Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Fayeightt@yahoo.com   Fayeightt@yahoo.com   Tiamats mom  
 Member  Message

Fayeightt@yahoo.com
View Profile

Help! I have platey questions!!

I have a few question and I need experienced advice!

I have a African Sudan plated. 1st question: If my lizard is a desert dweller, who lives in sand in nature...then why does every one say not to put sand in the terrarium? I have calcium sand in his... and also, he has plenty of places to go off the sand and eats off of the sand...

2nd question: I upgraded his cage from a 30-40 gal to a huge exo terra critter cage about 75 gal... I have red desert night light and day light about 75 watt and long desert UVB light... I have all on now becuase the cage is so much bigger. But what’s the proper wattage for the large tank I use now?

3rd question: When I give him baths should the water be more warm hot or warm cold....what temp or feel? I know they are cold blooded, so I don’t know if water feels colder or hotter to him??

If anyone can answer any of these...Thanks in advance!

09/09/10  01:11pm

Fayeightt@yahoo.com
View Profile

Message To: Fayeightt@yahoo.com   In reference to Message Id: 2174602

update: Well, I learned that they are not technically "cold blooded" but;

The popular assumption is that reptiles are ’cold blooded’ and therefore feel little or no pain. In fact, they are ectothermic rather than cold blooded. This means that (unlike endothermic mammals and birds) reptiles have little physiological control over their internal body temperature and are instead almost completely reliant on external heat sources to provide them with enough warmth for their natural activities and for metabolic processes to operate. This makes these animals extremely sensitive even to subtle changes in temperature and humidity in their captive environment.
excerpt from: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/wildlife/ALL/350/ (interesting site about some of the unintention abuse towards out pet lizards!)

This might explain why my platey get so stiff in his baths... Warmer bath is the answer.

09/09/10  01:32pm

Tiamats mom
View Profile

Message To: Fayeightt@yahoo.com   In reference to Message Id: 2174602

Answer to your first question - I never used sand so Tiamat wouldn’t eat it and get impaction. She seemed very happy with the coconut husk that I used for bedding. It was also easy to clean because the waste was a different color and therefore easy to see. It’s also a bit cheaper since it didn’t need replacing so much as replenishing.
For your next question - I don’t think you need any higher wattage than you’ve been using. They will go under the light, if possible, and bask in it when they want and go away from it when they don’t. My light is a 13 watt compact fluorescent uv light that truly lit up the ~45 gallon tank I have.
Third question - I never bathed Tiamat in water. Her previous owner did however, and used warm water like you would use for a baby, test it on the inside of the wrist - it should feel the same as your skin. But go quick, they cool off fast. I always used baby oil to remove the dead scales and keep her supple. She loved the attention and it helped keep her socialized and handleable. She was ticklish under her legs and arms and didn’t like her tail touched too much, but she absolutely loved being gently rubbed down with the oil. She would even let me do her nose and eye ridges. Good luck with yours, they are wonderful animals and I miss Tiamat so much already; she died 9/18 after 18 years of life.

09/21/10  02:22pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area