Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

ALC14   Tpau15   ALC14   Tpau15   Wildsnakeman08  
 Member  Message

ALC14
View Profile

New to Plated Lizards

Hello everyone,
I recently just bought a Sudan Plated Lizard. I had a bearded dragon when I was young, but was forced to give him away when I moved. I have some questions. I am having heating trouble. My house is quite cold and I have managed to keep the temperature in the cage around 80-82F, however that is with a space heater directed towards his cage. I have a 100watt UV bulb on top of his cage as well. I have a terrestrial cage that was given to me and I am concerned that it is too tall, however I do not have the money for a new one. Right now I have only sand in his cage. What should I mix in? Also my Sudan is very skittish. He seems to freeze when I get in the room and then eventually will run into his burrow. Should I keep handling him? Another concern is that his skin looks to have a whitish haze. Is this normal? In the pictures I have seen the Plateds look like they have clean, sharp colors.

12/10/09  05:34am

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: ALC14   In reference to Message Id: 2103272

New to Plated Lizards

Hello ALC14,
If you could provide the dimensions of the enclosure that you currently have and include some pics, that would help us to help you. A minimum size enclosure for most plated lizards in a 40 breeder tank (36 inches X 18 inches X 18 inches.)

When you say that you have a 100 watt UV bulb, I assuming that it’s just a heating bulb. There are two types of UV light that diurnal reptiles like plateds need: UVA and UVB. UVA is found in white light emitting heat bulbs. UVB can be found in fluorescent sources. I would get yourself a 5.0 fluorescent reptile rated bulb. Zoo Med makes one of the best. You can also get a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) and it will emit not only UVA and UVB but heat as well. An all in one bulb. Other wise, you need to up the wattage of the heat bulb you have to get a basking area of about 90F.

You can mix in, 50/50, some lightly moistened organic potting soil (no Perlite or added chemicals.) It will help maintain humidity levels. 50% is a good level to maintain. Plateds also love to dig and burrow.

Plateds are naturally shy creatures. Just start slow and earn it’s trust and eventually you should be able to handle it better. Although, I tried the same with my blackline plated and he tolerates being held, but he definitely doesn’t like it. I respect that about him and don’t force him to be something he’s not.

He might be going into a shed. Try giving him a warm soak for 10 min or so and see if that doesn’t loosen the skin off in a few days. It also might be stress. If the poor thing hasn’t had proper lighting and/or diet for a while, that would cause the coloring to be off. I have seen some sudans with dull coloring, so, it also mabey normal. Pics would help.

-tpau15

12/10/09  02:36pm

ALC14
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2103353

New to Plated Lizards

How do I add pictures to this thread?

12/11/09  04:55pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: ALC14   In reference to Message Id: 2103720

New to Plated Lizards

You have to upload them to photobucket.com and then use the url of the pic in your message.

-tpau15

12/11/09  06:44pm

Wildsnakeman08
View Profile

Message To: ALC14   In reference to Message Id: 2103272

New to Plated Lizards

Hello; Well I just got a AD Male Sudan at first he was just soaking up all the cool water
First off the ""space heater" idea has to go, it i just not a good idea
A 100w UVB is ok These guys love to bask
Second: well thes guys like alot of "run room" but do like to climb so give it place to climb an hide too
I am using repti-bark for mine right now but mix of sand an bark would be good
Is this a tank or Wooden Vivarium from what I read you can not get good heat with tanks for these guys
These guys also like to bathe so make sure you have a big enough place for them to go in,an keep water clean,NO chorine. I even spray mine though yours may not like this, Best I can say is handle him/her about 1/2hr or so, Oh an watch out for that tail an those claws, you may want to round tips of claws down by the way with file, DO NOT CLIP CLAWS they are like Iguanas an other lizards they may bleed to death it cut worng. Yes your Sudan maybe skittish that there nature, in fact in wild they run in log etc. an it confronted will puff up body so as not to be messed with.
So yes I would keep handling him but keep in mind you may need to do so at least every other day.
I handle mine, I do need to file his nails down, Oh file like emory board is ok,but they break easy
but I use metal one,for adults, with fine edge side not rough, an keep in mine to go with the nail an round off a bit at tip, other wise when you hold it will dig those deep in your arm/hand
From what I read you can even handle these guys like cats, but takes time.
As far as color being "whitish haze" it may be sheading
since I have no photo of yours to go by I am not sure.
It also may be to dry for it, what with he "space heater" direct on it, an 100w UV going
If you can put him in a tub with water to let him soak awhile see how he does, By the way he may not want to come back out, I would do this do see if that "whithish haze" goes away, this soaking will not hurt him, oh again no chorine, in fact he will love you for it. I have more info no Sudan if intrested.

05/14/10  12:20am

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area