Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

IguanaRama   Mdf   IguanaRama   Mdf   Rokdog   IguanaRama  
 Member  Message

IguanaRama
View Profile

Concern

So I let my plated settle for a bit with a hide away box before I decided to touch it or anything and oddly it’s very calm and I reached in and I pet his back and it seems to just sit there and not get all fidgety or nervous which I thought was odd for a new reptile in a new environment. I generally leave them be for a week and a half to two weeks but I wanted to check the general health of the it. I noticed that it doesn’t use it’s back legs really when it moves around the cage it slithers around with it’s back legs to it’s sides. I was wondering if this is normal for when they move around or is that bad? I tried to pick it up just to see what it’s back legs would do and it seems to use them but for walking it doesn’t I tried looking it up but it appears that there isn’t a lot of info on these little guys on the internet. I have to pick up a uvb light for him but I’m wondering if petco even used one for it either. So! anyways I was just wondering if I should be making a vet appointment for anything other than a check up as I usually do this for all reptiles i get from petco to check for parasites and other health issues that occur with petco pets.

02/13/11  03:50pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2204719

Concern

A bit like this?

02/13/11  05:11pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2204729

Concern

He doesn’t even move his back legs they just stay flat on his sides and he just uses his front legs when he’s in the cage I’m assuming it’s a he for the time being.

02/13/11  05:21pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2204733

Concern

Mine all slide around as you describe, but they don’t do it constantly, they can run & slide around very fast!

All i can suggest is check youtube out & see if yours are similar to plated lizards on there. :)

02/14/11  05:12pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2204943

Concern

had a young Water Dragon(6 months old) like that and it was the onset of MBD.
She quiclky recovered in 6 weeks after installing a good MVB(mercury vapor bulb)
with good UVB output

02/14/11  09:14pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2204986

Concern

I was wondering if it was MBD I’ve been supplementing his food with some herp muti - vitamins and a pure calcium supplement alternating days and I’ll be getting a UBV light soon I ordered a bunch of news ones cuz all of my reptiles need a change out for their bulbs. I looked on youtube and didn’t see much of what I’m describing I dug him out from his substrate today because I haven’t seen much of him since I got his cage set up and it worried me but he seems to do half and half with the walking and slithering. He also hasn’t ate much but I’ll chalk that up to being in a new environment or perhaps he’s a picky eater any suggestions other than the leafy greens occasional fruit and crickets and mealies?

02/14/11  11:29pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area