earth, a large sterilite water dish, a large hide and 2 125 watt heat bulbs. does everything sound good?

12/10/09  11:39am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: SnakeKeeper19   In reference to Message Id: 2103320

First, welcome to the blood forum. I would never say that getting a blood is a bad idea....provided you know how to care for it. Second, a mature blood, similar to the one you’re considering getting would probably retail for around 300 bucks (thats an estimation for a normal morph). So a good trade would be whatever you consider a good trade. Consider this guy may be trying to pawn his bad trade/difficult feeder off on you. However, considering if you’re gung-ho about this, a 55 gallon tank will work for a blood that size, albeit for a little while. However, instead of knocking out the back and installing more glass at cost, I’d consider purchasing a custom made tub i.e. animal plastics T10 or vision model 622. The reason is that bloods like higher humidity than your ball pythons or boa constrictors and plastic tubs help contain more humidity. As well, I strongly advocate against any light based heat sourced or CHE heat sourced. Bloods are strictly terrestrial. As such, they do well with a ground based heat such as flexwatt. Anyways, good luck. If you need any help with your addition, myself or the other knowledgeable members of the forum will be glad to help you.

12/10/09  10:59pm

SnakeKeeper19
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2103499

Thanks, I ended up just trading my skink for her. I dug out an old 50 gallon long and she lives comfortably in that. Shes doing great, to see pictures go here: http://repticzone.com/forums/*Snakes-General/messages/2118525.html

01/31/10  12:12am

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: SnakeKeeper19   In reference to Message Id: 2118905

Very nice blood. The others are nice as well. Good luck with her my friend.

02/04/10  11:17pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area