Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Scooter grand   Mdate   N2t   Carpet Blood Ball   Carpet Blood Ball   Salazar   Catfish_82   Carpet Blood Ball   Catfish_82   Carpet Blood Ball   Catfish_82   Carpet Blood Ball  
 Member  Message

Scooter grand
View Profile

Feeding questions, NEED HELP

Hello i have a red blood and he dosen’t seem to want to eat. last week he ate but im only feeding him fuzzies right now becuase he doesnt seem to have a whole lot of energy. when we pick him up out of his cage he doesnt feel very strong if you know what i mean. his temps and humidity levels are fine. when we got him he has a RI and we took him to vet and gave him shots every other day like we were supposed to and it seems to help but it just seems to be going down hill slowly. im a litlle afriad of feeding him a mouse because i didnt think that he would be interested and im afraid of the mouse bitting him and so forth.

Here are some pics of him

10/02/09  03:52pm

Mdate
View Profile

Message To: Scooter grand   In reference to Message Id: 2079492

When I first got mine he had a bad RI, I opted for the oral dosage of antibiotics and it took maybe a month of giving the med everyday and maybe getting him to eat once or twice. You might want to be feeding a bigger size than a fuzzy. They need all the nutrients at this moment. What are your temps and humidity?

10/04/09  02:16am

N2t
View Profile

Message To: Mdate   In reference to Message Id: 2080085

small enclosure, close eye on temps and humidity, and IMHO use fresh killed small meals if able, I would try to stay away from live. Most animals will take f/t or f/k fine and it may even help this guy feel a bit more willing to feed.

10/04/09  04:53am

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: N2t   In reference to Message Id: 2080101

thanks so much guys i really wanted some help with this, it just hurts to not see him eat as much as i know he can.

10/04/09  02:33pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2080218

How do you think is the best way to kill a mouse or prey item, i have alway used CO2 but i wouldnt want to feed the prey unless you guys think that it would be close enough to perfectly fine for my blood to eat

10/04/09  02:41pm

Salazar
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2080220

A good way to kill the prey item is to wack it on a wall or tile floor possibly try to choke the prey item [ussaly works with big prey items.]

10/07/09  06:54pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Scooter grand   In reference to Message Id: 2079492

Describe your setup. IMHO 90% of new bloods feeding problems directly relate to improper husbandry. However, you’ve said the snake has an RI and that you’re treating it, so I would expect feeding to be erratic. As previously mentioned, that snake needs to be taking rats. Not mice. If he’s young, then try a smallish F/T rat every seven days. You can try heating it up in hot water or with a blow dryer to get it slightly above room temps. Try prescenting. Put some soiled rat bedding obtained from your local pet store in his cage for thirty minutes before attempting to feed. That’s how I go Marle to start eating for me, and now she never misses a meal. But first describe the setup, we can go from there. Good luck with it.

10/15/09  05:48am

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2084154

so about 2 weeks ago me and mt girl bought a mouse to see if he would eat it and guess what he did. i was so happy that night, i went out the next day and got another mouse and he ate it as well. then this past tuesday he had one mouse. there isnt any pet stores around my house that has rat pinkies, i wish there was. so this week im going to try again with the two mice and see how he does from there. he is just to small for a rat right now and i dont like fedding F/T. its just not me. ill get some pics up soon with how he is doing now.

10/17/09  03:07pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2085127

Quote:

so about 2 weeks ago me and mt girl bought a mouse to see if he would eat it and guess what he did. i was so happy that night, i went out the next day and got another mouse and he ate it as well.

Bloods are notorious gluttons. Well established specimens arn’t shy about chowing down on several meals. However, for the health of the snake and to prevent obesity, it’s best to limit feedings to every 5-7 days. 10 through 14 as an adult.

Quote:

this past tuesday he had one mouse

Rat pups and weaned rats (14-25 days old on rodentpro) should be an ok size. Generally speaking, a prey item the width of the widest part of the snake is ok. Furthermore, some bloods can be quite picky about switching from mice to rats. Its much safer to start on rats and stay on rats. I can’t pretend I didn’t make that mistake, I started Marle off on mice and successfully switched to rats, but I got lucky.

Quote:

i dont like fedding F/T. its just not me.

It doesn’t matter what is or isn’t you. It’s about whats best for the health of the snake. F/T is the safest method of feeding your snake.

10/17/09  11:08pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2085271

trust me i know to feed it the widest part of his body and that F/T is better but i never leave a feeding until he has it in his death grip, i also make sure that nothing happens to him either. i am feeding him once a week now, im just trying to get his appetite up now i guess you could say.like i said i wish someone around me had rat pups becuase i would start feeding him that if i could, but i just simply cant do that.

10/18/09  12:26pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2085468

Quote:

i wish someone around me had rat pups becuase i would start feeding him that if i could

Have you considered ordering your rodents online? I previously mentioned rodentpro, they’re quite reasonably priced. There’s also people offering rats on the kingsnake and fauna classifieds.

10/18/09  02:08pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2085510

look at my new post, it has pics of how my blood is doing. also doing the bump

10/24/09  07:54pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area