Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Mikeyp   Catfish_82   Todd St.Clair  
 Member  Message

Mikeyp
View Profile

Taming tricks

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good ways besides regular handling to calm/tame a blood. I’m looking to purchase another one, and most of them I come across seem to be really nippy/pissy. Any ideas or tricks anyone has used I would love hear about them. Thanks!!

06/13/09  04:46pm

Catfish_82
View Profile

Message To: Mikeyp   In reference to Message Id: 2021705

Taming tricks

Mikey, snakes we must remember are wild animals after all. At best they will tolerate being handled and nothing more. A snake is never going to be glad to see you. It’s simply going to recognize that you’re not out to kill it. In that respect, breeding has everything to do with it. It isn’t so much that there is a ’trick’ to taming bloods or any snake for that matter, its an issue of time and breeding. Getting a blood from a reputable breeder who has quality captive bred stock as well as giving the snakes their time (not ours) to adjust is what produces a tame blood. I wish there was more to it, but thats it. An aggressive blood needs time, sometimes even years, to realize that you are not a threat, and therefore not worth biting.

06/27/09  11:41pm

Todd St.Clair
View Profile

Message To: Mikeyp   In reference to Message Id: 2021705

Taming tricks

The previous post was good, and true. My experience is to ware a heavy glove and go strait into the head area and very nicely touch him on the head. They normally back off and know that you are not food and are not a treat. I have never been bit doing this. although I normally do this with adults that I am not familiar with. when you go into reach for them don’t hesitate most of the time when I see my buddies get nailed it’s because they go in slow. good luck, just keep getting it and messing with it, it will get better.

09/27/09  08:28pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area