Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Kidmuathai   Tpau15   Kidmuathai   Kidmuathai   Tpau15  
 Member  Message

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Staying in his hide, not eating

i just bought a clack lined ,or red sided. as i said in a previous post he was in pretty bad shape.
figured id try to save another reptile.

he stays in his hide. ( a burrow with rock over it) about 99 % of the time.. i also have not seen him eat or poop at all. isi t possible he is trying to hybernate?

i give him a bath every other day to make sure he is hydrated. but i hate botehering him. especially itf it’s brumation

ive offered mealworks, crickets, strawberries, b;ue berries, collard greensh, he wont touch any of them.

assuming its a he.

11/27/09  09:36pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2099538

Do you have UVB lighting? What’s the basking temp? I would say at least part of the skittishness is because you just bought it; he’s a little stressed out and it takes a little while for them to become accustomed to their new surroundings.

If he is as bad off as you say he is he shouldn’t brumate, if that is indeed what he’s trying to do. Sick reptiles can die if they brumate. Up the basking temp just a little. It should be about 90F, but you could up a little to maybe 95 or upper 90s F, especially since he’s not doing so well right now.

When you bathe him, you can try putting something like Repti-Aid in the water with him. He’ll absorb some through the skin while he’s soaking and it will help get some electrolytes into him. If you can gently get him to eat some too that might kick start his tummy a little. Keeper offering foods like you have been and just give him a little time. If you still can’t get him to eat (although, buying a sick plated I would have done this asap) take him to a reptile Vet.

-tpau15

11/27/09  10:20pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2099551

ya he saw the rep vet. im just worries about him. he’s the 4th rescue. i just ut in his uvb light today.
a reptisun 10.0 longtube. same as a i use for the beardies and frilled i own.

basking temps are 90. ill bump em up. i havenst seem him bask yet. just hide under his rock in his burrow. but ill give him another week and see how he does. if he dosent improve ill take him bac. but given all he went through, and it only being a few days im sure its prob stress related. but id rather ask a few question, than not know what i mean

11/27/09  10:56pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2099561

last night he destroyed the strawberries i had put in there.
there was probably about a cup of them. now theres just juice
hurray

11/28/09  08:59am

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2099629

That’s great news. I hope he continues to get better.

-tpau15

11/28/09  07:50pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area