Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

LizaB2008   Chris14   LizaB2008   Chris14   LizaB2008   Chris14   LizaB2008   Chris14   LizaB2008   Chris14   LizaB2008   TutThePlatedLizard   Chris14   LizaB2008   TutThePlatedLizard   LizaB2008  
 Member  Message

LizaB2008
View Profile

Getting a Plated lizard

What are good things to have as far as bedding, hiding areas, bowls, etc. I plan on doing research, do it with all of my pets, just thought I’d get a few already owners opinions.

02/06/10  03:59pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2121004

Getting a Plated lizard

For beding just plain dirt is the best thing for them.for hides u can use just regular store bought hides. and same for the bowls.

02/08/10  07:33pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2121655

Getting a Plated lizard

Now, is it better to use a dirt/sand mixture or just plain ol dirt. I have tons of hides already, and is it better to use a glass bowl or plastic?

As far as I have read they are omnivores, do they need more of one certain group? And is a 75 gal reptile terrarium ok or should I build a cage?

02/09/10  02:55pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2121897

Getting a Plated lizard

Just plam old dirt is good sand is bad for them. a Plastic bowl would be better. Wax woems are a good staple with different greens. 75 is perfect for the lizard. Be sure tro take it to the vet right when u get it 99.9% of them are wild caught and almost 100% have parisites so u should take them to get checked out right away.

02/10/10  11:41am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2122139

Getting a Plated lizard

I’m going to school to be an exotics veterinary technician. I’m not stupid, I take all of my animals to the vet as soon as I get them, I rescue exotics, thats my policy anyways. Wax worms really aren’t that nutritious for any reptile because they contain high amounts of fat. Not something I would make 75% of any of my insectavores diet. As far as insects go, Crickets and Cockroaches have the highest amounts of nutrients in them, pinkies provide more protein and nutrients then crickets. I certainly hope your not just feeding your reptile only wax worms and greens. As far as veggies, just greens isn’t the healthy for any animals that require them. It is also healthy to add in things like brocolli, romane lettuce, peppers, and spinach. As far as I’ve read fruits are good for them to, why did you not suggest them.

I have been reading over the previous posts and gathering useful information from them as well as reading a few books and scanning the internet for answers. Now, you answered my question about the bowl. I am going to correct you on that being that I am a reptile rescue, plastic bowls are never the best thing to use. They grow mold on the sides much faster then glass and tip much easier then a glass bowl, but the correct answer should have been neither, ceramic bowls make the best bowls to use.

You didn’t answer my question on what the better caging unit would be for them though.

My question to you Chris14, I’m guessing by the number in your screen name that you are 14, if you are not a highly experianced plated lizard owner, let alone a highly experianced herp owner. Why are you offering advice before you have done the proper amount of it on your own?

If there are any experianced Plated Lizard owners on here please feel free to give me advice on what kind of cage to use for a plated lizard, is a wooden built cage or a glass built cage better for them???

02/10/10  04:33pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2122234

Getting a Plated lizard

Sorry i meant silk works and i am 32 years old i just put the number 14. And pinkies may be good for snakes but their fat content are way to high for a plated lizard they are only good for treats. An when i said greens i thought u would know i meant more than just collard greens and lettice and fruits are only good as treats. And about the bowl i would hope you cleaned out the bowl everyday there for no mold would ever grow on it. And about your question on caging a 40 gallion aquarium is the minumum for a plated lizard but the bigger the better. I have my plated lizard in a 90 gallion tank and in the summer i built him a cage to stay in outside. I persionaly like glass cages because they hold moister better and are easier to clean. And also you need a 10.0 uvb tube light the temps for basking should be around 95 and everywhere else in the cage it should be no less than 80. An i am a very exeirienced reptile owner and I am the manager of a reptile rescue that keeps everything from alligators to iguanas i think i might know a thing or two about reptiles. I went to colledge for exotic animals for 4 years and i have my vetinarian degree from Deleware state.

02/10/10  05:52pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2122254

Getting a Plated lizard

I highly doubt you have a Veterinary Medicine PHD. Most Veterinarian’s don’t have time to get on here and chit chat with other reptile owners. Pinkies aren’t just good for snakes, you see, pinkies have bones, reptiles absorb vitamin D3 from the animals they eat. That is why Vitamin D3 suppliment is sold to dust you insects with. Pinkies are good for lizards as well as snakes because they need the nutrients from the meat and bones. Insects are not anywhere close to being more healthy then a pinkey or a mouse, and you have it mixed up, insects contain more fat then rodents. Silk worms are just as bad as wax worms as far as the nutrients goes, once again, crickets and roaches are the best insects to feed your insectavores.

