Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Plated Lizards Forum

HannibalRising   Chris14   HannibalRising   Chris14   Rokdog   HannibalRising   Rokdog  
 Member  Message

HannibalRising
View Profile

Yellow lined plated. Confused :(

Hi, i have a 100 gallon tank. i use a 60 watt normal house bulb at one side of the tank, and then a red tinted 60 watt on a night to mimic darkness. is this ok? i only have 1 lizard but i arnt sure what temperature to keep the enclosure at. people say many different temps. but they say degreese, is that o’C or o’F ????? a quick response would be greatly appreciated. i am a novice.....

10/22/09  04:44pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: HannibalRising   In reference to Message Id: 2087550

mostly they tak farenhite. the basking temp should be about 95’f and the rest of the tank should be about 75’f

10/22/09  11:46pm

HannibalRising
View Profile

Message To: Chris14   In reference to Message Id: 2087731

thankyou chris, just so happens my name is chris 2 lol, my lizard seems depressed, or lonely, i handle her atleast once a day, she just doesnt move about alot, she just lays ther and looks sad, she is eating normally and everything, is she just being lazy or is she fed up?. what can i do to encourage her to move/explore?

10/23/09  03:05pm

Chris14
View Profile

Message To: HannibalRising   In reference to Message Id: 2087949

Try to put new thing in her enclouser and let her explore different areas.

10/23/09  03:31pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: HannibalRising   In reference to Message Id: 2087550

You don’t mention using a UVA/UVB light source. They need this to metabolize calcium in their diet properly and body temp must also be right in order to propely digest their food. CHECK OUT THE CARE SHEET INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR LIZARD!!!!. Also, 1 60watt bulb for a 100gal tank sounds insufficient as far a reaching a ambient temperature from 82-88 degrees farenheit w/cool zone of 74-78 degrees. Basking light area should reach 105 degrees farenheit as these lizards are known to be lethargic if they can’t reach proper thermal regulated body temp. Do you have a undertank heat mat for your pet? Also, what kind of substrate are you using as plated lizards LOVE to burrow into dirt. Hope this helps as Plated Lizards are great pets as they are known for becoming quite tame.

10/23/09  09:08pm

HannibalRising
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2088036

ok how can i tell if its a uva/uvb?? and thankyou for the information, i need to get its heat zone too 105 as it is only at 90 at the moment, by uv do you mean ultra violet? its just my basking area is below what it needs to be and my cool area is perfect, if i add another heat source wont it get 2 warm? thankyou again rokdog

10/24/09  12:02pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: HannibalRising   In reference to Message Id: 2088187

You may need a tight beam basking lamp which focuses the higher temp to a basking area. It also depends upon HOW FAR AWAY your light source is from where your taking your temperature reading. Since plated lizards are primarily terrestrial lizards(ground dwellers) you’ll need a temperature reading at the bottom of their enclosure or substrate surface where your lizard spends most of its time. If you go to www.exo-terra.com you will be able to find the proper uva/uvb bulb for your specific pet. I currently use a Repti Glo 5.0 Compact for my pets. I presently have my basking area on the far end of one side of the tank which allows for a heat gradient(temp reduction) at the opposite side of the tank, hence-cool zone. You should monitor temp’s in the warm zone, basking spot and cool zone until you get them DIALED IN. Especially in a newly set-up enclosure. My light housing fixtures-Arizona Hot Lamp Deluxe- come with adjustable dimmer switches that enable me to adjust incandescent bulb heat/light output.

10/24/09  01:22pm

Back to Plated Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area