Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Mdf   Nile/water monitors   Mdf  
 Member  Message

Mdf
View Profile

Vid hunting clips

Just loaded this last night, about 1hour of film crammed into just over a minute, some of the action i’ve missed due to me not allowing for a few extra seconds of film when the film clips were merged together, hope you enjoy! :)

02/27/11  02:52pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2207204

Vid hunting clips

NICE!!
They looked healthy,non-stressed and very willing to act natural. As always, nice job mark! I do have a couple Q’s for you, what is that little guy at 24 seconds into the vid? and at 117 seconds, is that dominance being displayed?

Chris........

03/01/11  09:03am

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2207561

Vid hunting clips

Chris that little guy/girl is my night time hoover, clears up all the escaped crickets in theory & i’ve had that feeding off my hand this morning!

Notice the night house gecko was coming out at the plated feeding time, got him/her feeding off the wall a few days ago, then off tongs & this am off my hand!

Yes there’s a strict pecking order in there, the one chasing is the dominant lizard & is always out for feeding, so they have to be tong feed on & off to make sure their all getting enough food.

There’s 2 & a 1 in the male/female ratio, i just don’t know which way round, the one with the thicker set body & skull gets on with both of the smaller pointed face ones, but the pointed face ones don’t get one. Maybe the females are slightly larger than the males in order to carry the eggs, or maybe the smaller pointy faces ones are female competing for food & nesting ground??

maybe i’ll have to wait for the head to change colour! :)

03/01/11  03:56pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area