Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

125 watt   125 watt   Isabela  
 Member  Message

125 watt
View Profile

Heating question.

For a long time I have been using a 75 watt ceramic heat bulb right in the middle of the enclosure on a thermostat that would keep ambient temp around 78 degrees with a heat mat on one side of the enclosure to provide a heat gradient. This was a good setup, but it takes about 100 watts of continuous power to keep him warm. But now I have an idea to maybe save 50 watts of power, it all adds up. I’m thinking instead of the 75 watt bulb I would use a 25 watt instead but that woudn’t be able to warm up the size of the cage i have, so I would also use heat mats right under his hiding spots both at different temperatures so he still has the option. Would this be a good idea? Any imput would be appretiated.

09/24/09  09:01pm

125 watt
View Profile

Message To: 125 watt   In reference to Message Id: 2076103

Heating question.

One more questions. What should his skin temp be? All the information i have is about ambient temp. But what about skin tem? Thanks.

09/24/09  09:20pm

Isabela
View Profile

Message To: 125 watt   In reference to Message Id: 2076110

Heating question.

I was told by many breeders to keep my baby at an ambient temp of 82-84F with no hotspot needed. This can be accomplished via heat bulbs, ceramic bulbs, UTHs, etc. Personally I use a UTH to accomplish this. Once he matures some said they give their bloods a 86F hotspot with 82F still as the ambient temp.

And what do you mean by skin temp? I’ve never really heard anyone use that term before. Since they’re cold blooded their skin temp will presumably be what the surrounding environment’s temp is so I’m gonna guess 82-84F?

Dennis

09/28/09  08:21am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area