Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Problems-Complaints Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Problems-Complaints Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Psyblaze16   ARENEPEZ   Rokdog   Psyblaze16   Rokdog   Psyblaze16  

Member  Message

Psyblaze16
View Profile

I want to rant and have someone who understands...

Hello. I work in a pet store because I needed money for college. I tried to find a job at a shelter but they were all not for profit and don’t hire people. So I went to the pet store and found out that it was very good. Very rarely do we have a sick animal and when we do it gets medical treatment. We use carefresh bedding, fresh fruits and veggies everyday for the animals that need them, socialize, screen people before we give them an animal, ect. We do not sell dogs or cats but support rescues and have someone come in every weekend. The people that work with me in animal care are very knowledgeable about the animals we have. And I’m not talking about outdated information, I’m talking about we have some of these as pets and have done our research. The only thing is the smaller cage size that is only supposed to be temporary. The people that come in to this store drive me crazy. Lets start with the small animals. Let me tell you there are A LOT of people that don’t know rabbits and guinea pigs need hay, reptiles need UVB lights, fish cannot be put in bowls, and birds need fresh fruits and veggies. This isn’t even the tip of the iceberg. I had one lady and one kid who came in recently who I nearly begged to take there leopard geckos off the calcium sand. You know what? They wouldn’t because newspaper or repticarpet didn’t look as nice. How about the people that let there kids bring home turtles and frogs and then get angry with me because I say put it back. When I show them what they would need they get even more upset because it is "so expensive". One lady came in and yelled at my friend because I gave a chinchilla hay. Really? Someone else got mad because I wouldn’t give them a parakeet. The reason was that they could only afford a tiny twelve dollar cage and wanted to stuff it in there. They wouldn’t cough up the money for a bigger one. Oh, and don’t ever mention the word "vet" because people will automatically start to tune you out. I guess the animals are not worth it. I’m sorry this is long. But it makes me mad that there are so many people that don’t know and whats worse is they don’t care! Thats what makes me mad. Its one thing not to know but when you just dont care it horrible. I take good care of those animals, I have done the research. Too often I have to take crap because I cant stand one of our animals going home to die. I just wanted someone to listen. Thank you.

01/05/13  01:21am

ARENEPEZ
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2288900

hi im trying to figure out a way to explain my point of view or my opinion if you will without causing upset because im not trying to cause an arguement now here’s what i want to say i agree with what your saying people should never keep wild caught pets period and people should buy the correct type of substrate and enclosure however i personally won’t buy 99% of my pet supplies from any pet store because 99% of the time it cost way more then other places such as Walmart for the same item im mainly referring to my pet stores which are Petsmart and Petco they overcharge for pretty much everything but the pet and even the pet prices are double or more then double the price compared to ordering from places like Bhb reptiles or lll reptile also 99% if not all the people who work there don’t know squat about the pets they sell or they pretend to and tell people the wrong information i don’t like it when they try and force me to buy their overpriced items when i buy an animal from them so i tell them i already have everything i need in most cases i do so im not lying but if i need one thing that i really don’t have believe me that’s the last place im buying it sorry if what i said seemed mean that wasn’t my intentions
Amanda

01/05/13  02:27am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288903

maybe its time to start "screening" procedures for every animal, big or small from Guppies too Great Danes
at Pet stores as to potential "keepers" knowledge & capability to care for them
it would sure reduce "impulse buying" of animals

01/05/13  09:30am

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: ARENEPEZ   In reference to Message Id: 2288903

That’s OK Amanda. I don’t take offense at that and I’m sorry that the people in the pet stores near you are so unknowing. What I was getting at were the people who don’t bother to do any research on the animals they want and then cant be bothered to spend the money to properly afford it. Lets say someone needs a bearded dragon, you NEED a UVB and Heat lights as well as a good sized cage. I don’t care where you get it as long as you have it. Animals are not cheap and many people don’t realize that. And we do do our best to screen people that come into buy animals. I am good at talking them out of it if I think the animal is in danger. I am sure a lot of people lie though...

01/05/13  12:49pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Psyblaze16   In reference to Message Id: 2288927

I’m not talking about a conversational screening, I’m talking about a in store written test
screening in a "keeper adoption room" with a 48 hour wait as to determination if applicant passes
& are deemed a worthy/qualified as a keeper to the particular animal applied for....

01/05/13  01:25pm

Psyblaze16
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2288930

That would be great but if we did that then everyone would have to do it. If someone didn’t want to do that then they would just go somewhere else and get the animal. Its the same problem just moved around. Also I don’t think the cooperate people would approve. That’s the problem, too many people are worried about money. I don’t have enough power to do something like that unfortunately. :(

01/05/13  09:31pm

Back to Problems-Complaints Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area