Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Savkeeper   Savkeeper   Chris78   Savkeeper   Savkeeper   Snakey68   Chris78   Savkeeper   Chris78   Chris78  
 Member  Message

Savkeeper
View Profile

Baby blood

well guys im still trying to decide on one. if i get one i will be getting him from bob clark. i was just making sure i got my info right on them.

the cage i will be providing will be a tank( yes sadly it will but of course with plexyglass covering up about 75-80 percent of it.

i will put a small layer of cyprus mulch on the bottom with a layer of moss on top of that. i will give a nice bowl for soaking and also maybe a humid hide. bob was telling me use some heat tape but i dont know if i put it all the way around the cage or on one side. any ideas and also how does this work i have never used it before. any more ideas? i will be a 10 gallon just for a few weeks before i pick up the new one. i will also start him out on rat pups so he doesnt have to get used to something different from mice to rats.

10/28/06  09:08pm

Savkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Savkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1039735

Baby blood

bump

10/29/06  11:02am

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Savkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1040278

Baby blood

Put the heat tape on the designated hot side. Keep a hide on the hot side and cool side so he can thermo-regulate. Good luck with those glass tanks, theyíre a royal pain in the hind end.

10/29/06  07:15pm

Savkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1040791

Baby blood

thanks, well i might be able to have a good humidity level for him but it would be tricky. for humidity level would about 80% be good? what would a good house besides a tank be? and also for the tape what is it called and where could it be purchased?

10/29/06  08:47pm

Savkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Savkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1040943

Baby blood

also i was reading the do you think i should get a blood post and i was seeing that the can be nippy but with handling the will be fine. i was wondering what you think about my experince if i have enough.

i have owned a corn ( but escaped)
my first were just like common garter snakes
and have had some rough green snakes
i work at a pet store and all the reptiles are extremly well cared for
i sware me and my partner do more store use stuff than all out buy or sale to individuals. they are extremly well taken care of
i also have had a savannah monitor
right now i have a tegu that is very well taken care of. it has grown more than a foot and a half in the 3 months i have had him. he eats everyday and gets a bath once a week. he eats 2 frozen adults a day. so is the proper size for how old he is.

what do you think?

10/29/06  10:06pm

Snakey68
View Profile

Message To: Savkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1041084

Baby blood

you have some varied experience and thats good but IMO you would be better getting an easier python to deal with 1st to get used to providing the right environments accurately and consistently.

A Royal (Ball) Python would be a good start I think for an introduction to pythons then think about Bloods further down the line in a couple of years.

Of course some people have jumped right into keeping bloods with success and I am not saying you cant but my opinion is as above, take your time learn what you can, Bloods are animals that benefit from exact humidity and temps and its better you get experience with easier species in preparation IMO.

10/30/06  07:33am

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Snakey68   In reference to Message Id: 1041436

Baby blood

Yeah, Iíd agree with Snakey actually looking at your record. Itís very diverse, and Iím sure you take care of all your animals very well, but bloods are an intermediate python species. I jumped right into them, and got lucky that my blood didnít get an R.I. while I was still trying to get all my temps and humidity steady.

Many people come in here after owning a few colubrids or a ball for 3 months and want a blood. This is a very bad move imo, and I usually convince them to look into brbís or rtbís. Usually works out for them pretty well.

Oh, and this isnít to you SavKeeper, but just while Iím ranting:

If anyone comes in here, with little to no previous experience, and no idea on what the care requirements are on a blood, but still has to have one. Youíre going to get an unpleasant response.

Again, that wasnít at you Sav, Iím just in the mood for a good rant.

10/30/06  08:47am

Savkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1041487

Baby blood

thanks, well i understand. i have owned a ball i forgot to name it off but my parents wernt cool with the snakes so i had to get rid of him, but now that they are letting me get one i was wondeirng about them. at the my work (pet store) i have had an amazing sucess with the brb. before i worked there they had like 2 others and died but when we got another and i was working there. i blocked off most of the screen that was in the back with a big piece of plastic and put moss in there and it kept a stable 70-80% when i was working, so i mean i know i can keep humidity well and i think that it would do well. so you still think maybe not get one?

10/30/06  04:42pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Savkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1041923

Baby blood

Why donít you look at the nerd care sheet and get back to us. Also, why cant you use a rubbermaid instead of a tank?

10/30/06  07:38pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1042173

Baby blood

Also, if theres any chance of youíre parents making you get rid of this snake, donít do it. Youíre going to be spending around $400 on a suitable enclosure.

10/30/06  07:39pm

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area