It doesn’t matter if you have collard, mustard or turnip greens, greens are greens and they need more then just greens. I agree that fruit should only be fed as a treat, but thats just common sense. Fruit is high in acids and it cause a stomach upset it any reptile or avian eats to much of it.

I clean all of my cages once a week. That includes fresh bedding and water. I’ve never had a mold problem because I use the proper dishes and give fresh water as needed.

I’m not a fan of aquariums since they were intended for fish, not reptiles. And wood actually holds more moisture then glass because the moisture is soaked in rather then evaporated on the glass. I’ve never in my life, working at a pet store and running an exotics rescue, heard of a 90 gallon. There are 10, 20, 40, 55, 75, 100, 125, 150, 200, and on. But never have I heard of a 90 gallon aquarium. And glass is not easier to keep clean unless your using chemicals and if your using those on your aquarium then you reptile is probably dead.

I don’t use 10.0 UVB, I use vapor bulbs, they are ten times better and provide better UV lighting. You shouldn’t be using UV lighting for heat either, you need a seperate basking lamp.

If you are a very experianced reptile owner why do you think silk worms make good feeders? I’d hate to see what kind of care your rescued reptiles are in with the lack of knowledge you have. And you can’t just study exotics in college for four years, you have two years of gereal education classes and two years of veterinary medicine classes. Vet’s don’t specialize until they get done with their last four years of college, you should know that if you really went to school for veterinary medicine. But I doubt you did since you called it a Veterinarian Degree and spelled it wrong.

I’m not a fool Chris, I am in college to be a Veterinary Technician and I work with about 6 different Veterinarians, one of which is the most highly respected exotics vet in Ohio. Dr. Gary Riggs. I run an exotics rescue and treat my own animals. All of my animals are successfully rehabiltated and found proper homes with people who have recent experiance with the exotic they are wishing to adopt and have the financial capabilities to provide the proper veterinary care for that exotic animal. Your not fooling me. I know my stuff and I hate people who claim they are what the def. aren’t. I actually find it quite humorous.

02/10/10  08:32pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2122295

Getting a Plated lizard

Well then school must have changed since i was there. And pinkies are full of milk which is very high in fat which you should know. And if you know sooo much why are you on here asking for help? I dislike it very much when people say to others that they dont know what they are talking about when the person they are talking to has done what the other person just starting doing for a long time. And i hate when people cant just take a few tips. But no they have to be a snob. And what say do you have you are only going to colledge now! you havent been around long enough to know what I have done in my career. I just think your a new young gun who thinks they know everything but realy doesnt now squat. Ive owned and cared for plated lizards and many other different reptiles all my life i think i know how to care for them. And if you are being taught by all these great vets why dont you go and ask their oppinion? Im not trying to pick a fight here but i know that i can back myself up.

02/10/10  09:47pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2122317

Getting a Plated lizard

No sir, you cannot back yourself up. Veterinary Medicine really has not changed much over the years and neither has the schooling required for it. I never said that I didn’t know anything about reptiles, I asked what I need for the Plated Lizards Habitat. I also stated that I was going to do research of my own, and that I wanted a few of the owners opinions.

Quote:

What are good things to have as far as bedding, hiding areas, bowls, etc. I plan on doing research, do it with all of my pets, just thought I’d get a few already owners opinions.

I don’t ask the Vet’s opinions because I stated in my previous response, Veterinarians do not have time to stand around and chit chat. I work at an Emergency Veterinary Clinic, 3rd shift. We don’t have time to stand around and talk, we have tons of work to do and I’m not exactly getting paid to ask a vet opinions on a reptiles habitat.

Milk isn’t really all that high in fat, more so the vitamin D3 I was talking about, so pinkies are what you are making them out to be. Pinkies shouldn’t be fed as a main course because they are not carnivorous reptiles, but they should not be withheld from their diet either. As far as I have read, their diet is pretty much the same as a Bearded Dragon’s diet. Same goes for the habitat they should have.

