Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Product Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Product Information Forum

Edf   Addicted  
 Member  Message

Edf
View Profile

Whats the difference....

what is the difference between a rheostat and a thermostat? This really may seem like a dumb question, but I donít understand the difference.

Why I am asking: I need to use something to control my heat pad for my RT boa.

I do have a thermostat, Big Apple brand, and I use it for my ball pythons UTH. it keeps the Temp at my set temperature and I am very happy with its performance. I am purchasing a Kane heat mat, and from what I read on several forums you need to have something to control the heat mat ( I was planning on doing that anyway, I always over worry about anything that could go wrong.) So, some one on another forum said to use a rheostat, and another person said to use a thermostat. From what I could tell, a rheostat lets you chose between a low setting, medium setting, and a hotter setting, whereas a thermostat lets you pick the actual temperature degree to keep it at. Am I correct?

I would prefer to use a thermostat since I am familiar with them and can set the actual temp degree. I did buy a rheostat by accident today, so I can hold off on returning it, but I am going to buy a thermostat. I can get use out if it if I need to use the rheostat.

I am just wondering what the difference is if I didnít nail it.

thanx a bunch in advance!
:D

edf

11/25/06  06:08pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Edf   In reference to Message Id: 1072688

Whats the difference....

A rheostat works like a dimmer switch for a light,you set it at a constant and it stays there.A thermostat will regulate the temperature to the desired setting.

12/21/06  12:15am

Back to Product Information Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area