Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

ShesCountry89   Snakey68   ShesCountry89   Snakey68   Mikeyp   ShesCountry89   Catfish_82   Big K   ShesCountry89   Catfish_82  
 Member  Message

ShesCountry89
View Profile

Interested in bloods :)

So I have grown incredibly interested in blood pythons, just looking to get some opinions on them from people. Like what size tank would be suitable for an adult, their temperments, which bloods are the best or most friend etc. :) Pictures are also very welcomed.

07/25/09  05:43pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: ShesCountry89   In reference to Message Id: 2045237

what snakes have you kept before if any ?

All your questions are answered on this page apart from which are the best as that sounds like a childrens question tbh lol

Have you even read any of the threads here ? It truly amazes me people dont even bother to read any threads for the most basic of information.

Have a read 1st then come back with something meaningful as there is tons of info and pics right under the thread you just started.

07/26/09  05:08am

ShesCountry89
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 2045462

Yes, I have two ball pythons and had two 9 foot red tail boas in the past.
I have gone through and read some of the other posts, I just thought i’d start another thread to talk to people myself about it. No need to be rude.

07/26/09  12:00pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: ShesCountry89   In reference to Message Id: 2045588

trust me that,s not rude its just common sense. I don,t mind helping people in fact I enjoy it and if you have read the threads you will see I do but those kind of questions are easily answered by a simple read through the threads.

07/26/09  01:14pm

Mikeyp
View Profile

Message To: ShesCountry89   In reference to Message Id: 2045237

hey country89, I’m glad you posted because this forum has to get more active. Even knowing a lot is already posted, the questions you have gets everyone more involved. As far as keeping the snakes I personally use tubs. I just drill holes in them which allows you to adjust the humidity. I keep my bloods at an ambient temp. in the upper 70s to low 80s. I also keep a hot spot with a UTH at around 90. Humidity 55-65% has worked great for me, and bump it up to the 70s just before and while in shed. Make sure you have hides on both hot side and cool side of the tub, it allows them to regulate their heat input and feel comfortable at the same time. Also there are plenty of care sheets online. I would check into VPI or NERD, they are very reputable breeders, and have kept and bred bloods/short tails for many years.

As far as temperaments based off of locality, I would say it depends on the INDIVIDUAL snake entirely and its background, as with all reptiles. It is definitely worth the extra money to go through a reputable breeder, if money is not a problem. Also making sure you have an idea on the snakes sire & dam, possible tempers may give an indication. I’ve personally bought a sumatran blood python (red) from NERD, and I just recently bought a black sumatran short tail python from someone off of kingsnake classifieds. My black was very nippy, but has tamed down a ton. The only thing I have heard is that malaysians tend to be more aggressive, I’ve never had one but have read and heard that from people. I think if you buy a fairly tame CB YOUNG blood, with the proper care and handling techniques it should make a wonderful pet.

Hope this helps!!

07/26/09  03:21pm

ShesCountry89
View Profile

Message To: Mikeyp   In reference to Message Id: 2045671

Hey mikey, thanks for replying :) So what size tubs do you keep your bloods in? I thought they got pretty big to keep them in there, or at least heavy. I’ve used tubs before, but right now both my snakes are in tanks until i get my rack built. As for money, it really isn’t a problem for me right now. I heard NERD was a good place to go, and that the reds were prone to being more friendly. But you are right, it’s the proper handling and care that makes a snake more friendly.

07/26/09  09:16pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: ShesCountry89   In reference to Message Id: 2045865

Most, well not most, but a lot of blood keepers that I know of, (myself included) keep theirs in tubs because they hold humidity really well. This is also the reason that custom enclosures, like animal plastics, are in such demand. Blood pythons have very specific humidity requirements, and when these are not met the snake is going to be in trouble. Bloods are "intermediate" snakes for this reason. They are not as forgiving of husbandry mistakes as ball pythons or corns or even boas are. Not only the humidity reason, younger bloods, and even older bloods like confined spaces. It helps them feel more secure. So one of the major factors of getting a young baby blood started is to give it almost cramped quarters. Blood pythons do get big, but it is more girth than length. Six feet is more or less your max for the taxon. Females will grow bigger than males. But bloods do get heavy, it is not uncommon for an adult female to weight 30 lbs or so. Bloods are also challanging in the aspect that they have a slower metabolism, that coupled with the fact that established captive specimens often have fantastic feeding responses, can make them prone to obesity. You walk a fine line. As far as temperament is concerned, I am absolutely convinced that breeding makes the difference with Bloods. Getting a captive bred specimen of any of the subspecies is what has the best chance of producing a well socialized animal. Bloods have only recently began experiencing an upsurge in popularity. As a result unscrupulous people have been either selling wild caught specimens as captive bred, or only wild caught were available. This has given the bloods a reputation of being mean, nasty, and unsatisfying as pets. However, nothing could be further from the truth. While it is true that SOME captive bred specimens can be temperamental, most of the captive born and raised bloods I’ve encountered are dog tame. Sorry for the rambling....I’m drunk.

07/27/09  11:35pm

Big K
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2046406

wow catfish...lol...thats well put drunk or not drunk.

07/28/09  07:32pm

ShesCountry89
View Profile

Message To: Big K   In reference to Message Id: 2046902

If you were drunk writing that catfish I give kudos to you, lol that helps me a lot. I am definatly aware of the humidity that bloods need, it’s even more than a ball python. What size tubs do you keep adults in, if you yourself have them? I am very interested in purchasing a blood at this coming reptile show august 1st so I am trying to cram as much information as i can! I have heard a lot about them being nasty in temperment but I do agree about the breeding and also the proper way to handle them.

07/29/09  05:15pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: ShesCountry89   In reference to Message Id: 2047427

Mine is sub adult. But for an adult I’d reccomend maybe a four foot by two foot enclosure. Most younger bloods you’ll encounter will be nippy and extra defensive. Its those people who are willing to take a few bites at first that usually wind up with the tamest bloods. I would take your time at the show and talk to the breeders there, maybe even email a few of them.

And lol, thanks didn’t plan on posting last night, but glad it helped.

07/29/09  07:12pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area