Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Gabe88   Kidmuathai   Tpau15   Gabe88   Rokdog   Gabe88   Gabe88   Rokdog   Rokdog   Tpau15   Kidmuathai   Kidmuathai   Gabe88   Rokdog   Kidmuathai   Replvr55   Skiddles   Replvr55  
 Member  Message

Gabe88
View Profile

Whats wrong with my plated?

i just got a played lizard she’s not eating or drinking and its scaring me all shes doing is sleeping whats wrong with her??

12/02/09  02:47pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Gabe88   In reference to Message Id: 2100827

more than likely its brumation.
if u are concerned get a fresh fecal, take it and the animal to a vet.

12/02/09  08:35pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2100933

It could be brumation, but to be sure, tell us your enclosure specs: Temps, UVB light, what you’ve tried to feed it so far, bedding, enclosure size, everything. Including some pics would help too.

It also could be stress related (new reptiles can become stressed out when they are first brought home. They can become lethargic and have no appetite.) It could be any number of things that is causing your plated to act that way, but we need more information to come to a more solid conclution.

-tpau15

12/03/09  11:27am

Gabe88
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2101092

well shes about a foot long she has a 26 gallon tank UVB 26 i tried feeding her grapes she only ate one of them and sardines and she hasnt touched it she have a bed i just spent all of my money on her

12/03/09  01:34pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Gabe88   In reference to Message Id: 2101115

Whats your temperatures? Warm zone, cool zone and basking spot temperatures.

12/03/09  04:50pm

Gabe88
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2101178

uhm i dont really know much but its regulat room temp the bulb 10.0 UVB

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/grave5tone/brittney3.jpghttp://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/grave5tone/brittney4.jpg

12/03/09  06:07pm

Gabe88
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2101178

uhm i dont really know much but its regulat room temp the bulb 10.0 UVB

12/03/09  06:11pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Gabe88   In reference to Message Id: 2101210

read the care sheet for your reptile as sand is not a very good substrate for plated lizards. You NEED to get a thermometer AND a HEAT LAMP for the reptizone 26watt 10.0 UVB light throws off very little heat. You can use a regular house bulb, around 100 watts should do, and place it at one end of your tank. NOT IN THE MIDDLE for your going to create a WARM ZONE where your heat light is and the other side of your tank will be a COOL ZONE where your pet can go to cool off. When you get a thermometer take the temperature AT SUBSTRATE LEVEL. Should be 90 to 95 degrees farhenheit in the WARM ZONE and btwn 78 to 82 degrees farenheit in the COOL ZONE(the side of your tank away from the heat lamp). You’ll also want to add a hiding place for your pet and some rocks UNDER YOUR HEAT SOURCE so your pet can climb up on and thermoregulate(change his body temperature). Your plated lizard is more carnivorous(meat eater) than herbivorous(fruits & vegtable eater). He would probably prefer a diet of insects such as crickets, pinky mice and super worms. He would prefer it if his food was alive and moving around instead of a non-moving dead fish (sardine). You can try to offer him fresh fruits and vegtables but he will probably prefer insects & mice over these. Hope this helps, but you REALLY NEED to go to the CARE SHEET forum as these will give you specific husbandry requirments( how to care) for your pet.

12/03/09  07:43pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Gabe88   In reference to Message Id: 2101210

after looking more closely at your pictures, your tank IS TO SMALL for your lizard. You Will need a bigger tank and MUST GET A THERMOMETER!!! START OFF with a 60 watt bulb for heat instead of the 100watt one as previosly mentioned and monitor temperatures WITH A THEMOMETER.

12/03/09  07:50pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2101265

Rokdog is right.

I would get at least a 40 gal breeder tank (3ftX1.5ftX1.5ft) to house a plated. Also, I am pretty sure your plated isn’t active because the enclosure isn’t warm enough. Room temp is not good enough. Reptiles can not create their own body heat and rely on external means to heat and cool their bodies, aka a heat lamp on one side of the enclosure to create a temp gradient.

You need to get the husbandry right in order for your plated to want to eat and thrive. Keep in mind that plateds are omnivorous; they need meat (feeder insects like crickets) and fresh veggies in their diet. I also agree that you should read about plateds to help get your husbandry on track.

-tpau15

12/03/09  10:36pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2101315

i always prefer overkill. remember they are wild animals. and need lots of room
thor’s cage is 2’ x 2’ x 6’ with multiple hides and 4" of soil to dig in.

with a bigger one planned.

a good natuaral topsoil would be good for your plated too. remember that sand especially calcium sand is eaten and hard to digest.
i use a 50/50 mix of sand and natural pottingsoil. and keep it damp. this prevents dust, and makes it so they can burrow. and every week or so loosen up areas that are not used as burrows.

just my 2 cents worth. i do same thing for my argie. but he dosent tend to burrow

12/03/09  11:47pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2101335

also make sure u give them calsium and a good multivitamin. calcium is very very important unless u want your animal to suffer later on in life

12/03/09  11:48pm

Gabe88
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2101337

can i get 1 of these for her?

12/04/09  06:40pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Gabe88   In reference to Message Id: 2101554

Plated lizards are TERRESTRIAL LIZARDS(meaning they spend most of there time on the ground) thus needing HORIZONTAL SPACE. A enclosure, like the one pictured above, is a VERTICAL ENCLOSURE more suited for ARBOREAL Reptiles(lizards that spend most of their time climbing in trees). I would look into getting at least a 40gallon breeder tank or 55gallon tank. One that is much wider than it is tall. Say, 36"inches WIDE(left side to right side measurement) x 18"inches DEEP(front to back measurement) x 18"inches HIGH/TALL(top to bottom measurement) Plated lizards make pretty good pets, once their requirements are met, as they become quite docile/tame with proper handling. Keep us up-dated.

12/04/09  08:26pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2101577

for example here is one i have for my bearded dragon.
thought the decor has changed alot since then. its similar in size to what my plated is in

but the plated cage is taller to accomidate 4 inches of dirt for burrowing.

12/06/09  12:47am

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2101914

Um Im sorry but I dont know much about plated but surely wanto ne and if that is all I could give it, then I would never EVER own a reptile. That poor lizard looks sad! That looks like a 10 GAL tank to me! That poor lizard! I truely doubt we will ever see that plated lizard get a true cage. This person obviously doesnt know what is going on here....

Wow....

04/17/10  12:20am

Skiddles
View Profile

Message To: Replvr55   In reference to Message Id: 2141225

i think prehaps your lizards problem is lack of space before i got my skiddles she didnt move much cause her tank was waaay to small and now she’s in a 4 foot long by like 2 foot wide tank if not bigger and she loves it i use tree bark bedding or what ever along with a heat lamp and a log for her to burrow under when she wants to and she loves it ^ ^ looking at your pics makes me think of the first day i met skiddles and itmakes me sad

04/25/10  01:35am

Replvr55
View Profile

Message To: Gabe88   In reference to Message Id: 2100827

How is the plated? Did you ever get a bigger environment for him/her?
I hope you come back and respond.... I am worried about that lizard...
How did you even get this plated or why...from what you said in your reply with the pic, " you dont know much". That’s scary when you have a reptile that is relying on U to make sure it is happy...

I would take that lil guy in if they were closer. Truely sad....

05/04/10  11:08pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area