Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ZM NUPE   Snakey68   ZM NUPE   Snakey68   ZM NUPE   Snakey68   ZM NUPE   Cleverdv8tion  

Member  Message

ZM NUPE
View Profile

Question>>>>

I have had my blood for about 6mos. and after one shed she hasn’t eatenanymore, i try evey week but no go? good humidity, heat pad on one end, water, has not lost weight...is this common for bloods to just stop eating for a long/short period of time? thx

07/22/09  10:13am

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: ZM NUPE   In reference to Message Id: 2043284

Question>>>>

It is not uncommon for bloods to go without eating for extended periods at times, however for the most part Bloods are good eaters taking food every 10 days or so is normal or weekly if its a hatch ling or very young snake.

My adults do well on 1 rabbit a month or 1 jumbo rat every 10 days or so.

What age is your snake what is its history ? Has it been eating fine over the 6 month period you have had it ? What have you been feeding it? Is it a female or male and how old is it?

Usually after a shed they will readily take food so in this instance it is peculiar but there may be underlying reasons. There may be a health issue but before you go running to a vet you need to make sure all the basics are covered.

You say good humidity but what is your interpretation of good ? What kind of enclosure is it in , does it have hides ? Is the enclosure big enough or too big ? Is it in a place that has lots of traffic that could annoy or disturb it?

there are many things that can contribute so you need to answer my questions for a start so people here have more insight into what kind of set up you have and more history of the snake itself etc.

picture of the enclosure and snake would also be helpful if you can provide that.

Also what are you offering to it as food ?

07/22/09  01:33pm

ZM NUPE
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 2043358

Question>>>>

thx for reply: snake is about 1 1/2 ft. 80% humidity, rubbermaid sweaterbox 3x3, the snake was eating fine, med thawed hoppers, female about 6 mos., two hides., enclosures with my other three snakes is in a seperate bedroom-not alot of traffic-i live alone.

07/22/09  02:30pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: ZM NUPE   In reference to Message Id: 2043394

Question>>>>

Quote:

thx for reply: snake is about 1 1/2 ft. 80% humidity, rubbermaid sweaterbox 3x3, the snake was eating fine, med thawed hoppers, female about 6 mos., two hides., enclosures with my other three snakes is in a seperate bedroom-not alot of traffic-i live alone.

1stly your Humidity is way too high I would target 55 to 65% and only boost to 80% during shedding. What are your temps make sure these are not too high as well. Ambient temps should be around the 78 to 80 ish.

Get the humidity sorted out ASAP as it can put them off and can cause other issues. Once thats sorted out leave her for a couple of days to settle again and offer another rat and to further induce a feeding response I would warm the rat to room temp 1st and blast the head of the rat with a hair dryer for 30 seconds on the hottest setting then offer it to her on the tongs or just leave it for her to locate.

But dont sit and wait and watch her just give her it and leave the room and do this at night time.

With her being so young as well it is especially important to get the conditions correct or close to. The hair dryer method has worked several times for me over the 20 years I have been keeping and breeding my snakes Royals and Bloods.

Dont panic though it certainly is not at alarm stage yet and if she has been eating it means something is putting her off and I would hazzard a guess it will most likely be the humidity / husbandry.

Another thing you can try is get a small sho box and place her and the hopper in it after warming the it again. Leave her in it with the food for an hour or so.

Some people offer live then switch to pre-killed to get them feeding but I have never had to do that yet.

got to go out now I will check back later to see how you got on.

07/22/09  03:31pm

ZM NUPE
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 2043426

Question>>>>

snakey68 you da man! worked perfectly last night: lowered humidity and put her in a shoe box w f/t mouse and this morning, viola! thakx for the great advice! keep it up!

07/23/09  08:41am

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: ZM NUPE   In reference to Message Id: 2043814

Question>>>>

good glad to hear it went well.

One thing though I would get her on rats ASAP they smell different from Mice and your snake will grow out of mice very very quickly so try the rats as you can stay on them their whole life.

07/23/09  01:56pm

ZM NUPE
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 2044040

Question>>>>

ok will do! thx again!

07/23/09  05:31pm

Cleverdv8tion
View Profile

Message To: ZM NUPE   In reference to Message Id: 2044128

Question>>>>

hoppers seem a bit small for the snake as well. try rats a little bigger. keep humidity and temp in check as well as make sure there is a water bowl for drinking, and a soaking bowl as well.

12/20/11  04:36am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area