Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Questionauthority   HerpGirl   Questionauthority   HerpGirl   Dragon77   TutThePlatedLizard   Codybooboo   Monkey/dude   Coolguy132435   Desob92   Plated19   Mdf   Plated19   Mdf  
 Member  Message

Questionauthority
View Profile

Yellow-throated plated lizard questions

i am new here. i am 14, and only have one reptile(fan-footed gecko), but i am getting a yellow throated plated lizard in the summer. i was wondering if there is anything important i should know about them before i get them, other than the basic info. i was wondering if anyone here who owns one could tell me how they are for pets. also, of all the research ive done, no website has stated the substrate i should use. anyone know? thanx

04/25/05  01:40pm

HerpGirl
View Profile

Message To: Questionauthority   In reference to Message Id: 322343

Hey, Ive got a yellow throat. Hes a real nice lizard. They get really big, (up to 4 feet) so you will have to build him a custom cage eventually. I use a substrate of CalciSand mixed with potting soil. Give him 4 inches of substrate because they burry themselves. Make sure hes got a cave, moving water, and a basking spot of about 95 degrees. Feed him dusted crickets and waxworms.

Their temperment is amazing. His tank was cracked so I had him live with two golden geckos for a while so I could set up a new tank, and the three of them got along great. He likes people, and seems to like being handled. They love to sit on the highest point, so dont be surprised if he crawls on top of your head.

Good luck <3

04/30/05  01:52pm

Questionauthority
View Profile

Message To: HerpGirl   In reference to Message Id: 328506

hey thanx. ive heard they are mostly wild caught. would i need a vet checkup? did you? how long have you had yours? my brother says i should get something other than a plated because of them being wild caught, but i fell in love with them the first time i saw a pic of one. what would you suggest?

05/10/05  01:29pm

HerpGirl
View Profile

Message To: Questionauthority   In reference to Message Id: 338141

Im not sure about them being wild caught... I know that mine is captive bred. Ive had mine since January, and I havent taken him to a vet. (The breeder had him checked out before I bought him). If you get one, make sure he is captive bred.

05/28/05  06:15pm

Dragon77
View Profile

Message To: HerpGirl   In reference to Message Id: 328506

HerpGirl, I think youre just a bit off on the size issue - they dont get more than ~24". You may be mixing them up with a monitor type.

--- Dragon77

08/22/05  06:03pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: Dragon77   In reference to Message Id: 451374

definately off on the size part, they can get up to mebbe 3ft MAX and most of that is from their tail. ginat plateys can get pretty big, but not the yellow-throats. for substrate i just use regular sandbox sand (easily aquired). y-t plateys are great pets. mine is a total sweetheart and they seem to be very big on bonding. as for a hiding spot, me and my dad cut a terra cotta pot in half and then made an opening on the corner where the bottom of the pot would normally be. he slides in and out quite easily and treats his "room" quite well. he sleeps there at night and has yet to use the bathroom in it, ery smart lizard species if u ask me. herpgirl is definately right bout the height thing, they love to be high. mine crawls up my ponytail to the top of my head and if im in the shower with him (very good when they are shedding) i sit in the tub and he sits on my knee and sleeps. he loves showers!

08/22/05  10:38pm

Codybooboo
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 451702

not to be rude but they only get 16 -24 inches.

04/22/06  03:05pm

Monkey/dude
View Profile

Message To: Questionauthority   In reference to Message Id: 338141

do you now anything about yellow throated plated lizard because ares is not eating we’ve trid cricket meal worms and fruit and romain lettus but he won’t eat do you have anything to help us we have only had him for 2 weeks he might have ate one meal worm. does he need a heating light?

02/02/08  10:58pm

Coolguy132435
View Profile

Message To: Monkey/dude   In reference to Message Id: 1606831

the typically rech a max of 18 inches(smaller than several other species such as sudan plated and giant plated which can grow up to 30 inches)

02/09/08  08:52pm

Desob92
View Profile

Message To: Questionauthority   In reference to Message Id: 322343

very good pets thay like it when you pet there head lol

06/26/09  10:42pm

Plated19
View Profile

Message To: Dragon77   In reference to Message Id: 451374

Hi sorry to bug you guys. i have a yellow throated plated and its tempermant is everything but what is described everywhere he goes balistic when i try to get him out no matter which way i go about it. when i finally get him out he sits there frozen. i can barely go half an hour without him filling his water bowl with sand. Any ideas at all? could it be that he is in a terrarium which is making him nervous? i really dont wanna get rid of him. i have ordered a wood vivarium do you think that will help? please get back to me soon thanks

12/30/10  02:49pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Plated19   In reference to Message Id: 2195211

What’s your hiding places like in the viv? mine spend most of their time hiding & go crazy at feeding time, sounds like he may be nervous from you paying to much attention to him.

Mine freeze up when their nervous close their eyes , as long as your temps are right etc & your vivs got good hiding places it’s just a matter of giving them time to adjust, i expext to have mine sat on my hands in the next 2/3 months, that will be a good few months after i got them!

post pics of viv if your unsure! care sheets>
Click Here

good luck

12/30/10  03:34pm

Plated19
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2195225

well he has a cave and does a lot of burrowing. this one does not go crazy till you put your hand in the cage or simply walk by. yeah well my new viv is getting picked up and once i have a heat mat big enough he can go in there fgor more space.

2-3 months? well thats much different to the one week that the pet shop guy said. do you think i should leave him alone or do you think i should handle him like twice or once a week while i clean out the cage?
thanks much appreciated

01/01/11  07:04am

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Plated19   In reference to Message Id: 2195546

Handle as little as possible & gain their trust, you need to tong feed them carefully so they associate you with feeding rather than a predator that might eat them, correct taming takes time, force handing will tame them but you’ll stress your captive in the process!!

good luck!

01/01/11  03:39pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area