Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Kidmuathai   Tpau15   Kidmuathai   Kidmuathai   Tpau15  
 Member  Message

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Prospective owner. lots of questions

i was reading the other post about a person looking to get into plated lizards. i have a few other question i would love answered. i own a few leopard geckos, 2 bearded dragons, and a awnry as hell frilled dragon.

as far as their personality im guessing they will be more similar to a loepard gecko, friendly but a tad on the flighty side.

my questions are thus:
1- how big will they get.
2-how often to feed.
3- whats the best subsrate for them

for my frilly in the base of her cage i use a 50% all natural potting soil/sand mix. and keep it fairly soaked for humidity purposes. all my other animals are on a astroturf looking carpet. Except for my baby leopard gecko. she is on non adhesive shelf liner.
i read through the best rated care sheets. and to me it seems that certain plated lizards need different care than others. is that correct?
the one im looking to acquire is by visual comparison either a yellow throated or maybe african.
again any help would be awsome.

11/22/09  03:07am

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2097545

1 - Yellow Throats grow to about 18 inches on average and Sudans can reach 30 inches.

2 - Depends on the age of the lizard in question. Younger lizards should be fed more often than older ones. Plateds are also omnivorous, but younger lizards are more one the carnivorous side.

3 - I use organic potting soil (no chemical additives) for my Black-line Plated. I keep it lightly moistened and well mixed. Plateds love to dig, so I keep the substrate at least 3 inches deep. The sand soil mix could be used.

-tpau15

11/22/09  11:54pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2097861

thanks for the help. i bought one today for 20.00.
he was in kinda rough shape. but only one they had. so they gave me a deal on him.
he went straight from the store to the vet. .

he had a sore on his side from what i thought was a scale or piece of debris stuck in his side.....
after we pulled on it and saw legs moving we found out he had 4 lare ticks embedded in him in varius areas.
he also has a sore on his nose from rubbing.

but the ticks are removed, ointment on the nose, and after 2 hours of being in his new home he changed from black with highlights to more of a gold color.

amazing what a caring person can do.

il post pics in a few days once he has had time to adjusta bit, and i get him in his permanant cage.

he is in a old quaranteen box right now, just fora few days. its 2x3 with about 5" of soil to dig in, and some rocks that he’s already dug under.

11/23/09  10:48pm

Kidmuathai
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2098151

and according to some pics ive seen in this forum. id say mine is a red sided plated. not a yellow throat.

11/23/09  11:14pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Kidmuathai   In reference to Message Id: 2098159

So you have a Black-line plated like I do. I’d love to see pics of him(?). I’m glad you got a hold of him and are taking good care of him now. Poor guy.

-tpau15

11/24/09  11:42pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area