Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

AndreaPurple   Rokdog   AndreaPurple   Rokdog   Glennbaggs  
 Member  Message

AndreaPurple
View Profile

Another question about yellow-lined platey...

I’ve read that the way to find out the sex of these guys is by the fringe on their back legs. We had the 2 of them and I noticed one of them had fringe that was obviously larger, but it was also the larger of the 2 lizards. So the smaller one has very short fringes on her back legs.... my question is, if she is not full grown, is it possible that she is a he and his fringe just hasnt finished growing?
And is there any other way to tell the sex of them?

11/29/10  05:11pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: AndreaPurple   In reference to Message Id: 2190041

the fringe aka spurs aka combs(as they look like a combs teeth) are more pronounced on males...especially a adult breeding sized male. Yes it is possible that the smaller one just hasn’t matured yet as sexing them with reliability is best when they are over 16"s TL(total length). The most reliable sexing method is via probes.

11/29/10  05:43pm

AndreaPurple
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2190053

Thanks Rokdog. I just measured her, from tip to tip she is about 16 1/2 inches. So is it likely then that she is full grown? Is it also true that the females tend to be a lil smaller as well?

BTW, I brought her home today, so she is finally mine now. Another coworker ended up buying the other one, which was a little bigger and definitely a male.

11/29/10  06:13pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: AndreaPurple   In reference to Message Id: 2190061

Yellow striped plated lizards can grow up to 24"s TL(total length) under proper husbandry conditions, females tend to be a bit smaller though. You’ll find that as a lizard grows quickly when they are young it is mostly in length. As they get close to there adult length they start expanding in "girth" that is width and a adult yellow striped platey can be btwn 2" - 4"s inches in girth. I would let your new reptile settle in and once a month measure and weigh her as to monitor its growth..Happy Herping

11/29/10  06:37pm

Glennbaggs
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2190075

Another question about yellow-lined plated...

i have two yellow plated one male and one female. i have tried on many occasions to feed them fruit with no success. does anyone else know what types of fruit they eat. i was also wondering if anyone knows how to breed them.

11/29/10  06:56pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area