Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

EckleyChick   Nile/water monitors   EckleyChick   Nile/water monitors   Mdf   EckleyChick   Mdf   EckleyChick   EckleyChick   EckleyChick   Nile/water monitors   Mdf   EckleyChick   Nile/water monitors   EckleyChick  
 Member  Message

EckleyChick
View Profile

Worried about my platey

I am very worried about our plated lizard. We have been keeping up with the temperature in his cage since we got him a month ago. He’s getting crickets every other day and fruits and veggies the rest of the time. He gets fresh water every day. He’s getting UVB light. When I went to check yesterday, he was under his log with his eyes closed. I moved the log to pick him up and he was cold and stiff. Next thing I knew, his eyes flew open and he jumped out of my hand and ran under his rock. This morning, I turned his night light off and turned on the UVB and heat light on. He was laying in the back of his cage cold and stiff again. I picked him up and once again his eyes flew open and he bolted. This afternoon, he ate four crickets and went back to sleep. I don’t know if he’s sick or if this is normal behavior. Can anyone offer any advice?

04/21/11  04:22pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2215419

Worried about my platey

Well I’v never kept a plated but it sounds like you may be having trouble with your substrate temp.. I’v found that all the basking/ambient and low end temp.s can be spot on and the substrate way too cold, this was due to the enclosure being on the floor of my reptile room, this allowed the substrate temp.s to be leached out and become dangerously cold. If your enclosure allows room ambient temp. to circulate all the way around it then I would question the temp. in the room you keep your enclosure. If its natural for a plated to look for a cool spot to sleep???? Hopefully an experienced keeper will jump in to offer advice?? You may want to get a temp. reading on your substrate and post the findings.

04/22/11  09:33am

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2215506

Worried about my platey

Stupid question but how would I measure the temperature of the substrate? I don’t know if I posted this in my original post but we have an undertank heater on his cage, too. We switched from sani-chips to coconut husks (or something like that) and that’s when the weird behaviour started.

04/26/11  12:06pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2216021

Worried about my platey

A very helpful tool that I use is the lazer temp. gun( $40.-60. at Harbour freight), gives instant surface temp. readings. you could even dig down into the substrate and see just what the temp.s area underneath the substrate surface. You can get accurate surface temp. readings on your basking spot and even surface temp. reading on your Plated lizard, just remember not to point the laser light in the lizards eyes. Alot of keepers are using earth dirt and sand mix now-a-days. 3/4 dirt to 1/4 sand is what I use. If you have your Plated in a fish tank with a screen top you will lose your humidity and heat through evaperation. The best enclosures are built like a box with a solid top and a glass slidding door on the front wall.

04/26/11  01:21pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2216021

Worried about my platey

Chris has given you some sound advice, this is a temp gun>

this was left on 24hours to keep the substrate heated in one area on the outside of the viv>

Their temps were around 86f day time & around 80f night time, with 60/70% humidity, it is important that the substrate is heated correctly & the ambient temps, the heat mats creates warm soiled areas between 80/90f.

soil mix as Chris has advised! :)

04/27/11  04:51pm

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2216221

Worried about my platey

I finally took her to the vet yesterday. In the course of the visit, we found out that he is actually a she. The vendor had told us she was a male. The vet said that it sounds like her temperatures might be about 10 degrees to high for her. She said that we needed to get rid of the coconut husk bedding and go with Repti-Carpet. She also thinks she may have intestinal parasites. She’s only gained 0.2 ounces in 6 weeks. They gave her the first two doses of medicines at the office and sent the rest home with us to give to her. The nurse couldn’t even pry her mouth open with a spatula but, though it still wasn’t easy, she took it better from my son. Being flipped and tugged on wore her out. They put her on a heating pad and she passed out cold. Her little sides were heaving.

04/28/11  11:41am

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2216325

Worried about my platey

Good luck with her! :)

04/28/11  03:32pm

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2216375

Update on Cuddles

We have changed out her substrate to the Repti-carpet. I bought an inline light dimmer to try to keep the temp in her cage down to where it needs to be. She doesn’t seem to be hiding as much and she’s staying out in the open basking. She’s still sleeping quite a bit. My son put her medicine on her superworms last night so he didn’t have to try to pry her mouth open. She ate seven of them so I’m hoping that’s a good sign. I’m not so sure how I felt about the vet, though. Maybe it’s just me but I guess I expected someone a little more sympathetic. I got emotional, afraid that whatever was wrong with Cuddles could kill her and she looked at me like I was nuts. I love all of my pets!

04/29/11  10:22am

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2216476

Update on Cuddles

After taking a sample to the vet, we found out that the antibiotic that she was originally given didn’t get rid of the pinworms, hookworms, and the other parasite that she has. She is now on a new antibiotic that she has to have every day for the next three weeks. She must be feeling better because she’s fighting us over the medicine like crazy. She’s also much more active. If we (as in we humans) can make it through the next three weeks, I’ll be amazed!

05/04/11  11:45am

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2217283

Update on Cuddles

This is Cuddles after she got her medicine. She crawled up under my hair trying to hide.

05/04/11  11:55am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2217290

Update on Cuddles

Very cute little monster. Poor thing, alot of wild caught animals sold at pet stores have parasites. She is worth the extra effort on your part. Check out some of the older MDF threads, lot of interesting stuff that may be a help with trust building with your plated.

Chris.......

05/04/11  08:07pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2217372

Update on Cuddles

I treated these little cute critters like the new sav care sheets, 12" of sandy soil (6" would do) humidity 60/65% with a ambient day temps of around 85/90f & basking spot 120/130f, nighttime 80f, remember if it gets to hot at 85/90 they’ll dig down into the substrate.

& they went like lightning!!

stress is the big issue for them incorrect temps & hides etc & that medicine will stress them, but at the end of the day sometimes they need it!! :)

05/07/11  03:31pm

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2217855

Update on Cuddles

I am at a total loss as to how to get the medicine down her. She won’t eat anything that has the medicine on it or in it. Worms, applesauce, she won’t touch them. I can’t pry her mouth open and she’s starting to lose scales around her mouth from where I have tried. I don’t know what to do. The temp in my son’s room is jumping around and even with the inline dimmer, I check the temp and it’s climbed up to 91. The vet told us that 85 should be the highest. I will admit right now that everytime I try to give her the meds, I end up in tears. I’m afraid we’ll lose her and it’ll be my fault because I just can’t hurt her. As you can probably tell, I get extremely emotional over my animals, I apologize.

05/07/11  08:13pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: EckleyChick   In reference to Message Id: 2217891

Update on Cuddles

How are you trying forcing her to take her med.s? Some reptiles will lick it off the mouth, a drop on the tip of her nose and she might just lick it off? Another way is a small plastic eyedropper. How are you measuring her temp.s?

05/08/11  05:18pm

EckleyChick
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2218036

Update on Cuddles

I bought a soft plastic spatula that I used to pry her mouth open. At first, we were putting the dose on a superworm but she caught on and stopped eating them. We tried putting it around her mouth on Thursday and it worked, for the most part. Friday night, she wouldn’t stick out her tongue. She liked applesauce until I mixed in the meds. The girl is too smart. I’ve been measuring her temps with a digital thermometer placed on her level in the cage.

05/08/11  06:38pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area