Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Montessa_Python   Catfish_82   Pythonpetey   Montessa_Python   Python lover   Cleverdv8tion  

Member  Message

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Bitten and handling issue

She looks like she just came out of shed, I found it in her hide.
I took her out tonight, and she tagged me twice. And really wanted to keep trying to bite.
For quite some time around 15 minutes she was really twitchy, wanting nothing more than to escape and bite when my hand came near. I was holding her with my other hand, and kept a pillow case nearby.

Any reasons why, it is unusual for her...
Carol

08/04/09  08:29pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2051038

Bloods are the Vietnam vets of the animal kingdom. They’re gonna be curmudgeonly from time to time, prone to freakouts and flashbacks to tell you how you young whippersnappers don’t appreciate them and don’t respect them, and occasionally lash out. From personal experience, bloods get grumpy just before, during and for a little while after shedding. I would give her more time before handling her again. Remember, you can’t FORCE a blood to accept handling. If she’s biting and twitching, then what she is telling you is that she would like to be left alone.

No disrespect to Vets intended.

08/04/09  09:43pm

Pythonpetey
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2051100

Montessa: How old is your Blood Python? Crunch was positively evil immediately after his shed until he passed 3’ in length. After that, he settled down considerably. He came very close to becoming a belt (he was too small for a pair of boots at the time). Crunch is always ravenous after a shed, so your Blood may have been in total munchy mode, and you were the only warm-blooded prey option around.

My advice - don’t handle when they are obviously twitchy and moody. I do not believe it is possible to "tame" a Blood by handling him/her during those mood swings. Just let them be for a day and love them from afar.

Crunch at the moment is deep in shed. I will put gloves on and use a hook to get him out of his enclosure to let him soak for a few minutes in a big tupperware tub full of warm water. He usually loves his baths, but I have learned to respect his discomfort and potential mood swings when deep in shed.

08/04/09  10:16pm

Montessa_Python
View Profile

Message To: Pythonpetey   In reference to Message Id: 2051113

She is still under or around 2 feet.
I did clean her tub and found a shed, so I am thinking that is it. AND I did feed 24 hours before hand.
So that explains alot!!
LOl
Carol

I am a veteran so I totally understand.LOL

08/05/09  07:33am

Python lover
View Profile

Message To: Montessa_Python   In reference to Message Id: 2051271

I’ve been handling bloods for some time now and of all my a snakes that one is the most aggressive. But i have never been bitten by any of them and i think it is because i have a lot of respect for them. When they were young i would put my hand in there tank and slowly move stuff around. Eventually they would stop wagging there tails and i would get closer. I’ve made sure to handle each one at least 45 mins a week and i believe that really helps good luck.

08/22/09  04:03pm

Cleverdv8tion
View Profile

Message To: Pythonpetey   In reference to Message Id: 2051113

after shed they are hungry. feed them as soon as they are willing to take a meal. then leave them alone for 48 hours. also, HOW are you picking it up and holding it. never just reach in fast and go for the head. always scoop them up in the middle. support the body well. check to see if she has a retained eye cap.

12/20/11  04:48am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area