Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Big K   Catfish_82   Mikeyp   Python lover  
 Member  Message

Big K
View Profile

Aspen shavings for substrate???

anybody use aspen shavings for substrate for there bloods, i use it for my tegu and holds humidity great and i think its cleaner and looks better then cypress mulch, so i was just wondering if there is any reason not to use it for my blood who is coming Tuesday. (its also easier for the animal to burrow in cause it doesn’t get patted down and clump like the cypress does)

07/10/09  09:23pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Big K   In reference to Message Id: 2037451

Aspen will work for bloods. Most like to bury themselves from time to time anyways. However, what I think you’re gonna find is that bloods can be messy, and that aspen can sometimes hide their leavings. Not their major bowel movements mind you, those are impossible to miss. Just from time to time they’ll leave small amounts of pee or urates that are hard to find. Most keepers that I know, myself inclued, have experiemented with aspen at one point in time only to turn to newspaper. It’s a heck of a lot easier. But to each his own.

07/12/09  07:28pm

Mikeyp
View Profile

Message To: Catfish_82   In reference to Message Id: 2038220

I have always used newspaper until recently. I bought some of the aspen and so far I like it, but I definitely agree with catfish that it will be harder to tell when my snakes urate. On the other hand it does look nicer, and Carnage definitely loves it, he thinks he is extremely sneaky now. If you change it when its soiled there should be no problems. Good luck!!

07/13/09  12:30pm

Python lover
View Profile

Message To: Big K   In reference to Message Id: 2037451

I have 20 snakes all of which i use aspen i love it. It looks a lot nicer then newspaper and gives the snake a little cushion to lay on. Cleaning it is not a problem especially if your like me and am poking around in your tank daily.

08/22/09  04:07pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area