Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

Phoenix54   Chris14   Phoenix54   Tpau15   Phoenix54   Tpau15  
 Member  Message

Phoenix54
View Profile

New here..getting info

Hi all. I am new to this part of the forums. I have 2 bearded dragons right now and wanted to look into the plated lizards. Their habitats seem to be some what like beardies. I would of course be building one and have all his proper lights.

I was wondering how their temperments are. Are they chill or do they run around crazy? Do they like to hang out with you...etc. ?

So, I also see you talking about fruits and what not. Where can I find a good caresheet on what to feed..how often etc. ?

Do they stay carnivors for life or change like beardies as well?

Thanks for any help!
Lauren

11/10/09  11:15pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix54   In reference to Message Id: 2094233

New here..getting info

Hi plated lizards are great pets. They are pretty mellow but will let you know when they don’t want to be held. The habitats aren’t that much a like. Plated lizards like deep soil so they can dig. They are carnavors all their life. It is hard to get them to eat fruits and veggies but try to get them to have some like once a week just regular collard greens is good.

11/11/09  05:19pm

Phoenix54
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2094448

New here..getting info

Intresting...

So they dig? Should I worry about impaction if I get a baby?

Where is a good sight for these lizards? That have caresheets..etc. I need to find more pics.

Do they need to be held everyday? Lol, I know that sounds stupid but some animals dont.

I dont want to bother and ask questions I can find on web but if there is anything else that I should know please feel free to let me know!

Thanks,
Lauren

11/11/09  07:41pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix54   In reference to Message Id: 2094500

New here..getting info

Plateds are not carnivores their whole lives; they are omnivores.

Yes, anytime you use loose substrate impaction is a concern. But, if you provide a large feeding dish or perhaps a raised flat rock to eat from, ingestion of substrate is much less of an issue. Plateds do love to dig.

The Plateds in my experience are not as "cuddly" as say a bearded dragon or leopard gecko. They have a fierier disposition. My Blackline Plated tolerates being held, but he definitely lets me know he don’t appreciate it. I respect that about him and don’t hold him unless I need to, or if I haven’t in a while just to keep up appearances. Many people have similar experiences with regards to holding Plateds. That’s not to say that all of them are like that.

If you are just looking for more pics, I would just do a search on the different types of Plateds, the ones common to the pet trade: Yellow Throat Plated, Sudan Plated, Tawny Plated, Giant Plated, and Blackline Plated.

-tpau15

11/17/09  05:13pm

Phoenix54
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 2096318

New here..getting info

I know I want a Sudan for sure. When I saw the pic of them I just fell in love.

My beardies are both different. One is very large and a big lover. You dont even have to hold him much for him to be so nice. The other is very small for his age and not the nicest either. lol. He will attack you sometimes and then get close to you the other times.

I saw the Sudan is simular to the beardies environment. Little differences are ok to me. I dont need a big cuddler but I do a lizard that gets to be 2 feet at most and that is the size I prefer. Which I saw they get to that size or smaller. I want a male also. I already have a cage in mind to build. I built our beardies cages as well.

Are they allergic to any type of wood like most lizards?
So they are both veggie eaters and meat eaters?
they change to strickly veggie when older did you say or no?
I need a good site that can show me the sudans in their environment and all the specs please.

Thanks!
Lauren

11/18/09  02:30pm

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix54   In reference to Message Id: 2096571

New here..getting info

Yes, they need both plant and meat in their diet. As babies they’ll be more on the carnivorous side, and as adults they’ll be more on the herbivorous side, but they will still need both plant and meat in the diet at any stage to be healthy, just in different ratios.

Coniferous (evergreen) tree woods should not be used in the enclosure. Those woods contain chemicals that cause respiratory distress and skin irritation. Other than that I am not aware of any allergic reactions to woods for these lizards.

-tpau15

11/18/09  03:48pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area