Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Asaya   Rokdog   Asaya   Sktv194  
 Member  Message

Asaya
View Profile

Can Plateds get ticks?

Hello! My yellow throat plated lizard has had a odd spot on the upper potion on his tail since the day we got him (sometime in May). We had assumed it was an old injury that would eventually disappear as he grew and shed. Well, he’s around 20 inches now, and that spot is still there. To me, it looks sort of like his tail came off and was re-attached, which I know, of course, is not possible.
Today my BF was speculating that maybe he has a tick in there. But we’re not sure if that’s even possible. Would the lizards plates move enough to allow a tick to burrow in there? Any advice, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, a vet visit isn’t an option right now.
Thank you!

01/12/10  07:33pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Asaya   In reference to Message Id: 2113209

Can Plateds get ticks?

Have you tried using a magnifying glass to get a closer look? And I doubt that a tick would stay attached to a host for almost 9 months with-out moving or at least growing some itself. If it is a regenerated tail it would probably look stunted and not as nice as the original lost tail. Pic’s would help

01/12/10  08:26pm

Asaya
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2113216

Can Plateds get ticks?

Thanks for replying so quickly rokdog. I’ll try to get some pics up. But the more I look at it, I think it’s just an old injury. He definately doesn’t have a regenerated tail; his is long and tapers nicely to a point. I will try to find my magnifying glass for a closer inspection though.
Thanks again!

01/12/10  10:01pm

Sktv194
View Profile

Message To: Asaya   In reference to Message Id: 2113209

Can Plateds get ticks?

Hi I was looking at pinky mice on the petsmart site and it said that what they give the mice and rats pervent ticks and everything so I guess they can get ticks.. so maybe you could give him some of those pinky mice.. their frozen and come in a bag of 50 or 100.

07/14/10  04:55pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area