Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum

Skink guy1212   Chris78   CentralMayhem   Snakeman64   Chris78  
 Member  Message

Skink guy1212
View Profile

40 gallon

could a pair or one blood stay in a 40 gallon when it is a baby.

10/20/06  05:31pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Skink guy1212   In reference to Message Id: 1029571

40 gallon

I hope youíre not thinking of keeping a blood in an aquarium? Aquariums are for fish.

10/20/06  06:22pm

CentralMayhem
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1029642

40 gallon

for juveniles id say that it is a bit large but if you have a lot of hides you might be ok. as far as the people in this section of the forum go aquariums are not the ideal set up. i admit that i used a 10 gallon for almost 3 months and just recently updated to a more reliable and accomodating rubbermaid container. aquariums are harder to control your humidity levels which are so important to the bloods and people want to see them cared for properly so they dont recommend them. i used a towel to completely cover the top of my aquarium and the humidity was not a problem for me. basically everyone here will tell you to do your research BEFORE you buy your snake and they all have their preferences. most dont use aquariums but i can attest to the fact that you can get away with them for the time being if you are making 100% sure every parameter is spot on. at least you are doing some homework and asking questions.

10/20/06  08:44pm

Snakeman64
View Profile

Message To: Skink guy1212   In reference to Message Id: 1029571

40 gallon

its a bit big for a couple of reasons one the humidity is going to be harder to control but not impossible. throw the screen cover away and measure the top opening and get a piece of peg board cut to fit. use an undertank heater with a water bowl half on the heater and half off. i wouldnt worry too much about hides if they are babies. do yourself a favor and put orchid bark on the bottom of the tank as a substrate. yea yea yea newspaper is easier but there is a reason for the bark. it needs to be misted once everyday with warm water. on top of the bark i would use sheet moss and pick spots through out the tank and mist that till it drips alittle and ive found that my young bloods will root in the orchid bark under the moss and hide there. when they get bigger they may use a hide box but mine didnt honestly. yes its harder to maintain, but i feel the closer i can make the habitat to their real habitat the healthier the snake will be and so far mine have done great. yes totes are easier... when mine get mid size i put them in 91 gallon clear plastic rubbermaid totes modified with a 12x16 window in the lid. only because the extra size and ease of cleaning it and mostly for the cost they are 9.00 each they have locking lids and are semi clear you can see your snakes through them. the demensions are 13 in wide 34 in long and 14 inches high when they get too big for the totes they go into custom cages. ten gallon tanks are what i started out with ...good luck

11/29/06  07:18am

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Snakeman64   In reference to Message Id: 1076871

40 gallon

When using an undertank heater or flexwatt, always remember to put a nice thermostat under there, such as a Ranco or Johnson. Iíve had pretty good success with a simple set up. Indented kraft paper as the substrate, a water bowl, and a hide spot.

11/29/06  08:43am

Back to Pythons-Blood and Short Tail Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area