Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Polls Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Polls Forum

Howie_luvs_mango   Yellowfang   Oboepet   Derick   Edwin Talavera   Douglas-n.c.  
 Member  Message

Howie_luvs_mango
View Profile

My iguana

i have a problem and i donít know what to do Iíve neglected my iguana for a while and someone told me lettuce was very healthy for it so thatís all ive been feeding him for about 6 months along with some hibiscus well i found out that lettuce isnít healthy at all and hes now very unhealthy :( Ive been putting him back on his usual diet that i used to but is there a chance that he will get healthy again? please answer

08/13/05  08:14pm

Yellowfang
View Profile

Message To: Howie_luvs_mango   In reference to Message Id: 440501

My iguana

Id say if you played your cards right I think he will. Just give him a huge varitity of veggys. And make sure you get some vitimins. Id get some 2 put on his food then I used to have some where you fill the tub with like 2 inches of water and put this stuff in it (other kinda vitimens) So give him a bath in that!!! about once a week. Hope this helps.

Yellowfang

08/20/05  08:51pm

Oboepet
View Profile

My iguana

lettuce has absolutely no nutritional value, cantoloupe,zucchini,and collard greens are an ideal diet.

09/10/05  03:17pm

Derick
View Profile

Message To: Oboepet   In reference to Message Id: 474033

My iguana

there reptiles they don eat lettuce in da wild so itís not healthy sorry itís not fellin good talk 2 u later

09/15/05  04:44pm

Edwin Talavera
View Profile

Message To: Derick   In reference to Message Id: 479649

My iguana

I have a 5 foot iguana I give him lettuce as a snack item but I feed him crickets and cocaroches I also give him mixed veggies that inculed carrots zucinni cucombers and lettuce also try giving him a peace of furit like a slice of apple or a strawberry they have lots of vitamins and take him a bath in worm water for proper shedding just soak him in a small tube. He should be fine if u play your cards rite.also nerd has caresheets just look under dite to see other foods u can use.

04/09/06  11:02pm

Douglas-n.c.
View Profile

My iguana

a late reply but maybe can help others.romaine lettuce is the only type of lettuce thats healthy at all for an iggie. best foods are collard greens, turnip greens,parcley sweet potatos, yams, green and yellow bell peppers green beans ,carrots,fruits without seeds or tiny seeds such as strawbarries blue barries and black barries...theres other fruits and vedgies but these are the ones i feed mine. collard greens are most important as they supply the best calcium for iggies and if hes not getting his calcium he well come down with mbd (metabbolic bone diease)which renders ther limbs too weak to use and finally death.if caught in time it can be reversed. liquid calcium and vitiams for there food witch should have electrolytes in to help fight off dehydration. keeping the living quarters extra warm will help too during this time im told.say mid 90 dregrees during day and upper 70s at night. iguanas have air tight skin so those spray on vitamins are a waste of money. warm baths give iggie a chance to drink some and poe if needed... also aids sheading skin..you do have a good 5% or better uvb light your useing to help iggie digest his food into the needed calcium he needs ...dont you? if your iggy has mbd these things ive mentioned may well help turn it around....its the most common health problem with iggies and a good diet and uvb light is all thats needed to prevent this. one more thing... dont feed iggies worms bugs or any animal proteens....greens only! causes liver diease and they die younger.. good luck

01/31/09  10:40pm

Back to Polls Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area