Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

ShadowSpark   Rokdog   ShadowSpark   Rokdog   ShadowSpark   Rokdog   ShadowSpark   Rokdog   ShadowSpark  
 Member  Message

ShadowSpark
View Profile

Questions about Thing - my Yellow Throated Plated Lizard

Okay, I’ve had Thing for about a year now. I think Thing is female, but I am not completely sure. She(?) is about 13’’ long - including tail. I have her in a 20 gallon long tank with 3 1/2’’ of reptile sand as a substrate. A large shallow water dish, and a basking rock/hide are also there. My in-tank thermometer says that the ’hot’ side of the tank is 95 degrees and the ’cool’ side is 80. Thing was 3 months old when I got her. I have several questions. 1. Is Thing full grown? 2. Is her habitat correct? 3. The only thing she will eat is crickets, is this bad? 4. She sheds in flakes, what do I do? 5. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.

Spark

11/26/09  10:55am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: ShadowSpark   In reference to Message Id: 2099103

Sand isn’t really the best substrate as these lizards like to burrow into the substrate. Organic potting soil would be better. Tank is on the small side as a 40 gallon breeder tank would be better for these lizards get up to 30" inches. You make NO mentioning of full spectrum UVB lighting as this IS the MOST important facet as to lighting requirements. With-out UVB lighting your reptile will not be able to metabolize/synthesize calcium in its diet thus making it succeptable to ALL kinds of health problems. Your temps are good though UVB will help with shedding issues and you may want to get a hygrometer to moniter humidity levels as this will also affect Thing’s shedding. Also, are you using a calcium/D3 supplement to sprinkle on food items?

11/26/09  12:11pm

ShadowSpark
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2099118

Thank you for the advice! I have a daylight heating lamp, as well as a UVB light. The substrate is calcium sand, but I’ll look into organic potting soil. How about top soil? Would that work? Yes, I do sprinkle the supplement on Thing’s food. As for humidity, what are good levels? Anything else that might help?

11/26/09  01:13pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: ShadowSpark   In reference to Message Id: 2099135

You can mix your existing sand, as long as it has been kept clean, in with NEW potting or top soil. Just make sure that there are no fertilizers or pesticides in the soil, best off buying a new bag of organic soil. Humidity level should be around 50%. You’ll also need to work the soil about every 2 weeks as it has a tendency to compact/harden thus making it harder for Thing to burrow. 5" of substrate should be sufficient. I like the name Thing as it is fitting for a reptile. What the h... is that thing? As for diet, most omnivores are primarily carnivorous for their first year and kinda develop a taste for fruits and veggies as they mature. Crickets are a good staple as long as they are "GUT LOADED" prior to feeding as this makes them more nutritious for Thing. As you go along offer him super worms, pinky mice, earth worms just to change up Things diet. What is most important is that Thing is eating on a regular feeding schedule.

11/26/09  04:11pm

ShadowSpark
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2099164

’GUT LOADED’? What does that mean? As for the name, I had two lizards first. Thing One and Thing Two. But then Thing Two got very sick and died. Our local herp vet said that Thing Two had a parisite. I couldn’t save it... So, now Thing One is just Thing.

11/26/09  06:57pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: ShadowSpark   In reference to Message Id: 2099217

If you buy your crickets from a pet store they should be able to tell you if they are "gut loaded" or not. Just ask them. Gut Loading(filling their tummy) is simply separating & feeding the crickets/insects that you intend to feed your lizard higher quality food items for a period of time of at least 24hrs before feeding them to your pet. Thus, passing on the higher quality, more nutritious food item to your pet. In a sense, you are what you eat.

11/26/09  09:24pm

ShadowSpark
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2099238

Ah... Thank you.

Spark

11/27/09  11:54am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: ShadowSpark   In reference to Message Id: 2099365

Just wondering, has Thing been checked for parasites just to be on safe side?

11/27/09  07:52pm

ShadowSpark
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2099507

Yeah, we got her checked, after Thing Two died. The vet couldn’t find anything. Do you know of any symptoms that I can look for?

11/28/09  01:10pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area