Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

IguanaRama   Mdf   Mdf   IguanaRama   Glennbaggs   IguanaRama   Glennbaggs   IguanaRama   Mdf   IguanaRama  
 Member  Message

IguanaRama
View Profile

New!

So tomorrow is my birthday and my mom knew I really wanted a skink so she called petco... more like pet stupid and asked if they have any skinks and they said they have African plated lizards and she said well is it a skink or not well stupidly they said yes. Now my mom doesn’t know much about reptiles so I don’t blame her so when she brought it home and tried to surprise me with a skink I went what in the world and she goes "it’s a skink isn’t that what you wanted" I looked at it closer and said "no mom this is not a skink" soo... long story short I have a plated lizard instead of a skink and have been given the option to bring back the plated and get a skink or I can keep the plated. My question is how are they’re temperament I know skinks are love bugs for the most part and I know that all reptiles need a adjusting period and take time to get used to people and I can’t expect a tame lizard right off the bat. I have reptile experience 3 iggys 2 beardies 2 tokay gecko and 2 leopard geckos. Are these a more look and don’t touch or do they become social creatures? I would feel bad bringing the little guy back to petco cuz i know they take horrible care of their animals but if this is more of a display reptile then not to sound ignorant I’m not really willing to keep it. I’ll read the care sheets and research for awhile but I’d like to hear info from people who own them and have real life experience with plated lizards so any info you feel like throwing into this thread would be great.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading.

02/11/11  05:30pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2204383

New!

Their brill little critters & make very interesting captives, they learn to trust you fairly easy or to tame as they call it, read the care sheets on previous post & good luck & here’s a couple of vids>

02/12/11  03:41pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2204538

New!

02/12/11  03:42pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2204539

New!

Thanks a lot I decided to keep him or her not sure which it is because I think it’s super adorable and plus my b/f has been talking about getting one ( I think he planned it this way) lol j/k I’ve been doing lots and lots of research and I’m going to be building my plated a cage soon how big should I make it?

02/12/11  08:55pm

Glennbaggs
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2204581

New!

They are real tame i will say my wife sticks her had in the tank and they run up her arm all they way to the top of her head and sleep. she even forgot one was in her hair one day, my wife was in CVS and scared some woman when Cinnamon (plated lizard) popped her head out to see where she was. my wife said the woman almost ran out of the store.true story. we take ours out alot they sit and look at the TV but seem to want our body heat so they always come to us for warmth. they are very trusting and loving. i will never get another type of lizard.

02/24/11  07:16pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Glennbaggs   In reference to Message Id: 2206774

New!

lol that story is too funny! yeah mine has just started to come out regularly around 6pm here and he pushes his food dish around till I feed him and he doesn’t seem to mind me in his cage too much and doesn’t get scared and run and he lets me pet his back and that’s as far as I’ve gone I want to take things slow so I don’t scare him into not liking me.

02/24/11  07:52pm

Glennbaggs
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2206782

New!

rub under his neck if he lets you do that it might be time to try to pick him up. they also like rubbing on the head alot.

02/24/11  08:49pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Glennbaggs   In reference to Message Id: 2206792

New!

yeah I’ve rubbed the side of his neck area and he seems to like that a lot.

02/24/11  08:58pm

Mdf
View Profile

Message To: IguanaRama   In reference to Message Id: 2206794

New!

Just stick your hand in front of them & lead them on with a piece of food, or wait for them to investigate your hand & then lift them up, when their happy with that then just lift them up. :)

02/25/11  03:25pm

IguanaRama
View Profile

Message To: Mdf   In reference to Message Id: 2206909

New!

okie dokies I’m still just taking things slow and putting my hand in the cage and petting him occasionally and letting him get used to me I guess these guys take quick to people compared to all my other reptiles lol so I’m used to just going slow but I’ll see how it goes with him getting on my hand.

02/25/11  03:59pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area