Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Imacrabbyshark   Catfish_82   Isabela   Catfish_82   Isabela   Imacrabbyshark   Catfish_82   Cleverdv8tion  

Member  Message

Imacrabbyshark
View Profile

Recommended size of feed for baby

Just wondering if a 2 or 3 month old blood python could take a small rat. I am having trouble finding a source of live rat pups in my area and I heard that rats are better than mice. I feed my adult snakes pre-killed or frozen but this baby is not taking killed yet. I can feed him large mice but I would like to get him on rats as soon as possible. Does anyone have any experience with feeding small rats to babies and were there any problems?

11/17/09  04:41pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Imacrabbyshark   In reference to Message Id: 2096297

I think what passes as a small rat might be a bit large for a baby blood. Something about 35 grams or so would probably be good. You might be able to trick your blood into accepting F/T by heating a prekilled rat in hot water and then leaving it in his hide.

11/18/09  12:29am

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2096433

Rats give no nutritional value over mice. I’d stick with mice until he can handle small rats.

I was recently told that my couple month old Borneo could handle weaned rats and the small rats I have in my freezer are WAY too big for him.

Dennis

12/02/09  05:23pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2100886

Quote:

I’d stick with mice until he can handle small rats.

The problem with going the mouse to rat path is that some bloods have a difficult transition, and you’re going to have feeding problems. It’s actually much less worrisome to start them off on what they’ll be eating for the rest of their lives.

12/04/09  01:51pm

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2101471

Quote:

The problem with going the mouse to rat path is that some bloods have a difficult transition, and you’re going to have feeding problems. It’s actually much less worrisome to start them off on what they’ll be eating for the rest of their lives.

I agree about the transition thing, but small rats are just too large for a young blood. The small rats I have absolutely dwarf the 4-5 month old blood I have. I’d much rather do the transition down the road than risk overfeeding or causing a regurgitation.

Dennis

12/04/09  05:25pm

Imacrabbyshark
View Profile

Message To: Isabela   In reference to Message Id: 2101530

Thanks for the input. I have fed 2 weanling rats over the past two weeks. He had some difficulty taking it, but he has not regurgitated or anything so I think I will be okay for now. I do want to a void a possible aversion to rats if he gets used to mice so I want to stick to rats. I am going to try to get him on pre-killed and then frozen so I will be able to feed him rat pups which are a more appropriate size. I will try a pre-killed weanling next week and hopefully he will take it. He seems to be scared of the live baby rats - the only way he strikes and constricts is if we put the rat a few inches in front of him and the rat holds still. Otherwise, he just strikes at the rat.

12/04/09  10:55pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Imacrabbyshark   In reference to Message Id: 2101607

Crabbyshark, I’m very glad to hear he’s eating for you.

And Dennis, lol I think you and I are saying the same thing just in different ways.

12/05/09  09:54am

Cleverdv8tion
View Profile

Message To: Imacrabbyshark   In reference to Message Id: 2096297

rats are better than mice and much cleaner. i found the best way to make sure you always have rats on hand is to breed them yourself. I do prefer to feed live prey. my young sumatran black has only been on killed or frozen thawed prey. i prefer to feed live as it stimulates them more. they hunt in the wild right? to switch stun the rat a bit by flicking him on the head and then you can either still dangle it in front of the snake or lie it in the tank with the snake. by breeding your own snakes you know the health of them, and you know what they have been eating so you know how healthy they are for the snake. eventually the snake will learn to hunt live prey. just make sure to watch in case your snake gets bit. flick the rat on the head and it will pass out and stop biting. i dont have much of a problem with this a all.

12/20/11  04:42am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area