Quote:

And what say do you have you are only going to colledge now! you havent been around long enough to know what I have done in my career.

I am not only in college, I work at an Emergency Vet Clinic where a Vet that has specialized in exotics works and trains me and I run an exotics rescue.

In my rescue I have:
2 Veiled Chameleon
8 Panther Chameleon
20 Fisher Chameleons
6 Blue Iguanas
2 Green Iguanas
30 Bearded Dragons
6 Savannah Monitors
4 Nile Monitors
2 Black Throat Monitors
3 Redtail Boas
4 Burmese Pythons
20 Ball Pythons
2 Childrens Pythons
3 Rosy Boas
6 Rainbow Boas
2 Green Anaconda
5 Alligators (They go to the Zoo once they reach a certain size)
8 Sulcata Tortoises

and much, much more. But no, I’m not qualified to give an opinion. Must be why you said you could put alcohol on a reptile. If you knew anything about Herp Medicine you’d know that Alcohol can dry them out and be absorbed into the skin. You also said the Neosporin was ok to use on them....Do you know what happens if the happen to ingest Neosporin?

You say you studied exotics. If you studied exotics you should know the groups that are considered to be exotics. How about you try and list those for me, I know them, but do you?

You said school has changed since you’ve been there. How long have you been out of school because, Veterinary Medicine is a Medical career and you have to continue your education even after you recieve a PHD.

Still not convinced you are a licensed Veterinarian considering the fact that you spelled it wrong

Quote:

vetinarian degree

It’s spelled Veterinarian and it’s not called a Veterinarian Degree, It’s call a Veterinary Medicine PHD. If your going to try and con someone into believe your what you say you are, use the correct terminology, because someone out there knows the correct terminology and will confront you. Guess it happened today huh.

02/10/10  10:36pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2122337

Getting a Plated lizard

Im very tired of coming on here and arguing with you, take some advice given or not i realy dont care what other people that arent even qualified to do what i do yet say. So instead of being a egghead about everything cant u just grow up and take a few tips? Probilly not because your to inmature to be wrong for once. And I could if i wanted stay here and ask for your rescues website and pound you on all the things youve done wrong but im not because im the mature one and im gunna let it go so dont come here and ask for anymore tips if your to be a snob about it or i will report you.

02/11/10  11:31am

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2122456

Getting a Plated lizard

Quote:

Im very tired of coming on here and arguing with you, take some advice given or not i realy dont care what other people that arent even qualified to do what i do yet say.

I’m not arguing with you, I’m correcting you on you reptile husbandry. You know nothing about what it takes to care for herps. As for me not being qualified, at least I know how to spell Veterinarian. Don’t claim to be a veterinarian when you don’t even know how to spell it, let alone know the correct terminology to use. You are not a Veterinarian, you are not a rescue. You are a lier and need to be confronted on it. People should not claim to be what the are not.

Quote:

So instead of being a egghead about everything cant u just grow up and take a few tips? Probilly not because your to inmature to be wrong for once.

Def. not taking advise from someone who knows nothing what so ever about basic reptile care. Feeding a reptile wax worms and silk worms for a main diet is like feeding a human potatoe chips as a main course. Wax and Silk worms are good for snacks, but crickets and roaches are the best insects to feed as a main course. Also it’s not probilly, it’s probably and it’s not inmature but immature. And I’m not wrong, so why in heavens sake should I admit to being wrong?

Quote:

And I could if i wanted stay here and ask for your rescues website and pound you on all the things youve done wrong but im not because im the mature one and im gunna let it go so dont come here and ask for anymore tips if your to be a snob about it or i will report you.

You want to critiqe my website lol. Do you even have one? Ok, well, one of the rescues I work with is Bird Nerds, look her up. I don’t have a website for the reptiles being that there are to many breeders and ammatures looking for reptiles. I prefer adopting to people I know will give the animals good homes. I’ve done nothing wrong. I don’t use fish tanks as homes, I use custom built cages and I re-make their habitats to the best of my abilities. I make sure they have the highest quality diets possible and fresh water as needed. I make my adopter sign and abide by contracts and keep track of my rescues in their new homes. I’m not a snob, I am bluntly honest and you could never be a potential adopter of mine because you have not done your research. I am hardly an ammature, and I know alot more the you considering the fact that I work at an emergency vet clininc. I see people like you bringing in their reptiles everyday because they tried treating something themsleves. What an idiot you are, recommending Neosporin for a cut on a reptile so they ingest it and become ill and the recommended rubbing alcohol on top of all of that so the persons reptile dries out and becomes ill from absorbing the chemicals. You are hardly qualified to give out information. If I made you look stupid, I’m sorry, but you deserved it because you are not who you say you are, you are a loser that sits on here and lies through your teeth about having experiance.

I’m not arguing, I am putting you on the spot for lying and I am reporting you to the Veterinary Medicine Board for falsely claiming you have a Veterinary Medicine PHD, have fun going to jail for mal practice. Couldn’t even tell me what groups were considered to be exotics, wow, some people amaze me.

02/11/10  11:49pm

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2122629

Getting a Plated lizard

alright, i haven’t come on here in years, i had a plated for several years, but honestly, don’t come on to a forum asking for opinions and help if you’re just going to blast anyone who comes your way. you’re acting like a twelve year old. its disgusting. you rag on his spelling and then spell something wrong yourself.

all in all, dont ask for help when you apparently know more. its pointless. you, madam, are a troll. now GTFO.

02/28/10  12:29am

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2127858

Getting a Plated lizard

Thanks tut for backing me up.

02/28/10  04:14pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2128062

Getting a Plated lizard

Bunch of whiners... I asked for opinions, not for help

Quote:

And I am asuming you think him claiming to have a license to practice veterinary medicine when he can’t even spell it correctly is ok? Good for you, I’ll report thins to the Veterinary Medicine Board and let them know there is someone out there performing malpractice on animals and posting it on a forum for everyone to see.

Once again, I didn’t ask for help I asked for opinions, he gave his opinion and I disagreed. Is that a crime? No, lying about being a Vet is and it’s punishable to. Have fun :) BTW, usually when someone who hasn’t posted in awhile posts to defend another poster it’s becasue that was the posters previous screen name and he changed it because someone made him look stupid. Have fun with that. I can see through the BS and you can’t tell me to GTFO when this isn’t your forum to do so. I have done nothing wrong and I am no troll, that would be you.

03/01/10  10:08am

TutThePlatedLizard
View Profile

Message To: LizaB2008   In reference to Message Id: 2128349

Getting a Plated lizard

actually, if you’d look, you could probably find old posts of mine, theyre just very old. i haven’t been on this forum in probably two or three years. i used to own a giant plated lizard, named tut, but he died back in 07 with internal parasites being the suspected cause of death. although research on the care of plateds has vastly improved since i first started working with plateds and got my own, it is still not as well known as other herps like leopard geckos and iggys. most owners have to sift through a pile of information and care sheets just to piece together the right stuff.

if you want opinions, i can give them. my opinion is that dirt is best, especially if its a few or several inches deep. a 75g would be perfectly suitable for a plated. store bought hides are generally fine, but i know i made my plated a simple cave set up with a halved clay pot with an opening on the corner of the bottom rim so that when the half was laid flat and surrounded by substrate, the opening was slightly above it and made it like he had an actual cave. plastic bowls are fine, and for water, i’d say bigger is better. if they can sit and relax in it, its perfect. as far as food goes, silk worms are definitely best if you can get them, otherwise i’d got the cricket route. veggies and fruits are a must, and i liked to vary them with what we had in the house. leafy greens, carrots, squash, and strawberries were generally what my boy got. he loved strawberries in moderation, and his absolute favorite treat was plain all natural applesauce. he’d go nuts over it, but i’d only give him like a spoonful or two at a time, only once every week or two. if you can get these guys calmed down, they can be one of the best herps you will ever own. mine was leash trained and would go outside for walks frequently, but also loved to just chill on my shoulder or on top of my head. thats all i can think of for now...

03/01/10  06:09pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: TutThePlatedLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2128541

Getting a Plated lizard

Thanks for your opinions, they sound like pretty good advise and I bet Tut was a happy lizard. Intestinal parasites is one of the leading causes of deaths to pets and it sucks, but you have to be careful of what you feed them. Most reptiles get the intestinal parasites from the rodents and raw fruits and veggies they eat. When I had my iguana I froze all my fruits and veggies before feeding them to her. I feed f/t to my carnicrous reptiles to assure that the rodent in parasite free. Like the name for the Plated......

This is Rah, my Savannah Monitor

03/02/10  09:15am

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area